#21 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18671 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostDel_Duio, on 03 April 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 31 March 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

Discovery character and casting news that Original Series fans might appreciate: LINK

Harry Mudd? Bah, I'd almost rather they make up all new characters at this point. Same thing with having Sarek in this.
They already soured me on "prequel".
It all depends on the writing and the stories. Good writers will pull it off.

Sponsored Post

#22 furie

furie

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2304 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

View PostReRushed, on 21 March 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

The Klingons should not have ridges. It's established in the canon.

Personally, I feel Star Trek is done. Enjoy the re-runs, I say.
it wasn't all the Klingons. while most of the population was infected with the human augment virus, the Klingons were curing their population on a rolling basis.

#23 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 19654 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:44 PM

Just heard Michael Dorn said that he is playing an ancestor of Worf in the Star Trek Discovery pilot.

Edit: report is being called a misquote now.

Edited by KenJennings, 10 April 2017 - 09:56 PM.

#24 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23439 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

The uniforms and tech look too advanced to pre-date Kirk. They should have went with the JJ Abrams look. Still I'll be watching.

#25 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:34 PM

I'm not a fan of prequels though I admit Enterprise grew on me although I hated it to begin with. Trying to squeeze a new story into the existing canon is a recipe for disaster and a head honcho who doesn't know the canon is worse. Kill it now.

Edited by IwillchooseFreeWill, 17 May 2017 - 11:35 PM.

#26 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 19654 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

I would someone please get all this Star Wars out of my Star Trek?

#27 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18671 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

View PostIwillchooseFreeWill, on 17 May 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

I'm not a fan of prequels though I admit Enterprise grew on me although I hated it to begin with. Trying to squeeze a new story into the existing canon is a recipe for disaster and a head honcho who doesn't know the canon is worse. Kill it now.
Enterprise started to be good when it wrote stories within the established canon/timeline.

I watched the Discovery trailer and it looks and feels wrong.

#28 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32235 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:26 AM

It looks really good

#29 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 19654 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

Good to hear that Johnathan Frakes is aboard to direct an episode! He'll be doing both Discovery and Orville.

#30 workingthemangels63

workingthemangels63

The Seeker

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:music,tv,reading,hiking,my kids and grandkids,beautiful women2

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

they should give tv series and star trek at least a 10 year rest. keep making good movies for the theaters.i thought the last series was decent at best.new mindsneed to come into the star trek world.

#31 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23439 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

More trailer footage. While I'm excited for more Star Trek this doesn't feel right as a prequel to TOS.

#32 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:02 PM

View PostJohnRogers, on 22 July 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

More trailer footage. While I'm excited for more Star Trek this doesn't feel right as a prequel to TOS.

Seems really dark and awfully slick to be pre-Kirk. I don't know why they feel the need to make so many space movies all feel the same. This reminds me of an episode of Battlestar Galactica.

Edited by EagleMoon, 22 July 2017 - 11:02 PM.

#33 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18671 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

My hopes are not high.

#34 Mosher

Mosher

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

I am a huge fan of Trek, and for the the most important thing to retain is the overall lens through which the show told its stories. A view of our world from the vantage of a future where we have improved upon our current failings. To me that is Trek, and if it can retain that I will watch.

Now, I'll have a couple of quibbles.

I don't want the show going back in time. I don't understand why they would bother. It always messes with canon unnecessarily, when moving into the future can do so much more without touching canon.

Keep the Klingons as they looked in TNG etc. It's just too iconic. People learn the language in real life and the majority of people who know Trek, even people who well remember a time before TNG, think of the same thing when the word Klingon comes up. I don't see this as a 'fresh new look' as much as I see it as the creators wanting to be able to claim ownership. It's a bad idea to update the look so drastically, and its unnecessary to incite anger in the base. If they're worried that old Klingons will keep new fans away, just don't feature them much.

But honestly, if they keep the spirit of Trek alive, something the new movies (and honestly some of the old ones) never did, I will become a massive fan. I already like the actors a lot. The much bigger question for me is will this be Star Trek, or action movie in space? Both can be good, but I'll be wanting Star Trek.

#35 Mosher

Mosher

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

Watching the trailer gives me mixed feelings.

I just find the action movie direction of Trek to be tedious and typical, and this looks like it might be that. However, it's possible they want to lure in the people who want killing bad guys to be the driving focus but are probably going to actually have more story and character development. I think the trailer is about trying to sell the show as an action packed adventure when it's really better than that. Hoping that the writing will keep the people who want the special effects and thrills and that the people who want the writing will be happy that the writing is augmented by special effects and thrills. I honestly think this will be a blend.

But it also looks like they won't attempt the weekly singular stories that I thought defined Trek. Sometimes there were longer stories, but there were always singular episodes that told a story that could stand alone. That's what I want, and I don't think I'll get that. That will bug me quite a bit, but write it well and I'll watch. Star Trek was always a mirror for us, though. Lose that and it won't be Trek.

#36 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23439 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

View PostMosher, on 24 July 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

Watching the trailer gives me mixed feelings...looks like they won't attempt the weekly singular stories that I thought defined Trek. Sometimes there were longer stories, but there were always singular episodes that told a story that could stand alone. That's what I want, and I don't think I'll get that.
I believe early interviews addressed that the series will be more serial in execution.

#37 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23439 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:08 PM

The latest on Ship Wreck Discovery.

#38 workingthemangels63

workingthemangels63

The Seeker

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

I Think putting the klingons at war with the universe is the best thing for anything star trek related to do.like the usa vs russia. is,they aint ever gonna get along well.i think this series will do well.all the other star trek series have.i wonder if this will just on cbs all access? a lot of older ST fans probably have no other way to see it but on regular tv.

#39 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23439 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:28 PM

View Postworkingthemangels63, on 30 July 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

I Think putting the klingons at war with the universe is the best thing for anything star trek related to do.like the usa vs russia. is,they aint ever gonna get along well.i think this series will do well.all the other star trek series have.i wonder if this will just on cbs all access? a lot of older ST fans probably have no other way to see it but on regular tv.
The first episode will be "over the air" on CBS, the rest will be broadcast on the CBS streaming service.

#40 workingthemangels63

workingthemangels63

The Seeker

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:52 PM

View PostJohnRogers, on 30 July 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

View Postworkingthemangels63, on 30 July 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

The first episode will be "over the air" on CBS, the rest will be broadcast on the CBS streaming service.
I dont see how it can survive with out them syndicating it out like all the other series did. i am not sure if enterprise was,but all the rest were.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #PubicLice, Fuller was fired!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users