Star Trek Discovery is a Dumpster Fire

JohnRogers

Haven't watched the most recent episode yet, but this season is by far the best they've put together yet.

Looks like STD has it’s Wesley Crusher.

That was hinted last week, but based on what else I've seen this season I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Until I watch tonight I'll remain hopeful they don't play the wunderkind again, it never works.

I'll take your 'meh' assessment over another Wesley or Nickelodeon Trek.

Just watched it. Easily the weakest episode of the season as there were too many scenes where the actors were talking to me instead of each other. Too unsubtle. However, I never got a Wesley vibe,

thankfully. But the dialog was unnatural too often, something they've been better at.

Remember some of those lame ST: TNG episodes of the first 3 seasons? Yeah The Sanctuary felt like that.

Discovery keeps showing signs of momentum and strength, only to fall back into these CW-esq fluff episodes.

I also don't like the formula Discovery has been leaning on, of giving each character an episode to flesh out their backstory, before moving on to the next. It all seems so compartmentalized and linear. If Discovery were an episodic show, it would make sense; but they're telling a big overarching story here, parsing the b-stories amid a larger a-story seems distracting. If they're going to go with the serialized format, they should allow these smaller stories to dilate the same way.

The guardian forever reveal was slightly predictable, but in the best of ways. I'm glad they went back to canon, rather than just having it be some odd entity. And I'm glad it wasn't a Q. I loved that after the years that have passed, and the wars he proclaimed to be involved in, the Guardian has evolved and grown a 'personality' of sorts. The handling of all that was exceptional, and I really enjoyed the throwback.

Ultimately, this was a good way to deal with the Georgiou problem. We know she's going to end up working with Section 31 and getting her own show, but the 31st century wasn't going to work as that setting. She grew a lot as a character in these two episodes, and I only wish we'd seen more growth from her before them; but I'm excited to see where she comes out... perhaps she arrives at DS9 around year 2400 to pick up the pieces of S31 after Sloan's death... the Bajoran wormhole always created a close proximity between the universes after all.

• Like 2

I don't know... I just didn't hate it. I know the science was wobbly, I know they kept dipping into CWesq plot devices. But they tried, and I can feel that. I haven't felt that from the first two seasons of Discovery. They really tried to get this one right, and that made it feel like Star Trek- even for all its flaws.

I'm not sure what that means. I can't really quantify it. But the hollow, cold feeling Discovery gave me in the past is dissolving; and this ride was much more satisfying.

A few things... I felt like there was an opportunity to tie Su'kal and his relationship to the Burn back to the "thought-is-space-is-time" phenomena that was explored in TNG with the traveler and Wesley. A few callbacks to that, or maybe even a stray mention of Tau Alpha C would've pulled the fantastical into the familiar just a bit, while reminding everyone that even TNG did wobbly science!

I loved the pacing in the finale. It neither felt rushed or dragged out. Maybe the action scenes went a bit too long for my taste, but only a little. It was a finale, a big setpiece for the series. I can forgive it, because it wasn't enough to affect the overall pacing of the episode.

I hate those gigantic 'ship-innard' turbolift sets. This was a kelvin-verse invention that I regret has carried over into Discovery. I prefer to think of Starfleet ships as dense and thicc. Not just full of negative space and bottomless Star Wars-esq pits.

I also really dislike that Zareh ended up getting bested by Book, instead of Tilly. I would've liked her to outmaneuver his duplicitous ass after the way he treated her.

The scenes with Su'kal and Saru felt nice. Warm, fuzzy, etc... Doug Jones wears that role very well.

Overall 7 out of 10 for the season. I'm happy to get more. And for the first time, in my opinion, Discovery was Star Trek.

A decent article about probably my favorite episode of the season and that debate with Vance.

Star Trek: Discovery Just Challenged the Federation's Fiscal Hypocrisy | Den of Geek

Not just DISCO but Star Fleet needs to stop promoting ensigns to captain.

• Like 1

I thought this season turned out to be the best of any trek this century.

It was far better than the last two Discovery seasons, although unlike many here I very much like those.

The most glaring errors of the first two seasons were fixed at least. They developed the side characters nicely, but not enough yet.

My hope is that the show will return to the old episodic nature, while retaining character growth as they go.

I do not want a 'Year-Long-Challenge" every season, you can grow characters and forge a continuity without that singular arc. Let the singular arc be the promotion of Federation values and exploration of humanity through sci-fi contact.

It's why the old Treks were so important and continue to resonate. This season was the best of any modern Trek at NOT trying to be Star Wars.

Season four of Enterprise would like a word.

That's fair. Enterprise found itself late, but your right. 4 was quite good.

I wouldn't mind CBS All Access Paramount+ finding away to tell a 90 minute Enterprise story.

I wouldn't mind CBS All Access Paramount+ finding away to tell a 90 minute Enterprise story.

I think there's a possibility that mirror Georgiou's section-31 show ends up in the Romulan War era shortly after Enterprise. That would give them a chance to retcon the awful ending Enterprise got, and give a little more attention back to that seriously underrated era of Trek.

I think there's a possibility that mirror Georgiou's section-31 show ends up in the Romulan War era shortly after Enterprise. That would give them a chance to retcon the awful ending Enterprise got, and give a little more attention back to that seriously underrated era of Trek.

Don't ask for the link because I don't remember but just yesterday I read some rumor that they're looking to bring Scott Bakula in as Archer for something.

I was really surprised they didn't shoehorn Dax into this season of Discovery.

I like having aBakula cameo, assuming it's written well.

Honestly I'm not too sure I'll be into the Section-31 show, but I will go in open minded and assuming it will be good despite my worry.