Beauty and The Beast

Ancient Ways

Took my daughters to see it earlier today. Really well done live action version of the animated movie with Emma Watson as belle. Longer and more in depth with more exposition and character development than the original. To me, the key to making this movie work right persons as belle and gaston and they nailed it on both counts. Luke Evans really nails the good, bad and funny of the character. Josh Gad is hilarious as Gaston's sidekick LeFou and does a good job of stealing the scenes he is in. It's interesting that they allowed Emma to speak in her natural English accent and many other characters to use their non French accents but had Ewan Macgregor use a French accent that was apparently so bad the first go round they made him re-record it after filming was complete. IMO that's the main thing that doesn't work. Very enjoyable and recommended.
  • Like 4

It was a shot for shot remake with little originally or creativity.

i just leave it there cause i did not like it.

but kids will so that counts for something.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Took my daughters to see it earlier today. Really well done live action version of the animated movie with Emma Watson as belle. Longer and more in depth with more exposition and character development than the original. To me, the key to making this movie work right persons as belle and gaston and they nailed it on both counts. Luke Evans really nails the good, bad and funny of the character. Josh Gad is hilarious as Gaston's sidekick LeFou and does a good job of stealing the scenes he is in. It's interesting that they allowed Emma to speak in her natural English accent and many other characters to use their non French accents but had Ewan Macgregor use a French accent that was apparently so bad the first go round they made him re-record it after filming was complete. IMO that's the main thing that doesn't work. Very enjoyable and recommended.

It was a shot for shot remake with little originally or creativity.

i just leave it there cause i did not like it.

but kids will so that counts for something.

Mick

It's interesting to hear both sides from people that I respect. I am interested in seeing it because my daughters and I loved the original so much! It will be sooner rather than later, probably, because someone in the house thinks Emma Watson is cute, sheesh.

• Like 1

Ok let me Clarify. they DID add new scenes. but they did little to nothing storywise and just padded the film. everything else WAS a live recreation.

and really a shot by shot recreation.

I' might add more when i'm less angry, lol

DAMN YOU DISNEY, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Ok let me Clarify. they DID add new scenes. but they did little to nothing storywise and just padded the film. everything else WAS a live recreation.

DAMN YOU DISNEY, lol

Mick

For two years they have been telling us this is what they were doing.

Lol. Not sure why you are so taken aback.

DAMN YOU DISNEY, lol

Mick

oh it's a BAD film though.

Emma and the beast had zippo chemistry.

SHE CAN'T SING by the way. so my fears on that were confirmed.

tthey DO have new plot points But they go nowhere. literally devices that are made to be important introduced once and dropped.FOREVER, lol

just not........good.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

DAMN YOU DISNEY, lol

Mick

oh it's a BAD film though.

Emma and the beast had zippo chemistry.

SHE CAN'T SING by the way. so my fears on that were confirmed.

tthey DO have new plot points But they go nowhere. literally devices that are and made to be important mentioned and dropped.FOREVER, lol

just not........good.

Mick

Aww. Well I really like her voice. I have the soundtrack. Worst offender for me is Emma Thompson.

I've heard nothing but praise for this film from my circle lol

Amazing film.

It is more than a shot by shot remake. Expands a lot of the lore of the original, fixes little plot holes and improves the romance.

Not sure what movie Mick watched but the romance was strong and believable, the acting superb, the styling on point, the musical numbers perfectly executed, the direction confident and assured, the new songs were outstanding.

Flawless? I enjoyed Emma Watson's Belle a lot. GREAT performance. And I enjoyed her singing. She has a sweet voice and had a lot of personality as well. But I did think it suffered in comparison to the vocals of Paige O'Hara. But had I never seen the animation, I'd have enjoyed Emma Watson a lot. So if I stop comparing, I was more than satisfied. Ewan McGregor as Lumiere was a not as lovable as the original (quite annoying at times) but Ian McKellen as Cogsworth balanced him out perfectly.

Gaston was played to perfection.

The animation of the beast was outstanding. I do think though that as a creation, he wasn't perfect. A few shots were very obviously CGI. I didn't love Emma Watson's dress either, which should have been iconic (like the originals).

But these are nitpicks. The film was tremendous. Many questions from the original are answered (for example, how come everyone outside the castle forgot there was a castle), and I just loved how they stayed respectful to the animation but didn't shy away from making small changes (Belle the inventory? Excellent idea!).

Overall this is by far the best "popcorn" movie I have seen in years. Both nostalgic and very "now". I went into this with sky high expectations and it smashed the lot of them.

• Like 1

Amazing film.

It is more than a shot by shot remake. Expands a lot of the lore of the original, fixes little plot holes and improves the romance.

Not sure what movie Mick watched but the romance was strong and believable, the acting superb, the styling on point, the musical numbers perfectly executed, the direction confident and assured, the new songs were outstanding.

Flawless? I enjoyed Emma Watson's Belle a lot. GREAT performance. And I enjoyed her singing. She has a sweet voice and had a lot of personality as well. But I did think it suffered in comparison to the vocals of Paige O'Hara. But had I never seen the animation, I'd have enjoyed Emma Watson a lot. So if I stop comparing, I was more than satisfied. Ewan McGregor as Lumiere was a not as lovable as the original (quite annoying at times) but Ian McKellen as Cogsworth balanced him out perfectly.

The animation of the beast was outstanding. I do think though that as a creation, he wasn't perfect. A few shots were very obviously CGI. I didn't love Emma Watson's dress either, which should have been iconic (like the originals).

But these are nitpicks. The film was tremendous. Many questions from the original are answered (for example, how come everyone outside the castle forgot there was a castle), and I just loved how they stayed respectful to the animation but didn't shy away from making small changes (Belle the inventory? Excellent idea!).

Overall this is by far the best "popcorn" movie I have seen in years. Both nostalgic and very "now". I went into this with sky high expectations and it smashed the lot of them.

CALLED IT IN MY HEAD!!!!!

Seriously. glad you loved it knew you would.

i probably will never see it again but that's ok.

Mick

Amazing film.

CALLED IT IN MY HEAD!!!!!

Seriously. glad you loved it knew you would.

i probably will never see it again but that's ok.

Mick

Throwing this out there:

I'd pick the animation every time.