The animal face-off: bear vs lion?

Texas King

The animal face-off: bear vs lion?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. The animal face-off: bear vs lion?

Depends what kind of bear we're talking about, Kodiak, black bear, brown bear, and I assume we're talking about an African male lion?

Of course Kodiak bear and African male lion!

The bear is too big, heavy and powerful for the lion. Kodiak's weigh around 1500lb, a male lion weighs about 400lb, so the bear is 4 times as heavy. That's too much size to overcome.

• Like 2

I wouldn't underestimate the Lion. They are natural born hunters.. they go for the throat when taking down prey. And yes, I know female lions do most of the hunting. But a lion is no pushover.

• Like 4

I wouldn't underestimate the Lion. They are natural born hunters.. they go for the throat when taking down prey. And yes, I know female lions do most of the hunting. But a lion is no pushover.

Exactly. They can and do take down animals much larger than themselves and are pure carnivores with big, gnashing teeth.

• Like 1

Exactly. They can and do take down animals much larger than themselves and are pure carnivores with big, gnashing teeth.

Yeah but the animals they take down are generally grazing animals not apex predators that have bigger paws and claws and similar teeth and jaws.

• Like 2

I guess it depends on what kind of bear and lion are going at it. Also, whose turf are they meeting on? The home field advantage can play a big part.

It is an interesting battle in general though. Obviously, the bear would have the leverage and strength advantage. But the lion would most likely be able to out maneuver the bear. If the bear stands for the attack, the lion has an opening and can go for the legs and cripple the bear. Of course if the bear acts quick enough and starts raining blows down upon the lion before it can do that, the lion doesn't have much of a chance.

Who has the bigger bite force? Obviously one good bite from either would hurt the other greatly. The bear would have to get really close in order to chomp down on the lion. I think the lion would be able to sink its jaws into the bear more easily since it can move around better.

If they try to just stand toe to toe, the bear would win. But if it becomes about cunning then the lion will be victorious. Tough call because anything can happen in the wild. I'm going with the lion. I just think that it has the better overall tools to win this.

Yeah but the animals they take down are generally grazing animals not apex predators that have bigger paws and claws and similar teeth and jaws.

• Like 4

I like the bear for the size difference but also like the lion due to its carnivorous nature and hunting prowess. However, most videos I've seen show multiple lions taking down prey not one on one so BEAR.

Depends what kind of bear we're talking about, Kodiak, black bear, brown bear, and I assume we're talking about an African male lion?

Of course Kodiak bear and African male lion!

The bear is too big, heavy and powerful for the lion. Kodiak's weigh around 1500lb, a male lion weighs about 400lb, so the bear is 4 times as heavy. That's too much size to overcome.

:yes:
  • Like 1

That's nice of you to say :blush: :coy: Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2

That's nice of you to say :blush: :coy:

Your Lion-o, you'd need Vin Panthro and Hugh Tigra to help you take down a Kodiak!

http://www.bajanreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Diesel-Panthro.jpg

• Like 3

Your Lion-o, you'd need Vin Panthro and Hugh Tigra to help you take down a Kodiak!

aw...isn't there a Cheetara to go with that lot

Eye of Thundera, give me sight beyond sight!

• Like 2

aw...isn't there a Cheetara to go with that lot

Eye of Thundera, give me sight beyond sight!

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/18/bf/d8/18bfd8382cd44b5ace4bf1365118f971.jpg

• Like 3

What about a TRF animal face off:

babycat vs ILSnwdog vs goose vs treeduck vs Chicken Hawk and any other beast I'm forgetting?

To answer the question, I'd pick a Bengal tiger over an African lion so definitely Kodiak bear over African lion.

I'm only a kitten - I wouldn't stand a chance..! :scared:

• Like 4

babycat vs ILSnwdog vs goose vs treeduck vs Chicken Hawk and any other beast I'm forgetting?

To answer the question, I'd pick a Bengal tiger over an African lion so definitely Kodiak bear over African lion.

Bbyatca vs a Turtle

• Like 2

Bbyatca vs a Turtle

Aw....! :wub:

• Like 2