What were the first few things in your Rush collection?

Mystic Slipperman

Do you remember how your Rush collection started? What were the first few things you had in it? (Album, CD, Cassette, 8-track, mp3, whatever)...

My best friend at the time had Moving Pictures, so I didn't buy it for a few years... was going to buy it on CD when my family first started collecting them, but I had heard that early copies had clipped the intro to Tom Sawyer, so I waited a couple years until I thought a new pressing might have been created.

So.... instead of MP... my first Rush album turned out to be Signals, which i got on cassette in late 1982... in 1983, I bought Permanent Waves on LP because I kept hearing Freewill and Spirit on KLOS and loved 'em.

For some reason I didn't really collect any other Rush albums/CDs until Hold Your Fire came out, although I had a cassette dub of my friend's Power Windows CD.

Late 1987- early 1988 or so, I started buying ALL of them, in random order, as I found them in the stores. After that, of course, it was "on release day" purchases" (from Show of Hands on...)

Geeky I know, but what the hell. :)

How about the rest of you?

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 2

My first was an old cassette of the first half of Exit...Stage Left that my Dad passed down to me. When I played that to death and it eventually chewed up in the tape machine, I went and bought Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures

I had no idea Waves and Picture were the "biggies" when I bought them...I just chose them because Jacob's Ladder and Red Barchetta were my favourites from the cassette

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2

I got Permanent Waves and Hemispheres from WHSMith in January 1980. That's not cool is it? Then I got All the World's A Stage and Rush Through Time. Then I got 2112 and Archives...and so on...A Farewell to Kings was the last one. I bought it off a school friend, it was the US import. I didn't get the individual albums on Archives until a couple of years later.
  • Like 2

Hemisheres was first.My flatmate had it and he played the Trees to me and i thought it was the silliest song but it was heavy so bought my own record.Rush weren't that popular down here in Oz,they were sought of thrown in the same bag as Kansas or Styx,but i managed to find a poster which was similar to the one in Hemispheres only a lot bigger.I managed to score a badge.The import shop here had heaps of punk badges that were popular in the late 70s and i found the first album and 2112 amongst them.They were pinned on my green corduroy jacket next to the Damned,Stranglers,Pistols and Zep and Hendrix.I was a long haired punk old school metalhead.
  • Like 2

Based simply on compliments I heard about Rush, I got Caress of Steel in 1989. Hated it. I thought it sounded dated. Then decided to get their latest release then - Presto. Hated it. I thought it was too poppy, in a time when I listened to Slayer and Anthrax everyday. It took me 7 more years to give them another chance - I traded some CDs with a friend and ASOH was part of the deal, and THEN I was ready to like them.
  • Like 3

Became a Rush fan around 86 when I was blown away with ATWAS. A friend of mine told me his dad had some of their albums on vinyl, so he made me illegal copies of GUP and PoW. I didn't think it was the same band but I needed to get a copy of that album that I was blown away with (btw, I did not know the title of the album was ATWAS. Just knew it was Rush). Then I bought MP and 2112 on cassette. My mind thought 'Nice. Now we're talking Much better than GUP and PoW'. Then I was hooked and immediately had to have the entire catalog.

I think my next purchase was Archives on vinyl cause I got 3 albums all at once. So much excitement. Don't remember what was next but I did have the whole catalog within a year between cassette and vinyl. But then CDs became the thing a couple years later and had to rebuy the whole catalog on CD.

Other than music, I think my first purchase was the songbook Rush complete Vol 1. Although I didn't play guitar, it had all of the lyrics in it as well as the abbreviated history of Rush written by Peart. My first shirts were two Hold Your Fire shirts purchased at my first Rush show - the red one that looked like the album cover (I wish I still had it and it was a size bigger) and the black one with Rush written out 4 times in a sort of criss-cross pattern.

• Like 2

My story of my first Rush collection goes way back to I think, 1999. My Dad exposed me to Power Windows and Moving Pictures during that time, and I loved those two. I then heard his "Show of Hands" cassette, and so when the Rush Remasters collection was coming around at that time, I bought "Signals" because it had Subdivisions which I really liked. He had done a fantastic job of explaining that song to me and it's lyrical meaning about peer pressure. And it was because of his explanations is why I grew to like Rush to this day.
  • Like 2

My Rush collection started in about '77, and consisted of vinyl versions of all their albums up to that point (all 6 of 'em -- I didn't own Archives...didn't see the point).
  • Like 2

In Montreal, with the video for Mystic Rhythms on 24/7 rotation on MuchMusic, I bought the Power Windows cassette (that was what I was buying as a preteen). I had already been indoctrinated by the Distant Early Warning video a year earlier, although I didn't buy Grace Under Pressure until my parents moved me back to Portugal and I was feeling homesick. Then I bought Grace Under Pressure on Portuguese vinyl. The first vinyl is still in my collection, the cassette is not. I just wish I had had the wherewithal to buy the Red Sector A & The Body Electric singles from Sam The Record Man when I was still in Montreal! I was already buying singles at the time, but mostly duran duran and a few others with exclusive b-sides that interested me.

Hold Your Fire was the first album that I bought on the release day on Portuguese vinyl and I slowly started augmenting the back-catalogue. I would buy Presto & Roll The Bones on German vinyl & CD (Portugal stopped producing vinyl at the time) as well as A Show Of Hands on German CD, before being so turned off by Counterparts that it wouldn't be until after the remasters that I would revisit the band. It was actually in the late 90s when I finally got around to buying all the albums and firmly establishing my RUSH fandom. I have bought every album from Geddy Lee's My Favourite Headache through Clockwork Angels on the release day and have since gone back and found all of the original Canadian releases on vinyl with a few exceptions that I am still in search of. I also got all of the albums on pre-remastered Canadian released CD (WANK & VANK, not ANC, except Moving Pictures & 2112 (ANMD)). Collecting is fun, because there is always something you don't have that is somehow different and important. I feel closer than ever to having a definitive collection, but still miles away from having a comprehensive collection.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 2

All of my 'first' Rush albums, the earliest ones, my brother bought and gave me cassette copies of. At the very beginning, that was Fly By Night, 2112, and A Farewell to Kings...then everything from Permanent Waves through Power Windows, as they were released. The first Rush album I bought on my own was Hold Your Fire. I was 14.

First Rush shirt, bought at my first Rush show- Presto tour, March 1990. And a couple more after that.

For as long as I've been a fan, on the merchandising end, I really don't have much of anything. (My sons bought a bunch of Rush guitar picks for me for my birthday a few years back, though, which I enjoy).

• Like 1

My wife calls my office my "Rush apartment". I've had a few people tell me that my collecting of all things Rush is a sickness.

I know the feeling. I could have so much more Rush goodies if I had the space. I just end up stopping myself. I do have a major t-shirt problem though. :LOL:

• Like 1

I got Permanent Waves and Hemispheres from WHSMith in January 1980. That's not cool is it? Then I got All the World's A Stage and Rush Through Time. Then I got 2112 and Archives...and so on...A Farewell to Kings was the last one. I bought it off a school friend, it was the US import. I didn't get the individual albums on Archives until a couple of years later.

Noob.

I got A Farewell To Kings on day of release. Already had all the other albums by then. All vinyl of course.

• Like 2

Noob.

I got A Farewell To Kings on day of release. Already had all the other albums by then. All vinyl of course.

That just reveals that you're an old man, a very old man! :codger: :codger: :codger: :codger: :codger:

had borrowed a couple albums 2112 and permanent waves but after winning a few quid in an art competition at school i invested the money in my own vinyls of Hemispheres & AFTK

the feeling was like holding the actual tablets that the Ten Commandments were written on

• Like 1

Noob.

That just reveals that you're an old man, a very old man! :codger: :codger: :codger: :codger: :codger:

There was record store, more of a warehouse really, off Oxford Rd, called Yankees, or Yankee Records, I think. Do you remember the place. Lots of imports, usually had the top right corner snipped off for some reason.

• Like 1

Noob.

There was record store, more of a warehouse really, off Oxford Rd, called Yankees, or Yankee Records, I think. Do you remember the place. Lots of imports, usually had the top right corner snipped off for some reason.

Yanks not Yankees, yes I remember it. Later on, I think in the 90's it changed to Power Cuts.