Official 2017 MLB Season Thread. Play Ball!!

RUSHHEAD666

It's great for the city of Houston! Imagine...possible Astros, Texans, and Rockets titles all within a year of the hurricane disaster.

That is some serious good karma.

The way the Warriors look so far I would say the Rockets have a great chance to win it all!

• Like 1

This should be a good series. The two teams that got out to smoking hot starts. Neither team is despicable. ;)

I’m happy.

A lot can change in four years, I guess is what you're saying.

It's a replay of the 1980 National League West tiebreaker...and you say there's no history between LA and Houston, goose...SMH

Fun facts...

In 1981, a 50-day players' strike wiped out nearly 40% of the season and baseball made a weird situation somehow worse by splitting the season in half and declaring the champs of each half meet in a division series.

How bad did that work out? Well, the Cincinnati Reds and St. Louis Cardinals finished with the best overall records in the NL - and missed the playoffs.

The Dodgers and Astros were the happy beneficiaries as the half-season champs of the NL West and met in a five-game series. It did not lack for big names or drama: Future Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan started Games 1 and 5 for the Astros, while 1981 was the season of Fernandomania for the Dodgers.

Neither disappointed: Fernando Valenzuela, just 20, pitched a four-hitter on short rest in Game 4 to force the decisive Game 5. Ryan out-dueled Valenzuela in Game 1 only to be bested by Jerry Reuss in Game 5.

How much have times changed? Both teams each used just eight pitchers in the five-game series. This year, they combined to use 23 pitchers in their league championship series.

Lots more about this matchup here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/10/22/world-series-four-facts-make-astros-dodgers-clash-historic/788248001/

It's great for the city of Houston! Imagine...possible Astros, Texans, and Rockets titles all within a year of the hurricane disaster.

That is some serious good karma.

The way the Warriors look so far I would say the Rockets have a great chance to win it all!

The Warriors are off to a lackluster start. But that's to be expected. Having been there, they no how important it is to pace yourselves.

This should be a good series. The two teams that got out to smoking hot starts. Neither team is despicable. ;)

I’m happy.

A lot can change in four years, I guess is what you're saying.

I'm rooting for the Astros, but I don't think I've ever said I hate the Dodgers. I've hated some of their players over the years.

Ladies and Gents, I hope you haven't forgotten that Fox is televising the Series. You know WHO that means. :facepalm:

At least McCarver's been put out to pasture. Smoltz does a pretty good job considering he's from Michigan.

Ladies and Gents, I hope you haven't forgotten that Fox is televising the Series. You know WHO that means. :facepalm:

At least McCarver's been put out to pasture. Smoltz does a pretty good job considering he's from Michigan.

Amen on both counts, but I'm still going to mute and close caption. Screw Joe Suck! Edited by pjbear05

Giancarlo Stanton edged Joey Votto by two points to win the National League MVP award. 302 points to 300 points. :o

1st place vote = 14 points (Stanton = 10, Votto = 10)

2nd place = 9 points (Stanton = 10, Votto = 9)

3rd place = 8 points (Stanton = 5, Votto = 4)

4th place = 7 points (Stanton = 3, Votto = 5)

5th place = 6 points (Stanton = 1, Votto = 2)

6th place = 5 points (Stanton = 1, Votto = 0)

Edited by Principled Man

Giancarlo Stanton edged Joey Votto by two points to win the National League MVP award. 302 points to 300 points. :o

1st place vote = 14 points

2nd place = 9 points

3rd points = 8 points

4th place = 7 points

5th place = 6 points

6th place = 5 points

Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

302 Joey Votto, Reds 10 9 4 5 2 300

I would have voted for Votto, but I'm more of an advanced stats guy. Not a surprise that Stanton won, he had the gaudier traditional numbers. Well, one at least, but it was damned impressive.

1st place vote = 14 points (Stanton = 10, Votto = 10)

2nd place = 9 points (Stanton = 10, Votto = 9)

3rd place = 8 points (Stanton = 5, Votto = 4)

4th place = 7 points (Stanton = 3, Votto = 5)

5th place = 6 points (Stanton = 1, Votto = 2)

6th place = 5 points (Stanton = 1, Votto = 0)

I would have voted for Votto, but I'm more of an advanced stats guy. Not a surprise that Stanton won, he had the gaudier traditional numbers. Well, one at least, but it was damned impressive.

When players are having that great of a year, they might as well make 'em co-MVP's. There is no wrong answer on this one. They were both worthy.

• Like 1