Zombie Films - Which Is Your Favorite ??

Lucas

16 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favorite Zombie Film

• White Zombie ( 1932 )
    • Carnival Of Souls ( 1962 )
    • Last Man On Earth ( 1964 )
    • Night Of The Living Dead ( 1968 )
    • Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things ( 1972 )
    • The Crazies ( 1973 )
    • Let Sleeping Corpses Lie ( 1974 )
    • Shock Waves ( 1977 )
    • Dawn Of The Dead ( 1978 )
    • Zombi ( Lucio Fulci 1979 )
    • City Of The Living Dead ( 1980 )
    • The Beyond ( 1981 )
    • Burial Ground ( 1981 )
    • House By The Cemetery ( 1981 )
    • Night Of The Comet ( 1984 )
    • Day Of The Dead ( 1985 )
    • Return Of The Living Dead ( 1985 )
    • Demons ( 1985 )
    • Night OF The Creeps ( 1986 )
    • The Serpent And The Rainbow ( 1988 )
    • Pet Cemetery ( 1989 )
    • Night Of The Living Dead ( 1990 )
    • Braindead ( 1992 )
    • Return Of The Living Dead 3 ( 1993 )
    • Dellamorte Dellamore ( 1994 )
    • Stacy ( 2001 )
    • Resident Evil ( 2002 )
    • 28 Days Later ( 2002 )
    • Shaun Of The Dead ( 2004 )
    • Dawn Of The Dead ( 2004 )
    • Land Of The Dead ( 2005 )
    • Day of the Dead 2: Contagium ( 2005 )
    • 28 Weeks Later ( 2007 )
    • Quarantine ( 2008 )
    • Survival Of The Dead ( 2009 )
    • The Dead Outside ( 2009 )
    • World War Z ( 2013 )

The Last Man On Earth has more of a "zombie" feel than Omega Man or the book .. Vincent Price is, I think, excellent and much more subtle - it is not a typical role for him as he keeps things very somber ..

It is dark and bleak, and an obvious influence on Romero's Night Of The Living Dead

And he wears a suit and tie.

• Like 1

The Last Man On Earth has more of a "zombie" feel than Omega Man or the book .. Vincent Price is, I think, excellent and much more subtle - it is not a typical role for him as he keeps things very somber ..

It is dark and bleak, and an obvious influence on Romero's Night Of The Living Dead

And he wears a suit and tie.

http://www.millionmonkeytheater.com/moviepics2/lmemorgan.jpg

http://thebigpicturemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/TheLastManonEarth3.jpg

night of the comet. saw it in the theater when I was ten. I don't know what I was expecting but it scared me.

Saw that on HBO or Cinemax in the mid-80s. I was probably 12 or 13 then but I remember it being a sci-fi/horror/comedy. I only really remember the very last scene with the younger sister taking off her sunglasses to look at the dude in the sports car who's also taking off his sunglasses.

night of the comet. saw it in the theater when I was ten. I don't know what I was expecting but it scared me.

Saw that on HBO or Cinemax in the mid-80s. I was probably 12 or 13 then but I remember it being a sci-fi/horror/comedy. I only really remember the very last scene with the younger sister taking off her sunglasses to look at the dude in the sports car who's also taking off his sunglasses.

http://i.imgur.com/Sf0WTMM.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdH8NQbvOKo&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdH8NQbvOKo&sns=em

http://i.imgur.com/1KLBe.jpg

I went with Carnival of Souls, Night of the Living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead. Not listed, but i really enjoyed this:

Warm_Bodies_Theatrical_Poster.jpg

I was going to say that I generally dislike zombie movies, but there is just one that I really loved, Warm Bodies, and it is missing from the list! This film was shot in Montreal and I have pretty much been in all of the outdoor locales used, including Mirabel many many times. It gives me the warm fuzzies, as well as being an excellent film. It should be on the list. It would be the only one I would vote for. I haven't seen many, if any, of the others!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Bodies_%28film%29

Train To Busan is definitely up there with the best!

I think it's Korean. I have seen a lot of hype for it and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Yeah it's Korean. Busan after all.

I told a friend of mine in a zombie talk years ago that there should be a zombie movie set on a train that's trying to reach some kind of safe zone. I assume that's what this movie is. It's a simple premise but that's all you need for a zombie movie anyway. Plus, the claustrophobia of a train + the ability for the characters to hide/lock themselves in other parts of the train are all there for the taking.

I should check that out.

This is the film you've been waiting for!

Thanks Segue, I didn't know about this one .... Not big on fast zombies, but it looks worthwhile

This is more of a viral outbreak than a walking dead flick...it works for me

And the entire concept of zombies is unrealistic so my imagination is fine with fast or slow.

Pretty much every fantasy concept is unrealistic, that's why it's fantasy.

Exactly.

So you only like factual drama then?

No. I like no limits on my fantasy.

Fast or slow zombies...I'm down for either.

Well what's your point then? You find the concept of zombies unrealistic but you are "down for them"?

Well they are.

So I was referring to those who are like "fast zombies are stupid". Well lol...so are the slow ones so what is your point?

I don't necessarily think fast zombies are bad, but it seems that the majority of movies that have the fast ones have a completely different vibe - less atmosphere, faster pacing, etc

With the slow, dragging zombies, the pace of the film usually follows - I like that ... In zombie movies, the slower pace usually gives the viewer the time to feel the isolation and scope of the issue

It makes everything sad ... I think sadness is a very important part of horror films

Most slow zombie movies bore me to death. I don't sense an atmosphere...I just wonder how they weren't easily killed off as soon as it started. And all the acting in Romero movies is really bad. I find the fast zombie movies, the action and sense of terror feels more real one potent and the adrenaline rush is more realistic.

If I watch a zombie film and feel bored it's because I don't believe in the "reality" being presented.

When there's a lack of verisimilitude (how's that for a $10 word?) I really struggle. I'm cool with fantasy, as long as there is some consistency with the "realities" of that universe.
  • Like 1

I went with Carnival of Souls, Night of the Living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead. Not listed, but i really enjoyed this:

Warm_Bodies_Theatrical_Poster.jpg

I was going to say that I generally dislike zombie movies, but there is just one that I really loved, Warm Bodies, and it is missing from the list! This film was shot in Montreal and I have pretty much been in all of the outdoor locales used, including Mirabel many many times. It gives me the warm fuzzies, as well as being an excellent film. It should be on the list. It would be the only one I would vote for. I haven't seen many, if any, of the others!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Bodies_%28film%29

I was really surprised how good it was.
  • Like 2

I think it's Korean. I have seen a lot of hype for it and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I told a friend of mine in a zombie talk years ago that there should be a zombie movie set on a train that's trying to reach some kind of safe zone. I assume that's what this movie is. It's a simple premise but that's all you need for a zombie movie anyway. Plus, the claustrophobia of a train + the ability for the characters to hide/lock themselves in other parts of the train are all there for the taking.

I should check that out.

Thanks Segue, I didn't know about this one .... Not big on fast zombies, but it looks worthwhile

And the entire concept of zombies is unrealistic so my imagination is fine with fast or slow.

Exactly.

Well what's your point then? You find the concept of zombies unrealistic but you are "down for them"?

Well they are.

So I was referring to those who are like "fast zombies are stupid". Well lol...so are the slow ones so what is your point?

I don't necessarily think fast zombies are bad, but it seems that the majority of movies that have the fast ones have a completely different vibe - less atmosphere, faster pacing, etc

With the slow, dragging zombies, the pace of the film usually follows - I like that ... In zombie movies, the slower pace usually gives the viewer the time to feel the isolation and scope of the issue

It makes everything sad ... I think sadness is a very important part of horror films

Most slow zombie movies bore me to death. I don't sense an atmosphere...I just wonder how they weren't easily killed off as soon as it started. And all the acting in Romero movies is really bad. I find the fast zombie movies, the action and sense of terror feels more real one potent and the adrenaline rush is more realistic.

If I watch a zombie film and feel bored it's because I don't believe in the "reality" being presented.

When there's a lack of verisimilitude (how's that for a $10 word?) I really struggle. I'm cool with fantasy, as long as there is some consistency with the "realities" of that universe.

I enjoy when things are left unexplained - at least, where some of the reasoning for everything is left open .. There is a fine line though as far as plausibility and being realistic ..

If we toss out all the great horror films because of a lack of verisimilitude ( good word btw ), then we haven't got much left .... That's where the filmmakers creative talent comes in

• Like 1

I should check that out.

Exactly.

Well they are.

I enjoy when things are left unexplained - at least, where some of the reasoning for everything is left open .. There is a fine line though as far as plausibility and being realistic ..

If we toss out all the great horror films because of a lack of verisimilitude ( good word btw ), then we haven't got much left .... That's where the filmmakers creative talent comes in

That talent in filmmaking, or writing, is in sustaining verisimilitude while transporting the viewer or reader to another reality. There's a literary genre in known as Magic realism that is based on this. It's big in Latin American lit, but Kafka's Metamorphosis is a famous example for non-Spanish speakers. A guy can transform into a cockroach, but the fantasy has to make sense. That doesn't mean all questions have to be answered, by any means, just that glaring contradictions create problems. Friday 13th's Jason can exist, but if all of a sudden he can fly or transport through walls, it falls apart. You know when you roll your eyes? That's when the creator has failed.
  • Like 1

I should check that out.

Exactly.

Well they are.

That talent in filmmaking, or writing, is in sustaining verisimilitude while transporting the viewer or reader to another reality. There's a literary genre in known as Magic realism that is based on this. It's big in Latin American lit, but Kafka's Metamorphosis is a famous example for non-Spanish speakers. A guy can transform into a cockroach, but the fantasy has to make sense. That doesn't mean all questions have to be answered, by any means, just that glaring contradictions create problems. Friday 13th's Jason can exist, but if all of a sudden he can fly or transport through walls, it falls apart. You know when you roll your eyes? That's when the creator has failed.

Exactly. Only exceptions for me are surreal fantasy where things purposely don't make sense.

Alice In Wonderland for example.

And like Lucas said, it's the skill of the film maker. Which is why Asian horror never truly works when remade by a US director. I think Asian art is more informed by deeper thinking than the US which is why the horror and fantasy from those lands have less explanation than US movies.

I do like the first Ring movie with Naomi Watts.

I also think US film companies underestimate the intelligence of western viewers.

European horror, and even British, is normally superior to US and often I find it's because there is less need to know why things happen.

I prefer the remake of Dawn Of The Dead because the horror feels more connected to reality, whereas the original is ugly, portly acted, slow and so bloated with boiling over "underlying themes" it feels less like a movie and more like a life lesson.

Even as a kid it bored me. The remake terrified me and still does. I don't need to be told fast zombies make little sense. I mean the slow ones made no sense, not because they themselves are not realistic, but because even I could knock one out!

• Like 1