Zombie Films - Which Is Your Favorite ??

Lucas

16 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favorite Zombie Film

• White Zombie ( 1932 )
    • Carnival Of Souls ( 1962 )
    • Last Man On Earth ( 1964 )
    • Night Of The Living Dead ( 1968 )
    • Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things ( 1972 )
    • The Crazies ( 1973 )
    • Let Sleeping Corpses Lie ( 1974 )
    • Shock Waves ( 1977 )
    • Dawn Of The Dead ( 1978 )
    • Zombi ( Lucio Fulci 1979 )
    • City Of The Living Dead ( 1980 )
    • The Beyond ( 1981 )
    • Burial Ground ( 1981 )
    • House By The Cemetery ( 1981 )
    • Night Of The Comet ( 1984 )
    • Day Of The Dead ( 1985 )
    • Return Of The Living Dead ( 1985 )
    • Demons ( 1985 )
    • Night OF The Creeps ( 1986 )
    • The Serpent And The Rainbow ( 1988 )
    • Pet Cemetery ( 1989 )
    • Night Of The Living Dead ( 1990 )
    • Braindead ( 1992 )
    • Return Of The Living Dead 3 ( 1993 )
    • Dellamorte Dellamore ( 1994 )
    • Stacy ( 2001 )
    • Resident Evil ( 2002 )
    • 28 Days Later ( 2002 )
    • Shaun Of The Dead ( 2004 )
    • Dawn Of The Dead ( 2004 )
    • Land Of The Dead ( 2005 )
    • Day of the Dead 2: Contagium ( 2005 )
    • 28 Weeks Later ( 2007 )
    • Quarantine ( 2008 )
    • Survival Of The Dead ( 2009 )
    • The Dead Outside ( 2009 )
    • World War Z ( 2013 )

Train To Busan is definitely up there with the best!

I think it's Korean. I have seen a lot of hype for it and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Yeah it's Korean. Busan after all.

I told a friend of mine in a zombie talk years ago that there should be a zombie movie set on a train that's trying to reach some kind of safe zone. I assume that's what this movie is. It's a simple premise but that's all you need for a zombie movie anyway. Plus, the claustrophobia of a train + the ability for the characters to hide/lock themselves in other parts of the train are all there for the taking.

I should check that out.

This is the film you've been waiting for!

Thanks Segue, I didn't know about this one .... Not big on fast zombies, but it looks worthwhile

This is more of a viral outbreak than a walking dead flick...it works for me

And the entire concept of zombies is unrealistic so my imagination is fine with fast or slow.

Pretty much every fantasy concept is unrealistic, that's why it's fantasy.

Exactly.

So you only like factual drama then?

No. I like no limits on my fantasy.

Fast or slow zombies...I'm down for either.

Well what's your point then? You find the concept of zombies unrealistic but you are "down for them"?

I think it's Korean. I have seen a lot of hype for it and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I told a friend of mine in a zombie talk years ago that there should be a zombie movie set on a train that's trying to reach some kind of safe zone. I assume that's what this movie is. It's a simple premise but that's all you need for a zombie movie anyway. Plus, the claustrophobia of a train + the ability for the characters to hide/lock themselves in other parts of the train are all there for the taking.

I should check that out.

Thanks Segue, I didn't know about this one .... Not big on fast zombies, but it looks worthwhile

And the entire concept of zombies is unrealistic so my imagination is fine with fast or slow.

Exactly.

Well what's your point then? You find the concept of zombies unrealistic but you are "down for them"?

Well they are.

So I was referring to those who are like "fast zombies are stupid". Well lol...so are the slow ones so what is your point?

I should check that out.

Exactly.

Well they are.

So I was referring to those who are like "fast zombies are stupid". Well lol...so are the slow ones so what is your point?

I don't like zombie films because they all seem pretty much the same, a group of survivors, who mostly end up being killed or turned, surrounded by zombies. I know why zombie films and TV shows are popular though. The zombie scenario is like a pessimistic metaphor for life. The survivors are your friends and family and the zombies are everyone else and they're out to get you.

I should check that out.

Exactly.

Well they are.

I don't like zombie films because they all seem pretty much the same, a group of survivors, who mostly end up being killed or turned, surrounded by zombies. I know why zombie films and TV shows are popular though. The zombie scenario is like a pessimistic metaphor for life. The survivors are your friends and family and the zombies are everyone else and they're out to get you.

Agreed. I loved them as a kid and I found the concept exciting but it's worth off now.

I tend to just enjoy the odd movie for the silliness of it all.

I should check that out.

Exactly.

Well they are.

Agreed. I loved them as a kid and I found the concept exciting but it's worth off now.

I tend to just enjoy the odd movie for the silliness of it all.

I see you getting into watching bare knuckle fighting late at night in abandoned warehouses.

I always liked the original Dawn of the Dead, though it has not aged well.

Day of the Dead is underrated.

The original Night of the Living Dead is a marvel of a film.

George Romero is way, way overrated as a filmmaker.

That Peter Jackson movie, Braindead aka Dead Alive is a hoot. As is Return of the Living Dead.

I'll go with Night of the Living Dead.

• Like 3

Where's Return of the Living Dead II?

I know, I know ... I left it off

There are only a limited amount of choices in a poll, so it was left off

A favorite of yours WCM ??

I love the first one and the third one is really good

I should check that out.

Exactly.

Well they are.

I don't necessarily think fast zombies are bad, but it seems that the majority of movies that have the fast ones have a completely different vibe - less atmosphere, faster pacing, etc

With the slow, dragging zombies, the pace of the film usually follows - I like that ... In zombie movies, the slower pace usually gives the viewer the time to feel the isolation and scope of the issue

It makes everything sad ... I think sadness is a very important part of horror films

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I should check that out.

Exactly.

Well they are.

I don't necessarily think fast zombies are bad, but it seems that the majority of movies that have the fast ones have a completely different vibe - less atmosphere, faster pacing, etc

With the slow, dragging zombies, the pace of the film usually follows - I like that ... In zombie movies, the slower pace usually gives the viewer the time to feel the isolation and scope of the issue

It makes everything sad ... I think sadness is a very important part of horror films

Most slow zombie movies bore me to death. I don't sense an atmosphere...I just wonder how they weren't easily killed off as soon as it started. And all the acting in Romero movies is really bad. I find the fast zombie movies, the action and sense of terror feels more real one potent and the adrenaline rush is more realistic.

If I watch a zombie film and feel bored it's because I don't believe in the "reality" being presented.

I think the 2004 DOTD is far more terrifying than the 1978.

• Like 1

I should check that out.

Exactly.

Well they are.

Most slow zombie movies bore me to death. I don't sense an atmosphere...I just wonder how they weren't easily killed off as soon as it started. And all the acting in Romero movies is really bad. I find the fast zombie movies, the action and sense of terror feels more real one potent and the adrenaline rush is more realistic.

If I watch a zombie film and feel bored it's because I don't believe in the "reality" being presented.

A lot of people rip the 2004 version but I liked it. I still think the '78 one is better, classic and original and all that.

However, the remake is still exciting. And having Ving Rhames in it doesn't hurt.

• Like 1

I should check that out.

Exactly.

Well they are.

A lot of people rip the 2004 version but I liked it. I still think the '78 one is better, classic and original and all that.

However, the remake is still exciting. And having Ving Rhames in it doesn't hurt.

Zack's best film.

I should check that out.

Exactly.

Well they are.

Zack's best film.

It might be. I forgot he even did it.

Thinking of Zack directed flicks being simply enjoyable or not, he's got a 3-2 record with me.

3 that I enjoyed: Dawn of the Dead '04, 300, Watchmen

2 I didn't: Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman

I'd give none of those an "A" or an "F".

300 was the dumbest and cheesiest but I still found some enjoyment out of it. If I watch it again I might start to dislike it.

Another one for the original Dawn of the Dead. Along with Carpenter's The Thing, DofD was THE midnight movie.

I guess The Omega Man wouldn't count as a zombie movie but a viral/plague movie? It would get my vote if it were on the list. Good movie eh!

• Like 2

Another one for the original Dawn of the Dead. Along with Carpenter's The Thing, DofD was THE midnight movie.

I guess The Omega Man wouldn't count as a zombie movie but a viral/plague movie? It would get my vote if it were on the list. Good movie eh!

Actually, I probably should have put The Omega Man on because it was based on the same story as Last Man On Earth ( which was one of the movies that I voted for !!! )

Good call RF

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Actually, I probably should have put The Omega Man on because it was based on the same story as Last Man On Earth ( which was one of the movies that I voted for !!! )

Good call RF

Omega Man is a classic! I haven't seen Last Man.

But even in the book that both are taken from, the "creatures" are vampiric (though not actually vampires), not zombie-like in any way.

• Like 1

Good call RF

But even in the book that both are taken from, the "creatures" are vampiric (though not actually vampires), not zombie-like in any way.

Never seen the film but I love the book.

Good call RF

It must've been 30 years since I read that. I don't even remember it really...other than what I just posted. Was that post accurate?

Good call RF

It must've been 30 years since I read that. I don't even remember it really...other than what I just posted. Was that post accurate?

Yes. And the movies all look crap in comparison

Good call RF

Actually, I think the Vincent Price movie stuck fairly close to the book (I read it as recently as a few years ago), apart from the ending, which was more involved in the book, and showed the "vampires" to be arguably an evolutionary advancement of us typically paranoid humans, or at least no worse, as shown by the protagonists' need to go hunting and killing them all the time, and the vampires responding only in kind, if I remember right. I don't think Last Man on Earth included that message, but rather stuck to the standard narrative (that moviegoers would expect) that the hero/protagonist's efforts are virtuous/justified. That I recall. It's been a long time since I saw the Vincent Price version.

The Omega Man, though an awesome flick, was loosely based on the premise of the book but didn't follow its plotting at all. Same for W. Smith's I am Legend of course.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

Good call RF

Actually, I think the Vincent Price movie stuck fairly close to the book (I read it as recently as a few years ago), apart from the ending, which was more involved in the book, and showed the "vampires" to be arguably an evolutionary advancement of us typically paranoid humans, or at least no worse, as shown by the protagonists' need to go hunting and killing them all the time, and the vampires responding only in kind, if I remember right. I don't think Last Man on Earth included that message, but rather stuck to the standard narrative (that moviegoers would expect) that the hero/protagonist's efforts are virtuous/justified. That I recall. It's been a long time since I saw the Vincent Price version.

The Omega Man, though an awesome flick, was loosely based on the premise of the book but didn't follow its plotting at all. Same for W. Smith's I am Legend of course.

I had no idea there was a Vincent Price movie...what is it called?

• Like 1

^ It's the Last Man on Earth movie Lucas listed. First movie based on Matheson's I am Legend. Not as flashy as the other movies (Omega Man and I am Legend) but sticks better to the plot and temper of the book. Edited by Rutlefan

^ It's the Last Man on Earth movie Lucas listed. First movie based on Matheson's I am Legend. Not as flashy as the other movies (Omega Man and I am Legend) but sticks better to the plot and temper of the book.

Oh see i in my head just read it and assumed it was another name for the Omega Man haha

The Last Man On Earth has more of a "zombie" feel than Omega Man or the book .. Vincent Price is, I think, excellent and much more subtle - it is not a typical role for him as he keeps things very somber ..

It is dark and bleak, and an obvious influence on Romero's Night Of The Living Dead