Whats the best version of test for echo??

nicky6

The 2011 remastered is best. The vinyl record does sound good, but its not analog, it is digital put on it. So it does not really matter if you listen to the CD or vinyl, I think it is the 2011 mix just put on the vinyl record.

The 2015 24 bit Digital Download that came free with the vinyl is THE ONLY version of the album that is NOT brickwalled (compressed to death and loud). It actually is DR12 if you can believe it!!! That means it is mastered like a pre-remaster early 90s / late 80s CD. Honestly, I was SHOCKED when I put the FLAC files into my music editor and saw all that headroom. It was an incredible experience. Test For Echo, Counterparts, and Snakes & Arrows NEVER sounded as good as this before. I am usually not in favour of remasters, but these are brilliantly done and really have the listener in mind, rather than whomever wants to continue the loudness war. Edited by diatribein
  • Like 4

The 2015 24 bit Digital Download that came free with the vinyl is THE ONLY version of the album that is NOT brickwalled (compressed to death and loud). It actually is DR12 if you can believe it!!! That means it is mastered like a pre-remaster early 90s / late 80s CD. Honestly, I was SHOCKED when I put the FLAC files into my music editor and saw all that headroom. It was an incredible experience. Test For Echo, Counterparts, and Snakes & Arrows NEVER sounded as good as this before. I am usually not in favour of remasters, but these are brilliantly done and really have the listener in mind, rather than whomever wants to continue the loudness war.

I'm going to pick up the reissue vinyl eventually even though the download codes already expired.

• Like 1

The 2015 24 bit Digital Download that came free with the vinyl is THE ONLY version of the album that is NOT brickwalled (compressed to death and loud). It actually is DR12 if you can believe it!!! That means it is mastered like a pre-remaster early 90s / late 80s CD. Honestly, I was SHOCKED when I put the FLAC files into my music editor and saw all that headroom. It was an incredible experience. Test For Echo, Counterparts, and Snakes & Arrows NEVER sounded as good as this before. I am usually not in favour of remasters, but these are brilliantly done and really have the listener in mind, rather than whomever wants to continue the loudness war.

I'm going to pick up the reissue vinyl eventually even though the download codes already expired.

Get it quickly! I bought the album when it came out and forgot all about the download code. I stupidly expected it to be the same old loud mastering that is the norm for any and all re-releases, so I wasn't enthusiastic enough to care all that much. Then, earlier this week, I pulled out my vinyl and remembered that I should get the download only to notice that the card said "Download Code Expires December 2016". I thought to myself "Shit! I just missed it!!!" I decided to try it anyway and much to my joy and surprise, the download code was still active! So I can confirm that as of February 22nd 2017 the Test For Echo 24 bit flac download code is still working for unused codes. I can't imagine this will last forever, so I would grab it ASAP.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

I agree. The LP sounds mediocre at best but the digital download is the best sounding version I have.

• Like 2

The non-existent one...

Maybe we could get thru and entire Test For Echo thread without bashing it.

I don't know. Giving something a bash is often a good way to test if there IS an echo.
  • Like 1

Get it quickly! I bought the album when it came out and forgot all about the download code. I stupidly expected it to be the same old loud mastering that is the norm for any and all re-releases, so I wasn't enthusiastic enough to care all that much. Then, earlier this week, I pulled out my vinyl and remembered that I should get the download only to notice that the card said "Download Code Expires December 2016". I thought to myself "Shit! I just missed it!!!" I decided to try it anyway and much to my joy and surprise, the download code was still active! So I can confirm that as of February 22nd 2017 the Test For Echo 24 bit flac download code is still working for unused codes. I can't imagine this will last forever, so I would grab it ASAP.

That's good to know, thanks.I don't know if that will speed up the timetable, but it might.

• Like 1

The non-existent one...

Maybe we could get thru and entire Test For Echo thread without bashing it.

I don't know. Giving something a bash is often a good way to test if there IS an echo.

You know, this thread inspired me to listen to T4E the other day. The title track was great, but after that I'm pretty sure I skipped midway through every song other than T4E, Time and Motion and....wait for it...Dog Years (a guilty pleasure). As far as I'm concerned, unless I'm watching A Work in Progress, the album stinks.

Test for Echo is a solid listen, but it is one of the few Rush albums that is missing a single essential Rush tune. Considering they basically ignored it post-hiatus, except for Driven on the first tour back and then Resist acoustically twice, I believe they have to agree with that.

Only songs that don't thrill me on Test For Echo are the title track and Carve Away The Stone (first and last oddly enough.)

Interestingly, I've always thought that Stick It Out and Test For Echo were the two weakest lead tracks by Rush ever. Fortunately the rest of those albums improved greatly after that.

Only songs that don't thrill me on Test For Echo are the title track and Carve Away The Stone (first and last oddly enough.)

Interestingly, I've always thought that Stick It Out and Test For Echo were the two weakest lead tracks by Rush ever. Fortunately the rest of those albums improved greatly after that.

Did you mean Animate?

I know it's not the vinyl that was recently released. I was majorly disappointed in the sound quality. I've yet to hear the download that came with it though. That being said, the RTB new vinyl sounds great.

Did you mean Animate?

I meant songs that you'd hear before the album was released. Stick It Out might have been the first prerelease song that wasn't the first on an album since Hemispheres.

• Like 1

I meant songs that you'd hear before the album was released. Stick It Out might have been the first prerelease song that wasn't the first on an album since Hemispheres.

Time Stand Still was the lead single from HYF...