What is the main point of Satanic themes and imagery in some metal music?

Texas King

Lucas is a member of a secret cult called the Bee Venom Worshipers of Satan! His main acolytes are a couple of musclebound nurses who administer the liquid into his brain! He also has bunch of goats that he named after well known demons!

:fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury:

• Like 2

This topic reminded me...

Back in my late teens, one of my co-workers stated that people who like playing Dungeons & Dragons are devil worshippers and that it's easy to see "...because of all the dark imagery". After laughing, I said that D&D players are "... just geeks who are into fantasy games. I should know. I'm one of them." I then burned a hole in his chest with my demonic fire beams projected from my eyes. Had to role a pair of 20-sided dice to make that happen though. :P

:LOL:

You've obviously been sucked in by "The Occult".

Many bands that use satanic ideology in picture or lyric also are quite outspokenly opposed to war, racism, and intolerance. The point is often to counter a perceived hypocrisy in Christianity that claims to be all of those things, but to which many Christian adherents seem to directly act in opposition to.

And there are those that just adorn themselves for the scene.

And those who see it as a lark, or a shock.

And then there are the truly awful folk like Vikernes. There's a lot of great Black/Folk Metal, and unfortunately racist xenophobes like Vikernes legitimize that sick subset of fans who actually want to hurt others. It's uncommon, and I reject the idea that his existence damns the whole lot of fans and bands. And he hasn't changed. Over 20 years in prison and he's still dangerous and has dangerous ideas.

But he isn't indicative of that vast majority of bands/fans.

True, except Vikernes was never a satanist. He was and has always been a paganist. Edited by PolarizeMe

Back in my late teens, one of my co-workers stated that people who like playing Dungeons & Dragons are devil worshippers and that it's easy to see "...because of all the dark imagery". After laughing, I said that D&D players are "... just geeks who are into fantasy games. I should know. I'm one of them." I then burned a hole in his chest with my demonic fire beams projected from my eyes. Had to role a pair of 20-sided dice to make that happen though. :P

Not sure how that co-worker got "devil worshipper" from 16-17 year old dorks into dwarves, elves, wights, and Paladins (and Rush). It's not like we would've been sacrificing virgins behind closed doors. We would've been sacrificing each other! :LOL:

Many bands that use satanic ideology in picture or lyric also are quite outspokenly opposed to war, racism, and intolerance. The point is often to counter a perceived hypocrisy in Christianity that claims to be all of those things, but to which many Christian adherents seem to directly act in opposition to.

And then there are the truly awful folk like Vikernes. There's a lot of great Black/Folk Metal, and unfortunately racist xenophobes like Vikernes legitimize that sick subset of fans who actually want to hurt others. It's uncommon, and I reject the idea that his existence damns the whole lot of fans and bands. And he hasn't changed. Over 20 years in prison and he's still dangerous and has dangerous ideas.

True, except Vikernes was never a satanist. He was and has always been a paganist.

Fair enough.

In the original post the question was posed this way:

"What you think? What is the point of inverted crosses, devils and pentagrams on album covers, evil, morbid and Satanic/anti-Christian lyrics at many metal bands, esp.of extreme subgenres?"

So I took this broader picture and brought him in that way. The anti-Christian theme.

It's a rebellion thing I think. Most western countries are predominantly Christian so this is very symbolic of rebelling. It also gives fans an easy method to identify fellow fans by seeing others in the proper uniform so it's also about conformity and belonging. I view anything like this as akin to an actor playing a part. No one thinks Robert Englund is really out to kill kids because he played that part in nightmare on elm street but so many are ready to believe that black sabbath worships the devil because of imagery or lyrics. Seeing Ozzy at home and trying to imagine him as a serious satanist is laughable.

The rebellious conformists? There's more truth to that than many would admit.

Think about punk. I've never seen so much conformity in my life.

True, except Vikernes was never a satanist. He was and has always been a paganist.

Fair enough.

In the original post the question was posed this way:

"What you think? What is the point of inverted crosses, devils and pentagrams on album covers, evil, morbid and Satanic/anti-Christian lyrics at many metal bands, esp.of extreme subgenres?"

So I took this broader picture and brought him in that way. The anti-Christian theme.

Fair point. Usually one would conclude that the "anti-Christian" buzzword for most extreme music (not just metal) implies some sort of Satanic beliefs in the lyrics or band ideology but people like Varg prove exception to that rule.

Not sure how that co-worker got "devil worshipper" from 16-17 year old dorks into dwarves, elves, wights, and Paladins (and Rush). It's not like we would've been sacrificing virgins behind closed doors. We would've been sacrificing each other! :LOL:

Competing mythologies. Your fantasy world didn't include Jesus! That automatically makes it satanic in the eyes of many people.

Stories about Jesus, angels, devils, heaven and hell = Good

Stories about wizards, eleves, dwarves, orcs, ogres, etc. = BAD!!

Competing mythologies. Your fantasy world didn't include Jesus! That automatically makes it satanic in the eyes of many people.

Stories about Jesus, angels, devils, heaven and hell = Good

Stories about wizards, eleves, dwarves, orcs, ogres, etc. = BAD!!

Doubt that I guy I knew gave it that much thought.

If he saw a Molly Hatchet album cover he probably thought they were devil worshippers too! :LOL:

D&D actually DID have angels and devils. No Jesus though. Bunch of demon worshippers those game makers! :fury:

• Like 1

I don't believe in any god, so for me talking about Jesus, the Devil, the Beast etc is just like talking about any mythology after all.

If Vikings ruled the western world, bands and movies would exploit ancient Norse myths to sell more (and if somebody else ruled maybe we'd have no rock music at all....)

• Like 3

I don't believe in any god, so for me talking about Jesus, the Devil, the Beast etc is just like talking about any mythology after all.

For those of us who grew up in conservative Christian families and communities, the power of satanic imagery cannot be underestimated. We were indoctrinated since birth to totally fear the figure/person of Satan and everything associated with him. The taboo of looking at such imagery and listening to (alleged) satanic music was huge!

When The Exorcist was released in theaters, it literally traumatized people. People's fears regarding Satan were "confirmed to be true" in that film. When bands like Black Sabbath arrived, they were truly seen as instruments of the Devil, just because of the imagery.

Even though I'm decades removed from my repressive upbringing, even though I have no religious beliefs at all today, I can still remember the fear and dread I felt when seeing pictures of Satan and demonic creatures. I still see those images differently than those of wizards and elves and orcs.

• Like 3

Look at this cover of BOC album:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Fire_Of_Unknown_origin.jpg

It looks totally occult.

Occult wasn't the first (or last) thing I thought of when I saw it.

I first thought of this:

http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/GalleryChar_1920x1080_2_Arsenal_ARROWS2.5_10_09_RGB_55f8bc2da894e8.44601029.jpg

Sames as androgynous groups. Sell more records. A shallow marketing scheme...

Some people by nature are androgynous. Bands like AFI are feminine even if they just wear a suit with their hair slicked back haha

But I know what you mean.

Edited by Segue Myles

For those of us who grew up in conservative Christian families and communities, the power of satanic imagery cannot be underestimated. We were indoctrinated since birth to totally fear the figure/person of Satan and everything associated with him. The taboo of looking at such imagery and listening to (alleged) satanic music was huge!

When The Exorcist was released in theaters, it literally traumatized people. People's fears regarding Satan were "confirmed to be true" in that film. When bands like Black Sabbath arrived, they were truly seen as instruments of the Devil, just because of the imagery.

Even though I'm decades removed from my repressive upbringing, even though I have no religious beliefs at all today, I can still remember the fear and dread I felt when seeing pictures of Satan and demonic creatures. I still see those images differently than those of wizards and elves and orcs.

I can totally relate, as I had a catholic upbringing as well, but managed to snap out of it - it took me almost 40 years to do so, that´s how oppressive that was.

On the OP, I think this whole satanic imagery is helpful to draw attention to a band initially, but it limits them more than anything in the long run. Look at the Big Four of thrash, for example: considering Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax and metallica, which band has had the least diverse output?

• Like 2

It looks totally occult.

To me, that looks like an alien civilization straight out of Star Trek...... :)

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

It looks totally occult.

To me, that looks like an alien civilization straight out of Star Trek...... :)

Or the bad skinned humans in Beneath the Planet of the Apes

http://reelantagonist.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/telepaths-worshipping.jpg

• Like 4