What is the main point of Satanic themes and imagery in some metal music?

Texas King

What you think? What is the point of inverted crosses, devils and pentagrams on album covers, evil, morbid and Satanic/anti-Christian lyrics at many metal bands, esp.of extreme subgenres?

Why Venom and Slayer popularized Satanic stuff in metal?

BTW I dislike Satanic stuff in metal and that's a reason why I ask you about this. I just CAN'T GET THE POINT of it.

It's a rebellion thing I think. Most western countries are predominantly Christian so this is very symbolic of rebelling. It also gives fans an easy method to identify fellow fans by seeing others in the proper uniform so it's also about conformity and belonging. I view anything like this as akin to an actor playing a part. No one thinks Robert Englund is really out to kill kids because he played that part in nightmare on elm street but so many are ready to believe that black sabbath worships the devil because of imagery or lyrics. Seeing Ozzy at home and trying to imagine him as a serious satanist is laughable.
  • Like 3

Adolescent iconoclasm, the excitement of engaging in 'wrong' things. A stick in the eye to authority.

A rejection of proscribed rules of What Is Good in favor of proving that there is no devil and religion is silly.

I think some or all of the above is the point. I think it is very very rarely serious. Sometimes it's a socio/political point. Sometimes it's just to exercise a right to do what you want regardless of society's opinion, sometimes it's just because it sells, and sometimes it's just for fun.

I don't care one way or another if a band plays around with the occult. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's obvious and boring, sometimes it's stupid. It never offends me, though.

I think some of it is all in good fun, like watching The Exorcist. Metal can be made to scare you, that's one of the reasons Black Sabbath helped create it. If your ideas are threatened by a band's image or a song, I'd consider you a weak minded person that engages in hobbies, not actual beliefs.

Or if you're Kerry King, you're likely just trying to be an ass

• Like 4

Ask Geezer Butler. He started it all when he wrote the lyrics to the song Black Sabbath.

Part of it is being rebellious. But a fascination with the darker side of things is what drives it the most. Butler laid out the path on those early Sabbath albums with his lyrics. Then the band embraced the whole Satanic image and great number of bands followed Sabbath's lead.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I never understood why some people can read Stephen King, but think such music is evil. It's the same thing, essentially. Stories in song rather than book, and not serious. The attraction of the topic of course was massively heightened by those opposed to the music, because a lot of people can't resist poking a person who is overly sensitive to nonsense.

edit:

The above opinion isn't an assumption that Texas King is such a person, I wouldn't think you'd post the question if you were. A lot of people quite understandably find the whole topic obvious and tired, and others just don't think much of intentional provocation because they find it a cynical grab for shock.

I don't presume to know your reasons, but the fact that some people are super sensitive to the subject is definitely a reason it became so massively popular.

Edited by Mosher

To scare my mother back in the day. Most of my albums weren't even "metal". Some people read some crazy shit into album art.

Now something like Slayer doesn't interest me...neither does Stryper.

• Like 1

Ask Geezer Butler. He started it all when he wrote the lyrics to the song Black Sabbath.

Part of it is being rebellious. But a fascination with the darker side of things is what drives it the most. Butler laid out the path on those early Sabbath albums with his lyrics. Then the band embraced the whole Satanic image and great number of bands followed Sabbath's lead.

Black Sabbath never glorified Satan in their lyrics, so I cannot consider them a Satanic band by any means.

And this guy always wore a proper cross around his neck, never inverted.

http://loudwire.com/files/2013/11/Tony-Iommi.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

• Like 2

When I first got heavily into Rush I looked up everything in our main library. There were multiple mentions of a LOT of bands as being satanic in some books. Terribly researched and outright careless guessing.

One of those satanic bands: Rush

One of those books reprinted lyrics that were consistently wrong for many bands. Not always wrong in ways that supported their argument, but consistently wrong. So I can't take any charge of satanism seriously unless I look it up myself. Outside of people like Varg Vikernes, I haven't seen too many serious concerns.

In the Judeo-Christian Western World, to explore anything that deals with Satan is immensely taboo. :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

And, as we all know, anything that is taboo is extremely attractive - even seductive - to young people. Tell them not to go near it, order them to stay away from it, and they'll want it even more.

• Like 1

Black Sabbath never glorified Satan in their lyrics, so I cannot consider them a Satanic band by any means.

And this guy always wore a proper cross around his neck, never inverted.

http://loudwire.com/files/2013/11/Tony-Iommi.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

They may not have glorified Satan in their lyrics, but all the imagery from their albums and concert stage sets certainly focused on Satan and Satanism (if only as a gimmick to attract fans).

What you think? What is the point of inverted crosses, devils and pentagrams on album covers, evil, morbid and Satanic/anti-Christian lyrics at many metal bands, esp.of extreme subgenres?

Why Venom and Slayer popularized Satanic stuff in metal?

BTW I dislike Satanic stuff in metal and that's a reason why I ask you about this. I just CAN'T GET THE POINT of it.

Two asides:

The lyrics of Sabbath's After Forever are hardly Satanic.

Peter was crucified "inverted."

• Like 1

Many bands that use satanic ideology in picture or lyric also are quite outspokenly opposed to war, racism, and intolerance. The point is often to counter a perceived hypocrisy in Christianity that claims to be all of those things, but to which many Christian adherents seem to directly act in opposition to.

And there are those that just adorn themselves for the scene.

And those who see it as a lark, or a shock.

And then there are the truly awful folk like Vikernes. There's a lot of great Black/Folk Metal, and unfortunately racist xenophobes like Vikernes legitimize that sick subset of fans who actually want to hurt others. It's uncommon, and I reject the idea that his existence damns the whole lot of fans and bands. And he hasn't changed. Over 20 years in prison and he's still dangerous and has dangerous ideas.

But he isn't indicative of that vast majority of bands/fans.

Edited by Mosher

This topic reminded me...

Back in my late teens, one of my co-workers stated that people who like playing Dungeons & Dragons are devil worshippers and that it's easy to see "...because of all the dark imagery". After laughing, I said that D&D players are "... just geeks who are into fantasy games. I should know. I'm one of them." I then burned a hole in his chest with my demonic fire beams projected from my eyes. Had to role a pair of 20-sided dice to make that happen though. :P

• Like 2

It's a rebellion thing I think. Most western countries are predominantly Christian so this is very symbolic of rebelling. It also gives fans an easy method to identify fellow fans by seeing others in the proper uniform so it's also about conformity and belonging. I view anything like this as akin to an actor playing a part. No one thinks Robert Englund is really out to kill kids because he played that part in nightmare on elm street but so many are ready to believe that black sabbath worships the devil because of imagery or lyrics. Seeing Ozzy at home and trying to imagine him as a serious satanist is laughable.

The rebellious conformists? There's more truth to that than many would admit.

• Like 3