It's been over a year and I still don't know how to cope

TemplesofLamneth

Is anyone else still openly depressed/distraught over "the end" of Rush?

I've been a huge fan since late 2012 when I began buying albums out of curiosity after years jamming out to the same 3 radio hits.

Since then I've really come into my own. I'm more outgoing, enthusiastic and don't really consider myself a pessimistic person anymore. I know it's odd to most folks that music of all things allowed me to see the other side of the coin so to say, but I feel like I owe these guys my life.

Since the series of announcements from Neil and Alex last year, I've known it was coming but Time Stand Still basically confirmed my worst fears. I've seen it over 20 times since Nov and I still tear up watching it.

Hell, the last segment that was filmed at the Forum in L.A. kicks the waterworks into hyperdrive. Upon hearing Alex speaking up on his feelings of never touring again I'll let loose a few tears, by the time the credits roll and The Garden begins playing I'm going off like an emergency sprinkler.

It seems I just can't let go... I was wondering if anyone else is there with me or if I'm just overreacting.

• Like 8

I rarely think about it to tell you the truth. I'm amazed they did as much as they did since vapor trails. I was thinking earlier about how I just don't understand the mindset of people like warren buffet and anyone that has made enough money to truly be set and yet they continue to run the rat race when they have the opportunity to spend their time truly enjoying life. I hope the three of them spend time doing what they love be it driving, flying, golfing, drinking wine or spending time with children and never look back. I can't imagine anyone at deaths door wishes they would have spent more time running on the hamster wheel. The world is full of a lot of things to discover including new music and passions for us as well as them.
  • Like 8

Nope, i'm not too upset about it. It's too bad they're done but unfortunately everything has its time and Rush most certainly had theirs. The key to not getting too broken up about it is to remember that this is something you had no control over. No sense getting upset in an outcome you had no power over.

Try listening to other bands to fill the void. Plenty of great music out there to satisfy someone's tastes. Sure, they won't be the same as Rush but that's the beauty of music. Lots of bands have their own sound and produce high quality material.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 7

Agreed. However after watching Clockwork Angels in Dallas I think Ged sounded better during R40. That year off seemed to help quite a bit.

and i firmly believe no one should risk their health just for the fans.

I want these guys to enjoy retirement from touring.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 5

Since then I've really come into my own. I'm more outgoing, enthusiastic and don't really consider myself a pessimistic person anymore. I know it's odd to most folks that music of all things allowed me to see the other side of the coin so to say, but I feel like I owe these guys my life.

.. and if RUSH has taught you anything, it should be that you owe it all to YOURSELF for positive changes in your life ..

Inspiration and a spark are great things, but TOL, be proud of yourself

Rush's music will always be there

• Like 2

As do I, I remember a few months after R40 concluded there were numerous threads on here blaming Neil for the bands retirement. My response always was and still is they've earned it, let them be.

That being said, I don't wish they'd come out of retirement anywhere near as much as I wish they'd never have retired to begin with.

You've spoken too soon J2112YYZ, as soon as I posted this thread I threw some popcorn in the microwave and put Time Stand Still in the PS3.

I've tried listening to other favorites, few days is all I can go without going through Rush withdrawals.

Part of why you're probably feeling the way you are might be because you're a newer fan as well.You just discovered the band and then like that they were retired.

I guess a lot of us who have been fans for a few decades knew this time was coming soon, so maybe it was easier for some to accept when it happened.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

I was sad for a while when they started talking about it being the last tour. But I agree about Geddys voice. If he was still singing like he was back during TFE, it would've made it much harder. I think they stopped at the right time. That doesn't mean I don't miss them because going to a Rush concert is an experience like no other. I'm thankful for all the music they gave us over the years.
  • Like 2

Yeah I remember coming home from R40 and having a dream that it happened all over again. Ive never left a show in such a euphoric state before, let alone one that I felt for weeks afterwards.

Hoping to have the same thing happen when I see Maiden in June. I've always been a fan of detailed music that tells a story. Rime of the Ancient Mariner introduced me to multi thematic musical pieces, Xanadu perfected it.

• Like 1

I'm not sweating it. I'm holding on to irrational hope.

Who would believe in 2009 Dodge would reintroduce the Challenger and it would look like a 1970?

Who would believe after sitting through the crappy prequels that Harrison Ford would play Han Solo again?

Who would believe Donald Trump would become president?

Who would believe Jarrod Fogle would be a pedophile?

I still believe...

• Like 2