British vs American classic rock bands?

Texas King

British vs American classic rock bands?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. British vs American classic rock bands?

What is a classic rock band?

You must be some kind of Foreigner. Are you from Boston or Kansas, maybe? Whatever the case, your trip here must have been one hell of a Journey. :)

Edited by JARG
  • Like 2

I do want to maintain a measure of humility here, but - Zeppelin, Sabbath, Floyd, the Who, the Rolling Stones, Cream, Bowie, the Faces. And The Beatles, if you consider the last three albums.

That said, all of those artists owe a big debt to Rock and Roll and the Blues, and of course the invention of the electric guitar.

I can think of quite a few American bands and artists I like, but not that many in the Classic Rock genre. The Doobie Brothers, the Allmans, I like the Eagles a bit. Kiss. I love Zappa actually but he was a bit too far out there for me to think of him as a Classic Rock artist. Steely Dan, there's a brilliant American band.

• Like 1

I do want to maintain a measure of humility here, but - Zeppelin, Sabbath, Floyd, the Who, the Rolling Stones, Cream, Bowie, the Faces. And The Beatles, if you consider the last three albums.

That said, all of those artists owe a big debt to Rock and Roll and the Blues, and of course the invention of the electric guitar.

I can think of quite a few American bands and artists I like, but not that many in the Classic Rock genre. The Doobie Brothers, the Allmans, I like the Eagles a bit. Kiss. I love Zappa actually but he was a bit too far out there for me to think of him as a Classic Rock artist. Steely Dan, there's a brilliant American band.

Pretty much this. In the late 70's the Yanks come on strong, though.

Define "classic" rock? Where is the cutoff point?

I choose the tie option. One side had The Beatles. The other side had The Doors. If the eighties counts as "classic rock", well, Paradise Lost emerged towards the end of that decade so that nudges the UK further in the lead.

My instinct was UK, but then I reflected on what classic even meant. Is Hendrix classic? Is Van Halen?

I voted tie, but I probably should change it to UK, but without the parameters I'm not sure.

I already know classic has changed since I was young, it includes more bands now. Are the Ramones classic? Is Kiss?

I don't even like Kiss, but they certainly mattered.

You know what, I'm changing it to UK.

I'm overthinking this.