Influences on the 80's synth-era Rush?

Texas King

In your opinion which bands were influential on a Rush's sound from Signals to HYF?

The Police, The Cars and Ultravox come to my mind.

thank you for saying Ultravox.

i argue with Segue about that ALL THE TIME!!!

lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

In your opinion which bands were influential on a Rush's sound from Signals to HYF?

lol

Mick

I remember articles back in the day with Rush mentioning Ultravox as a band they liked and were influenced by. Can't give you anything concrete other than my memory though.

• Like 2

lol

Mick

I remember articles back in the day with Rush mentioning Ultravox as a band they liked and were influenced by. Can't give you anything concrete other than my memory though.

Grace sounds like a total Ultravox inspired album to me.

Not a rip off. but a loving nod.

Mick

lol

Mick

Grace sounds like a total Ultravox inspired album to me.

Not a rip off. but a loving nod.

Mick

Well, it coincides with the articles mentioning Ultravox that I remember reading in my junior high/high school days in the mid-late 80s

• Like 1

The single overriding influence high above any other in history of rush to me was obviously Andy Summers, without him there couldn't be a Signals leading up to everything else after

Al took Andy's general sound and transformed it into nu rush brilliantly. We have a whole lot to thank Andy Summers for if you ask me

• Like 3

Certainly, Lifeson was influenced by The Edge.

In those days, Lee used to often cite Simple Minds as one of the bands he really dug.

I think I just puked in my mouth a little bit.

• Like 1

In those days, Lee used to often cite Simple Minds as one of the bands he really dug.

Yes i read in guitar mags of the day that Alex was digging The Edge and Andy Summers.There was an issue of Guitar Player where Alex was discussing his change of direction/sound on GUP.He was stating how he was impressed with Ed Van Halen (who was in the same issue)but he didn't have any lasting effect on him.The big,heavy,thick tone on MP was now a wiry,spatial tone drenched in reverb and delay.Also his solos were more thought out and economical except for Kid Gloves where he just went for it.It all started with Digital Man which could have been the Police(Walking on the Moon?)While some old school heavy Rush fans may disown the band at this point i thought it was a brave move by them and kept me very interested in them as to what they would do next.I think Power Windows has many similarities to Trevor Rabin era Yes.I could just see Alex doing the solo too Shoot High,Aim Low.At least Rush still had that heavy sound.But if they started listening to Haircut 100 or Culture Club I would started to get worried.(
  • Like 1

If all those new wave synth bands didn't happen Rush would have probably made Moving Pictures Book 11,great,Son of Moving Pictures,Ok,Son of Moving Pictures trilogy Book 111 the Sequel,err,until we would end up with the musical equivelant of AC/DC'sFly on the Wall.Just joking :codger:
  • Like 2

I think I just puked in my mouth a little bit.

These aren't my opinions. These were things stated by them in 80s rock mag articles. Go back and find them if you'd like to throw up more.

Especially in regards to the Edge, I'm not sure how someone could NOT see his influence on Alex in the mid 80s.

Much later, Geddy was really into Bjork. Doesn't matter if you or I don't care for her at all, she is/was just an artist Geddy had a deep admiration for.

• Like 2

:cosmo: :cosmo: :facepalm:

I think Power Windows has many similarities to Trevor Rabin era Yes.

Agreed it's very influenced by 90125.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood also, they even nicked Andy Richards from them.

Eh ,i hav'nt done my research.Was Andy Richards in FGTH?Nooo.I shouldn't be so judgemental.but......... :16ton: Edited by grasbo

:cosmo: :cosmo: :facepalm:

I think Power Windows has many similarities to Trevor Rabin era Yes.

Agreed it's very influenced by 90125.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood also, they even nicked Andy Richards from them.

Eh ,i hav'nt done my research.Was Andy Richards in FGTH?Nooo.I shouldn't be so judgemental.but......... :16ton:

Not an official member obviously but let's face it the band was effectively Holly Johnson, Trevor Horn and him...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Richards

This is a cool listen. A 1982 radio interview around the debut of Signals.

That's a great interview thanks. Interesting to hear Ged suggest the new sound arrived at like a four-piece band.

Was actually just cool to hear Signals introduced as the new album from Rush. Kinda took me back a bit :)

• Like 2

Just to add to the 'poll' of bands listed...

By ear (forgetting any actual mentions in public interviews by the band), the top contenders in order would be...

The Police (earlier 80s)

U2 (mid/later 80s)

Yes (mid/later 80s)

Tears For Fears (mid/later 80s)

And of course there were bands like Honeymoon Suite and Mr Mister (both bands I was into before I knew about Rush) who were integrating keys into their mostly rock&roll platform in a similar way to Rush. Whether or not their airplay factored into Rush's sound would be anyone's guess.

I know in an interview Ged mentions Talking Heads as being an influence entering the 1980s, but I don't really hear that translate into their sound. As much as I like TH, they're very different from most of Rush's material. The only thing I can hear them sharing are perhaps those in your face bass grooves. Ged really seemed to turn up his bass playing's groove factor on a lot of track during the 80s.