The "Ghost" Solo In La Villa Strangiato

Invisible To Telescopic Eye

I heard the "Ghost" solo in La Villa today, for the very first time. It's been years since I've been here but I figured I'd share it with you guys as you'd probably appreciate it most.

I know this has been a topic of conversation here many times but I wasn't able to find if anyone has posted a place to hear it. If this is old news and everyone has heard it, or knows of a better way to hear it, or version, sorry. Like I said, it's been a while.

In an ancient interview, Alex mentions that if you listen carefully to La Villa, you can hear the original solo from the recording session "ghosted" through the recording, a solo that was replaced by the one you hear on Hemispheres. I've heard the song a million times and never heard the ghost solo and figured it was one of those things that you can only hear if you know exactly what to listen for and when. A secret I would never learn.

Well in typical RUSH fashion, when you least expect something, or thought you'd heard it all, they surprise you with something new, even in something old.

This link is to a Youtube "video" (there's no video, just a pic of Neil and the audio playing) of the isolated drum and bass tracks of La Villa but you can hear the guitar from the song playing faintly in the background.

Go to the 4:00 mark and listen for about 40 seconds, do it a couple of times and tune out the drums and focus on the faint guitar in the background, sing along to it in your head even. At 4:10 you can hear an ascending riff playing even more faintly behind the solo we know from the recording. Listening further you can hear fragmented bits and pieces for the next 30 seconds or so with another spot being at about 4:28, but at 4:33 as Alex bends that A up to B (I think) you can really hear that same ascending riff faintly behind it all.

Now this in no way is going to change your life or anything, and when it's all said and done it's not too terribly impressive, but, if you are an olde skool fan like me, and for ages have heard of this illusive creature, then this is your chance to finally hear a ghost.

• Like 5

Video not available :( but made me listen to original again so thanks for that. Mann what a beautiful piece. That section from 4.00 just the essence of Rush.

Couldn't hear your ghost solo in original, but sure there from what you say. Nice post.

One of most interesting things i heard was on that Musicintheabstract rush oddity site, Alex's guitar from a concert without amplification, just the sound of raw strings. Is awesome, like hardly anything just comes alive with electricity

What's cool is not only can you hear the ghosted solo, but you can hear the actual solo as well -- sometimes they play well together and sometimes not.

I remember hearing about this years ago. It was common practice to do something like this. Like Geds doubled vocals.

My guess is that Alex played a throw-away solo when they were all playing that section live in the studio, and then came back in at some later point and laid down the actual solo that's on the record.

• Like 2

That is really cool, also thanks for for bringing this video to our attention. I love playing this song on drums but don't have it mastered yet. This is a good way to hear Neil playing it..

This was a fun song to play bass on as well, but it's one that has become a victim of my arthritis. My left index and ring fingers have a slight, permanent bend at the last knuckle which makes me stumble on things like the bass solo. It also makes it impossible to play double-stops with one finger, which makes songs like Turn the Page nearly impossible as well.

There are many instances of these "ghost" tracks occuring in the 60s and 70s when everything was analogue tape,not digital.Think Robert Plants vocal at the end of Whole Lotta Love which was a delibrate accident.Anyway i have listened closely a great find.

This not unlike the little toke they slipped into passage to Bangkok. I had no idea it was there until the album doc came out and Terry Brown pointed it out.

Really? It's really obvious. Maybe you just didn't recognize what it was?

Edited by EagleMoon

No, I just heard the live version, which doesn't have it, so many times before hearing the studio version that I never paid close attention to it, and never caught it. It's not exactly cranked in the mix, and we're also talking vinyl through a far from audiophile quality system. I doubt I ever even listened to the studio version once since the CD was invented before seeing the doc, and the first copy of 2112 I owned since vinyl was the sector box version, which I never uploaded to any digital device--I preferred the live versions. Now I know better. It's just one of those things, like hearing "scuse me while I kiss this guy" instead of "kiss the sky". Which one was it? I dunno. I hear both.