NASCAR Pick'em 2017

KenJennings

So I went to log my votes for Most Popular Driver today, and it was fairly easy to get through the Truck and Xfinity series votes... but when I got to Cup, I stopped and looked at the list for a good long while, and I realized...

...I don't really have a favorite driver anymore. I grew up a huge fan of Dale Earnhardt, and then over the years; Steve Park, Tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick.

So in past years, it easily would've been Tony Stewart or Kevin Harvick. But with Tony retired, I went to Harvick, and saw that damned blue oval on his uniform. Without carrying the banner for GM, Harvick kinda blends back into the mix... so I kept scrolling...

I stopped at Larson for a while... but I just... I dunno. I like Larson, and I think very highly of him as a racer, but I haven't seen the engaging energy out of him yet that would get me rooting for him.

So I scrolled further, and stopped at Dale Jr... Now, I've always liked Jr. He's about as classy as they come, and he's a wonderful representative of the sport. But I've just honestly never felt he was the talent that I want him to be. Like him as much I do, and as much as I feel that he's a fine racer, and a great guy, I couldn't pull the trigger.

So I went on and stopped just for a minute at MTJ, world class guy, huge talent, likable, everything going for him. Toyota. No. Nooooo.

Along the way a couple names jumped out at me... I love Suarez, but hate Gibbs. I really dig Blaney, but want to see how he develops for a while. Chase Elliott is alright, but he bores me...

And then I got to Brad Keselowski. I don't know why I just didn't go there from the beginning. Probably cause he drives a Ford... Hell, if he was in a Chevrolet, he'd have been my favorite driver for years. Harvick's been my favorite for a few years... but if they're both gonna be driving for Ford, why not? I love his passion, I love his honesty, I think the world of his talent and commitment to excellence. I think his unique approach and intelligence are second to none. So I ended up voting Brad. And on top of it all, he's the only driver I've ever encountered that listens Rush!

I didn't expect to vote Keselowski as my favorite... but I guess he is. There's just no way I'm going to start drinking Miller.

This is something that I find comical about almost any kind of motor sports racing, people not being able to like a driver because of the brand he drives, when in reality, nothing about a car is a Toyota, Ford, etc. I understand liking certain brands but in NASCAR, the only thing that's even close to a brand is the logo shape.

A guy I know once posted on Facebook, "It turns my stomach to see a Toyota pace car". I replied that many Toyotas are made by Americans right here in 'Murica and he trotted out the tired line, "but the profits go back to Japan". At that point I dropped it because there's no reasoning with people that have that mindset.

I personally couldn't care less what car a guy or gal drives, if they seem to be a good driver and a decent driver (looking at you, Kyle Busch http://i66.tinypic.com/28grxj8.jpg

I'll be a fan regardless of what brand he drives for. Maybe I'm the odd person out, but that's me. :huh:

Also, good luck to those of you moving on.

Edited by Fordgalaxy

So I went to log my votes for Most Popular Driver today, and it was fairly easy to get through the Truck and Xfinity series votes... but when I got to Cup, I stopped and looked at the list for a good long while, and I realized...

...I don't really have a favorite driver anymore. I grew up a huge fan of Dale Earnhardt, and then over the years; Steve Park, Tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick.

So in past years, it easily would've been Tony Stewart or Kevin Harvick. But with Tony retired, I went to Harvick, and saw that damned blue oval on his uniform. Without carrying the banner for GM, Harvick kinda blends back into the mix... so I kept scrolling...

I stopped at Larson for a while... but I just... I dunno. I like Larson, and I think very highly of him as a racer, but I haven't seen the engaging energy out of him yet that would get me rooting for him.

So I scrolled further, and stopped at Dale Jr... Now, I've always liked Jr. He's about as classy as they come, and he's a wonderful representative of the sport. But I've just honestly never felt he was the talent that I want him to be. Like him as much I do, and as much as I feel that he's a fine racer, and a great guy, I couldn't pull the trigger.

So I went on and stopped just for a minute at MTJ, world class guy, huge talent, likable, everything going for him. Toyota. No. Nooooo.

Along the way a couple names jumped out at me... I love Suarez, but hate Gibbs. I really dig Blaney, but want to see how he develops for a while. Chase Elliott is alright, but he bores me...

And then I got to Brad Keselowski. I don't know why I just didn't go there from the beginning. Probably cause he drives a Ford... Hell, if he was in a Chevrolet, he'd have been my favorite driver for years. Harvick's been my favorite for a few years... but if they're both gonna be driving for Ford, why not? I love his passion, I love his honesty, I think the world of his talent and commitment to excellence. I think his unique approach and intelligence are second to none. So I ended up voting Brad. And on top of it all, he's the only driver I've ever encountered that listens Rush!

I didn't expect to vote Keselowski as my favorite... but I guess he is. There's just no way I'm going to start drinking Miller.

This is something that I find comical about almost any kind of motor sports racing, people not being able to like a driver because of the brand he drives, when in reality, nothing about a car is a Toyota, Ford, etc. I understand liking certain brands but in NASCAR, the only thing that's even close to a brand is the logo shape.

A guy I know once posted on Facebook, "It turns my stomach to see a Toyota pace car". I replied that many Toyotas are made by Americans right here in 'Murica and he trotted out the tired line, "but the profits go back to Japan". At that point I dropped it because there's no reasoning with people that have that mindset.

I personally couldn't care less what car a guy or gal drives, if they seem to be a good driver and a decent driver (looking at you, Kyle Busch http://i66.tinypic.com/28grxj8.jpg

I'll be a fan regardless of what brand he drives for. Maybe I'm the odd person out, but that's me. :huh:

Also, good luck to those of you moving on.

The manufacturers actually have a huge role in R&D and base design, everything from the engines to the chassis to the body is set by NASCAR working with the manufacturers. The designs may not be stock in any meaningful way, but the manufacturers do work as a team to design a fair amount of the technology involved.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the fabrication and engineering responsibilities moved away from the teams, and centralized under the manufacturers. It would level the playing field for smaller teams quite a bit if GM, TRD and Ford built all of the racecars within NASCAR's approved specs, and simply sold them to the teams; who would then be allowed to setup and prep the car for the race.

Week 27 Standings (Chicago)

http://imageshack.com/a/img29/3999/78busch.png Martin Truex P1 - blueschika - 316 Points (3 wins)

Used: Martin Truex (49)

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/3200/oZlk7U.png Kevin Harvick P2 - thesweetscience - 308 Points (3 wins)

Used: Kevin Harvick (52)

http://imageshack.com/a/img844/6356/18busch.png Kyle Busch P3 - Mr. Blues - 289 Points (3 wins)

Used: Kyle Busch (32)

http://imageshack.com/a/img844/6356/18busch.png Kyle Busch P4 - KenJennings (-5 late pick) - 285 Points

Used: Kyle Busch (27)

-eliminated-

RacerX: 285 points

Used: Kyle Busch (32)

Cygnus2112: 293 points

Used: Denny Hamlin (45)

Pressure/Hopenosis: 264 points (-5)

pjbear: 260 points

Used: Brad Keselowski (42)

Fordgalaxy: 238 points (-5)

Edited by KenJennings

Why are you listing those of us who aren't in the running? I thought we were eliminated. No need to humiliate us further, eh? :LOL:

This game is like the real world. 12 cars in the championship, but they still let all 40 hit the track. We've got to compete for the best of the worst.

Why are you listing those of us who aren't in the running? I thought we were eliminated. No need to humiliate us further, eh? :LOL:

This game is like the real world. 12 cars in the championship, but they still let all 40 hit the track. We've got to compete for the best of the worst.

So we can still pick, but only for the first non-chase driver? I'm confused and wondering why bother?

So we can still pick, but only for the first non-chase driver? I'm confused and wondering why bother?

Yeah, after the cut it makes no difference. Not mad, just fact...

Week 28 Standings (New Hampshire)

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/20/ygYnuM.png Matt Kenseth P1 - thesweetscience - 356 Points (3 wins)

Used: Kevin Harvick (52), Matt Kenseth (48)

http://imageshack.com/a/img833/4567/11hamlin.png Denny Hamlin P2 - blueschika - 346 Points (3 wins)

Used: Martin Truex (49), Denny Hamlin (30)

http://imageshack.com/a/img13/63/42montoya.png Kyle Larson P3 - Mr. Blues - 339 Points (3 wins)

Used: Kyle Busch (32), Kyle Larson (50)

http://imageshack.com/a/img13/63/42montoya.png Kyle Larson P4 - KenJennings - 335 Points

Used: Kyle Busch (27), Kyle Larson (50)

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1