The Hunt for Red October

Ancient Ways

Great movie, currently watching it again for maybe the 100th time. One thing always bothers me. The point of the movie is the Soviets have a super quiet, undectable submarine so dangerous the captain and officers decide to defect. However, mere hours after beginning its maiden voyage a US sub finds the red October AND has the ability to find it again after stopping to pick up Alec Baldwin making the entire premise null and void really. Any thoughts?
  • Like 2

The sonar officer was gifted, and used what he knew about listening to the sonar and making a very educated guess about what their (at the time) advanced computer program thought they might be hearing. He heard Red October go from propeller to silent, and he heard the caterpillar sound. He thought to speed up the recording (not unreasonable, at all) and heard that it had to be a man made, mechanical sound.
  • Like 3

The sonar officer was gifted, and used what he knew about listening to the sonar and making a very educated guess about what their (at the time) advanced computer program thought they might be hearing. He heard Red October go from propeller to silent, and he heard the caterpillar sound. He thought to speed up the recording (not unreasonable, at all) and heard that it had to be a man made, mechanical sound.

Bingo.

• Like 2

Bingo.

Yes. I guess I'm thinking that it was inevitable that this discovery was going to be made since it was found so quickly.

Didnt the sonar guy hear signing also?

Yes. He said that after the sub disappeared, he thought he heard singing, which the crew were doing to celebrate the new sub, and the engagement of the caterpillar drive. The first mate was actually worried that they could be heard, but the captain allowed them to keep singing.

• Like 1

Great movie, currently watching it again for maybe the 100th time. One thing always bothers me. The point of the movie is the Soviets have a super quiet, undectable submarine so dangerous the captain and officers decide to defect. However, mere hours after beginning its maiden voyage a US sub finds the red October AND has the ability to find it again after stopping to pick up Alec Baldwin making the entire premise null and void really. Any thoughts?

The book is much better. It's hard to compress nuances into movies. But even in the movie, they stumble across the sound the silent boomer makes sort of by accident. In the book, it's more difficult to detect it. At any rate, conventional boomers are hard to detect and this one would be nearly impossible.

The thing I like about Clancy is that he uses accurate facts and then fictionalizes them. It was lightly based on a true story.

If you have 3 hours, here's the real deal. Have fun. :AlienSmiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5T7LPYVo0Q

Dude! You're from Germany! How do you not recommend the original and FAR superior German version? The dubbed English dialogue loses a lot of the intensity.

I know that the German version is much better, but I thought most people's native language here is English? :16ton:

Dude! You're from Germany! How do you not recommend the original and FAR superior German version? The dubbed English dialogue loses a lot of the intensity.

I know that the German version is much better, but I thought most people's native language here is English? :16ton:

Probably, but it's far better to see the German version and read the English subtitles.

• Like 2

Probably, but it's far better to see the German version and read the English subtitles.

Thoroughly agree.....tremendous series, and gripping viewing.

• Like 1

Well the sub's advanced sonar detection avoidance capability is only part of the plot, which, you're right, is sort of spoiled by Jones "thinking outside the box" so early in the movie, but another plot point is determining just what are Ramius' intentions and how he plans on carrying those intentions through, given the fact that there seems to forces aligned against him on his own boat, and on that score, the movie still is able to maintain momentum to the end.

Well the sub's advanced sonar detection avoidance capability is only part of the plot, which, you're right, is sort of spoiled by Jones "thinking outside the box" so early in the movie, but another plot point is determining just what are Ramius' intentions and how he plans on carrying those intentions through, given the fact that there seems to forces aligned against him on his own boat, and on that score, the movie still is able to maintain momentum to the end.

Like a lot of great movies the casting really makes this one. Huge cast of great actors.

How many of us read the book, and when?

I read it in 1988,before the movie came out. Probably before I knew there was going to be a movie. I remember loving the movie the first time I saw it.

I read it after the movie. It wasn't on my radar until the movie came out. But I do find that I enjoy movies better that way.

How many of us read the book, and when?

I read it in 1988,before the movie came out. Probably before I knew there was going to be a movie. I remember loving the movie the first time I saw it.

I read the book after the movie, and Clancy became my favorite author. I used to look forward to his books the way I looked forward to new Rush albums. I loved the Ryan storyline, but September 11 utterly blew it out of the water. He should've let it die at that point, but he got greedy and tried to incorporate it. Every book after Sept 11 sucked. I stopped reading after the one where his son shoots the bin Laden character.

• Like 1