The Haken Thread

Tick

The singer is the clear weak link of the band, but they have some really good tunes.

He's pretty damn good in my book. What's weak about him?

His vocal strength isn't too great but it works fine for the band.

I think he works fine on their softer moments, but when it's a section that is rocking where he really has to belt it out, he comes up way short. He just isn't a versatile or powerful singer. I like a lot of their music a lot, but I don't listen to them that much, because his voice annoys me too much.

I discovered Haken about a month ago and I can't put their music down. They're very good at writing metal with a lot of nuance that I wouldn't typically hear out of something from a more technical band like DT, or even some of Maiden's later stuff, and I'm in the minority when I say Maiden's 21st century stuff is some of the best music they've ever written.

Their debut has a couple good songs but I'm not a fan. The unclean vocals completely kill the mood for me. Their second album, Visions, is perfection from beginning to end. I can't get enough of it.

I'm still working on absorbing The Mountain. This one's a lot more varied in style and it takes a bit longer to appreciate than something like Visions, which has a pretty straightforward musical theme throughout. But I'm really enjoying it so far.

Haven't listened to Affinity, yet, but from what I've read online it's also really good. Problem with lesser known bands (and a prog one at that) is it's really hard to find criticism from both positive and negative camps. But these guys appear to be getting bigger in the scene - no doubt from being buddies with Portnoy and the like. I saw some footage of their performance with Portnoy on the 12 step suite and it sounded very good. Obviously it takes 3 guitarists to make up for no Petrucci ;)

• Like 1

It strikes me as being similar to those who say Geddy's vocals are weak, or Jon Anderson's etc etc. Ross brings something a little different to the band than your usual type of singer would, IMO, and is one of the defining parts of their sound. They wouldn't be the same without him, and that would be a bad thing.

Oh I don't know if anybody's ever said that Geddy had weak vocals while in his prime.

High-pitched vocals, sure, but loaded with tons of BALLS.

Nobody can touch Geddy's vocals in his prime IMO. And aside from that Lotus Land singer, nobody sounds like him either.

Geddy's vocal prime for me is not the screeching 70's like a lot of the older fans prefer. I liked Geddy more once he dialed it back with Permanent Waves and carried that style all the way to around Test For Echo without much signs of wear and tear until the Snakes tour.

As far as Ross Jennings goes, he sounds great when he's not channeling his inner Mickey Mouse (see Cockroach King about halfway through). His voice isn't as distinctive as the others mentioned above but these guys appear to be getting better at the whole music thing as they go on, so I'm optimistic.

• Like 1

Awesome gig on the 10th anniversary tour in London last night, fantastic performances all round, the crowd was well up for it, and there was a surprise guest appearance.

Set list:

Affinity.exe

Initiate

In Memoriam

The Mind's Eye

Portals

Shapeshifter

Red Giant (really thrilled to see this live, as it's my favourite track off Affinity)

Aquarius Medley (this was brilliant - about 20 minutes in all)

Cockroach King (with Tom MacLean on bass)

The Architect

The Endless Knot

Visions

Can't believe it's ten years since I first saw them, and really didn't think I'd get another chance to see them play that last song. Totally EPIC way to finish.

Edited by willowroolz
  • Like 1

Awesome gig on the 10th anniversary tour in London last night, fantastic performances all round, the crowd was well up for it, and there was a surprise guest appearance.

Wow, they did

Red Giant

- very cool!

• Like 1

I tried hard to get into their pre-Affinity material, but really only this song stands out for me. It's odd and clever musically. Their other stuff sounds too much like someone else (Dream Theater, King Crimson, etc), and not until Affinity did they really find their identity/voice.

Edited by stoopid

I'd rather see Haken spend their time writing new music than wasting their time playing that train wreck of a suite.

And side projects. And their own anniversary tour.

For them this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to support one of their musical heros. Stop being selfish, they've earned this.

I'd rather see Haken spend their time writing new music than wasting their time playing that train wreck of a suite.

Well, their new album came out last year and they are continuing to tour for it this year. I see nothing wrong with doing this thing with Portnoy if they already plan on being out on the road anyways. Doubt it cuts into any songwriting time. They should have something new maybe next year. No need to rush something new out too soon and risk the album not being good.

Well, their new album came out last year and they are continuing to tour for it this year. I see nothing wrong with doing this thing with Portnoy if they already plan on being out on the road anyways. Doubt it cuts into any songwriting time. They should have something new maybe next year. No need to rush something new out too soon and risk the album not being good.

Good points. :cheers:

They obviously feel different. f***ing haters got nothing better to do than whine continuously. Yeah, a couple gigs is going to stop Haken from moving forward. Give me a break dude.

• Like 1

They obviously feel different. f***ing haters got nothing better to do than whine continuously. Yeah, a couple gigs is going to stop Haken from moving forward. Give me a break dude.

Way to keep up with the thread. J2112YYZ basically made the same point you just did, but not in an overly defensive knuckle-headed way, which I agreed with in the post prior to yours.

Edited by The K Man
  • Like 1

Way to keep up with the thread. J2112YYZ basically made the same point you just did, but not in an overly defensive knuckle-headed way, which I agreed with in the post prior to yours.

That's Tick for you lol

"Way to keep up with the thread"

Yeah, cause I always read every post to make sure I don't say anything similar. I actually did read it, but STILL felt the need to comment.

Way to keep trolling along K dude.

That's Tick for you lol

You do realize you are a very combative person, right Segue?

So lets not just call the kettle black, Mr. Pot.

The Mountain has been stuck on repeat in the car this week, probably 4 or 5 times through the entire album now. It's *really* growing on me. I hadn't connected much with it in the past, but man there's some great songs on there like Falling Back to Earth.

September 2nd in NYC

My first Haken show is nearly here!