4K UHD Television.......I'm Trying To Resist!!

Principled Man

Sony Bravia 65" 4K UHD TV with High Dynamic Range

Sony_XBR-65X850D_7810495.jpg

It's also the 4K receiver and 4k Blu-ray player that I have to buy to go with it.....!! That devil on my shoulder is at it again!!

I can learn to resist

Anything but temptation

:LOL: :lol: :LOL:

• Like 2

4K UHD TV with High Dynamic Range

So woefully behind I don't even know what that means... :(

4K basically equates to 4000 pixel resolution meaning that it's super high definition than the current "standard" high def resolution which is 1080p/1080i. If you're into having having movie theater quality picture on your TV, it's for you. I have one myself but that was just dumb luck cause prior to having it, I never had a flatscreen TV.
  • Like 2

The "4K" represents the number of horizontal pixels on the TV screen. In this case, the actual number is 3840 pixels (horizontal) x 2160 pixels (vertical). That's a total of 8,294,400 pixels on the screen. The more pixels your screen has, the sharper the picture.

Standard Definition TV has a 480 pixel screen - vertical measurement

High Definition TV = 720 or 1080 pixel screen

Ultra-High Definition TV = 2160 pixel screen

The High Dynamic Range gives the TV a wider and richer range of colors, as well as deeper blacks and brighter whites.

TV geeks like me are suckers for the new technology. When I watch movies or Packer games, I NEED to see detail!! :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

• Like 1

The "4K" represents the number of horizontal pixels on the TV screen. In this case, the actual number is 3840 pixels (horizontal) x 2160 pixels (vertical). That's a total of 8,294,400 pixels on the screen. The more pixels your screen has, the sharper the picture.

Standard Definition TV has a 480 pixel screen - vertical measurement

High Definition TV = 720 or 1080 pixel screen

Ultra-High Definition TV = 2160 pixel screen

The High Dynamic Range gives the TV a wider and richer range of colors, as well as deeper blacks and brighter whites.

TV geeks like me are suckers for the new technology. When I watch movies or Packer games, I NEED to see detail!! :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

So of course what we want to know is price range, say for 65 inches.

• Like 1

This week, Best Buy has it "on sale" for $1,600.00 ($100.00 off).

I'm gonna wait until the price drops some more this spring. The 2017 models will be arriving sometime, so last year's models will get clearanced out.

Edited by Principled Man

When is the Super Duper Deluxe High Definition Television due to be released?

I'm sure it's on the way!! The manufacturers of Blu-ray players have just started releasing 4K players. They had better get with it!!

This week, Best Buy has it "on sale" for $1,600.00 ($100.00 off).

I'm gonna wait until the price drops some more this spring. The 2017 models will be arriving sometime, so last year's models will get clearanced out.

Not bad. I'll likely wait 12-24 months.

This thread is making me remember what I recalled to be a funny conversation I got involved in during Thanksgiving at a relative's place...I think 2 years ago now? It was something along the lines of one of the upsides (or downsides depending on how you look at it) of 4K is that everything looks much more detailed in 4K especially on bigger flatscreen TVs and that while watching a movie on the BluRay player my cousin jokingly pointed out some trivial, minute detail that apparently neither me nor everyone else fixed on the TV could see citing that he "can see the pixel". He said the same exact thing much later when we watched 1080p cable only this time he was pointing out how incredibly pixely it looks. I should mention that the TV in question we were watching on was indeed one of the earliest 4K TVs. Edited by PolarizeMe

I go to the Electronics show every year. When HD TV's came out it was mind blowing! The more high def they become, the harder it is for me with my poor eyes to notice the difference. The 4K look spectacular but honestly so did the earlier version.

Sony Bravia 65" 4K UHD TV with High Dynamic Range

Sony_XBR-65X850D_7810495.jpg

It's also the 4K receiver and 4k Blu-ray player that I have to buy to go with it.....!! That devil on my shoulder is at it again!!

I can learn to resist

Anything but temptation

:LOL: :lol: :LOL:

I've seen this recently. Perfect image on screen. I do like! :yes:

This thread is making me remember what I recalled to be a funny conversation I got involved in during Thanksgiving at a relative's place...I think 2 years ago now? It was something along the lines of one of the upsides (or downsides depending on how you look at it) of 4K is that everything looks much more detailed in 4K especially on bigger flatscreen TVs and that while watching a movie on the BluRay player my cousin jokingly pointed out some trivial, minute detail that apparently neither me nor everyone else fixed on the TV could see citing that he "can see the pixel". He said the same exact thing much later when we watched 1080p cable only this time he was pointing out how incredibly pixely it looks. I should mention that the TV in question we were watching on was indeed one of the earliest 4K TVs.

That's a valid point. When I go look at 4K televisions this year, I will be aware of that "pixely" issue. I'm not going to spend a ton of money only to set the thing on my wall and be unhappy with it.

Just got back from Best Buy.....without having bought anything! WOO HOO!! :laughing guy:

There is a Sony 65" 4K UHD television on their website. A brand new 2017 model. It's on sale for $1,999.99 ($500.00 off the regular price).

It's so new, they don't have any yet. I was told that it could take 6-8 weeks for them to get it.......and they couldn't guarantee that the sale price would still be good. I'm gonna wait. This TV looks really, really good. :o

My dad got a 55" Samsung 4K TV a few weeks ago, and its awesome! He doesn't like the smoothness of it all (higher frame rates making everything move smoother—he thinks it's distracting), but he loves the detail and color clarity. I just wish we had a 4K media device to hook up to it. It's a smart TV, so it gets YouTube and Netflix (both of which support 4K and have 4K content), but aside from that we don't have anything to watch that takes advantage of how awesome the TV is. That's the problem with 4K—every new TV has it now, but there isn't much content that supports it. Oh, well—the new TV is bigger than the old one, so I guess that's an improvement. :)
  • Like 3

My dad got a 55" Samsung 4K TV a few weeks ago, and its awesome! He doesn't like the smoothness of it all (higher frame rates making everything move smoother—he thinks it's distracting), but he loves the detail and color clarity. I just wish we had a 4K media device to hook up to it. It's a smart TV, so it gets YouTube and Netflix (both of which support 4K and have 4K content), but aside from that we don't have anything to watch that takes advantage of how awesome the TV is. That's the problem with 4K—every new TV has it now, but there isn't much content that supports it. Oh, well—the new TV is bigger than the old one, so I guess that's an improvement. :)

It's quite a racket. TV & Audio-Video companies KNOW that customers will have to upgrade their entire home theater systems every time the technology progresses.

TV's, receivers, disc players, cables and connectors,.......it all has to be replaced to accept 4K. Lots of BIG MONEY to be made!!

• Like 1

Don't go running out to buy those newfangled TV's just yet, boys and girls! :o :o

The FCC has just given the go-ahead for over-the-air broadcast stations to start working on transmissions in 4K UHD. The problem is that all of our TV tuners won't handle the new ATSC 3.0 signals! We may have to get separate tuner boxes.....

There is a LOT of work to be done regarding the conversion of TV broadcasts, so it may take longer than it did to go from analog to digital.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/fcc-4k-tv-purchase-235726217.html

• Like 1

Don't go running out to buy those newfangled TV's just yet, boys and girls! :o :o

The FCC has just given the go-ahead for over-the-air broadcast stations to start working on transmissions in 4K UHD. The problem is that all of our TV tuners won't handle the new ATSC 3.0 signals! We may have to get separate tuner boxes.....

There is a LOT of work to be done regarding the conversion of TV broadcasts, so it may take longer than it did to go from analog to digital.

https://www.yahoo.co...-235726217.html

It's all about the Benjamins...who cons you outta the most money. And I'm not even a 'conspiracy theorist'. but that's what this is. Whoever gets the most money. I think they need a 50 caliber machine gun forcibly inserted in their butts, and the trigger pulled mercilously. :bang bang:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20Avengers%20Uma%20Thurman.gif

https://www.yahoo.co...-235726217.html

It's all about the Benjamins...who cons you outta the most money. And I'm not even a 'conspiracy theorist'. but that's what this is. Whoever gets the most money. I think they need a 50 caliber machine gun forcibly inserted in their butts, and the trigger pulled mercilously. :bang bang:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20Avengers%20Uma%20Thurman.gif

Yep.....with every new technology, this happens. Businesses figure out how to implement it and how to profit the most from it. That's the American Way!!

Even ball point pens were super expensive when they were first marketed to the public. In 1945, a Reynolds ball point pen cost $12.50!! :o

• Like 1