2017 MLB Season Thread

The Analog Cub

One week till pitchers and catchers report!

In today's news: Mike Napoli finally gets a contract, a 1-year with the Rangers. http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/texas-rangers-boston-red-sox-cleveland-indians-mike-napoli-free-agency-offseason-020717

I've been very absent from TRF lately. I will try and change that.

Predict the standings! (I'm not gonna try and predict W-L records)

National League

East

Nationals

Mets

Braves

Phillies

Marlins

Expecting Nats and Mets to contend, Braves and Phillies to start turning things around, maybe Braves hit .500, then Marlins in the shitter this year. Bad ownership will continue to be bad. I'm so sorry, Ichiro.

Central

Cubs

Cardinals

Brewers

Pirates

Reds

Cubs will continue to kick ass and will do so for at least the next few years. Cardinals will continue dealing with some retooling, aging veterans, and that never-ending farm system, but if they make a Wild Card I won't be surprised. Brewers will still not be good, but I don't think the Pirates will be either, so I can see one of them making .500 and the other slipping. McCutchen is likely on his way out of Pittsburgh. Reds will continue the rebuild. This is gonna be a really top heavy division with the Cubs and Cardinals.

West

Dodgers

Giants

Rockies

Diamondbacks

Padres

Same story every year. Dodgers and Giants duke it out, Rockies keep their head above the water for a time with all the games they're gonna win in April and May, then fall behind somewhere around .500 or slightly worse. Diamondbacks have a lot of damage to deal with after Dave Stewart wrecked the franchise. Padres will be the worst team in the NL unless the Reds really suck.

Softball League

East

Red Sox

Yankees

Orioles

Blue Jays

Rays

Red Sox should be very strong and will try to make up for getting stomped in the ALDS, but the Yankees are on the rise. Should be one of those rare years in recent times where that rivalry is actually worth talking about and ESPN isn't entirely a sack of shit. Orioles and Blue Jays will hang in there but someone's gonna have to give. Rays will continue to be bad. This division's standings are probably the hardest for me to guess.

Central

Indians

Tigers

Royals

Twins

White Sox

Probably a top heavy division because the Twins will still be bad and the White Sox need to figure things out. Indians will still be really strong, Tigers will heat up, Royals will be somewhere in the middle.

West

Mariners

Rangers

Astros

A's

Angels

My one "WTF" guess goes to Mariners taking the West. I'll give that one a shot. Rangers will be alright, Astros will continue to confuse me, and the A's and Angels will still be bad.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

Love the title of the Softball League! Hope all is going well in Kansas City. I'm sincerely hoping the Pirates finish better than your predicted 4th place but it will be a tough year for them if McCutchen doesn't rebound from the terrible season he had last year. They shopped him heavily this winter but I guess no offers that seem right so far.

I'm going to make some predictions here…

AL EAST

BOS: 100-62

NYY: 88-74

TOR: 86-76

BAL: 85-77

TB: 73-89

The Accursed Ones—even without David Price to start the season—have an easy shot at the East again. But I do think the influx of youngsters the Yanks have got going on makes for a promising team. I think a Wild Card slot may be attainable, but the Jays and O's will be right behind us. I think the Yankees have a slight edge when it comes to pitching, though. And as for Tampa…yeah, no.

AL CENTRAL

CLE: 98-64

KC: 86-76

DET: 82-80

CHW: 77-85

MIN: 68-94

Doesn't take much of an analyst for this one. The Indians have a clear shot to run away with the Central, but the Royals should be good. Detroit will keep their heads afloat because of Verlander and Cabrera, and the White Sox will struggle. And Minnesota sucks, so sorry Twins fans.

AL WEST

TEX: 93-69

SEA: 91-61

HOU: 87-75

LAA: 80-82

OAK: 65-97

Sorry, Earl, 2017 is not Oakland's year. And the Angels will be better than they were last year, but not by much. The West is all about Texas, Seattle, and Houston. It's going to be a fun race.

NL EAST

WSH: 94-68

NYM: 85-77

ATL: 79-83

MIA: 75-87

PHI: 70-92

Not much of a race here, either. Most of baseball seems pretty top-heavy right now. We all know the Nats are good, and aside from the Mets (who are not a 90-win team), the rest of the division is essentially AAA. The Braves should be a little better than they were last year, though.

NL CENTRAL

CHC: 103-59

STL: 94-68

PIT: 88-74

MIL: 77-85

CIN: 66-96

No suprises here.

NL WEST

LAD: 92-70

SF: 91-71

ARI: 78-84

COL: 73-89

SD: 68-94

Again, no surprises, but the Dodgers-Giants race will be fun to see, as always. The Diamondbacks should be better, as I don't think Zack Greinke is going to suck two years in a row.

POSTSEASON

AL WC: NYY 3, SEA 2

Let's say, for the hell of it, the Yankees not only make the Wild Card Game, but they somehow win. Well, not somehow—Mashahiro Tanaka is one of the best pitchers in the league, but Felix Hernandez is every bit as good. It will be a pitcher's duel for sure, especially with neither ace having much postseason experience, but I think a healthy Tanaka can dethrone King Felix.

NL WC: SF 4, STL 0

Sorry, Cardinals fans. No one beats MadBum in the playoffs.

ALDS 1: BOS 3, NYY 1

The Yankees might get a win from CC Sabathia in Game 1, but that's about it. Unfortunately, they are no match for the Accursed Ones.

ALDS 2: TEX 3, CLE 2

I feel like the Rangers' starting pitching gives them a slight edge over the Tribe. This will be a really fun series to watch.

NLDS 1: CHC 3, SF 1

The Giants used Bumgarner in the wild card game, so he won't be available until Game 3. He'll win it, but the Cubbies are huge favorites overall.

NLDS 2: WSH 3, LAD 2

Another fun one to watch, but I like the Nats' offense more than the Dodgers, and I'd also argue that Washington has better pitching overall. Besides, Clayton Kershaw is not the pitcher I'd go with in a big game.

ALCS: BOS 4, CLE 3

This will be quite the series, but the Accursed—I mean, the Red Sox have the edge, I think. The Indians have the stronger bullpen, but it won't matter if they don't have enough leads to use it.

NLCS: WSH 4, CHC 2

What?! Honestly, I'm going on gut feeling with this one. The Nationals have gone too long without reaching the World Series—I think this may be their year.

WS: BOS 4, WSH 3

This will be a battle for the ages, much like last year. But in the end, Game 7, I think David Price beats Max Scherzer. The Accursed Ones will be champions.

Of course, this is all just my dumb prediction. Watch me get them totally wrong, and the A's win the World Series. :laughing guy:

Just kidding. That isn't happening. Sorry, Earl.

Edited by Disk98

I'm going to make some predictions here…

AL EAST

BOS: 100-62

NYY: 88-74

TOR: 86-76

BAL: 85-77

TB: 73-89

The Accursed Ones—even without David Price to start the season—have an easy shot at the East again. But I do think the influx of youngsters the Yanks have got going on makes for a promising team. I think a Wild Card slot may be attainable, but the Jays and O's will be right behind us. I think the Yankees have a slight edge when it comes to pitching, though. And as for Tampa…yeah, no.

AL CENTRAL

CLE: 98-64

KC: 86-76

DET: 82-80

CHW: 77-85

MIN: 68-94

Doesn't take much of an analyst for this one. The Indians have a clear shot to run away with the Central, but the Royals should be good. Detroit will keep their heads afloat because of Verlander and Cabrera, and the White Sox will struggle. And Minnesota sucks, so sorry Twins fans.

AL WEST

TEX: 93-69

SEA: 91-61

HOU: 87-75

LAA: 80-82

OAK: 65-97

Sorry, Earl, 2017 is not Oakland's year. And the Angels will be better than they were last year, but not by much. The West is all about Texas, Seattle, and Houston. It's going to be a fun race.

NL EAST

WSH: 94-68

NYM: 85-77

ATL: 79-83

MIA: 75-87

PHI: 70-92

Not much of a race here, either. Most of baseball seems pretty top-heavy right now. We all know the Nats are good, and aside from the Mets (who are not a 90-win team), the rest of the division is essentially AAA. The Braves should be a little better than they were last year, though.

NL CENTRAL

CHC: 103-59

STL: 94-68

PIT: 88-74

MIL: 77-85

CIN: 66-96

No suprises here.

NL WEST

LAD: 92-70

SF: 91-71

ARI: 78-84

COL: 73-89

SD: 68-94

Again, no surprises, but the Dodgers-Giants race will be fun to see, as always. The Diamondbacks should be better, as I don't think Zack Greinke is going to suck two years in a row.

POSTSEASON

AL WC: NYY 3, SEA 2

Let's say, for the hell of it, the Yankees not only make the Wild Card Game, but they somehow win. Well, not somehow—Mashahiro Tanaka is one of the best pitchers in the league, but Felix Hernandez is every bit as good. It will be a pitcher's duel for sure, especially with neither ace having much postseason experience, but I think a healthy Tanaka can dethrone King Felix.

NL WC: SF 4, STL 0

Sorry, Cardinals fans. No one beats MadBum in the playoffs.

ALDS 1: BOS 3, NYY 1

The Yankees might get a win from CC Sabathia in Game 1, but that's about it. Unfortunately, they are no match for the Accursed Ones.

ALDS 2: TEX 3, CLE 2

I feel like the Rangers' starting pitching gives them a slight edge over the Tribe. This will be a really fun series to watch.

NLDS 1: CHC 3, SF 1

The Giants used Bumgarner in the wild card game, so he won't be available until Game 3. He'll win it, but the Cubbies are huge favorites overall.

NLDS 2: WSH 3, LAD 2

Another fun one to watch, but I like the Nats' offense more than the Dodgers, and I'd also argue that Washington has better pitching overall. Besides, Clayton Kershaw is not the pitcher I'd go with in a big game.

ALCS: BOS 4, CLE 3

This will be quite the series, but the Accursed—I mean, the Red Sox have the edge, I think. The Indians have the stronger bullpen, but it won't matter if they don't have enough leads to use it.

NLCS: WSH 4, CHC 2

What?! Honestly, I'm going on gut feeling with this one. The Nationals have gone too long without reaching the World Series—I think this may be their year.

WS: BOS 4, WSH 3

This will be a battle for the ages, much like last year. But in the end, Game 7, I think David Price beats Max Scherzer. The Accursed Ones will be champions.

Of course, this is all just my dumb prediction. Watch me get them totally wrong, and the A's win the World Series. :laughing guy:

Just kidding. That isn't happening. Sorry, Earl.

I like your thinking. But I don't see the Sox winning it all this year. I just don't think Price and Sale are going to be what people hope.