Richard Hatch (Apollo) is gone

Ancient Ways

I've been watching him for the last few weeks in Season 5 of The Streets of San Francisco. It aired in 1976-77 after he'd replaced Michael Douglas as Karl Malden's cop sidekick. He was very good. So it's a bigger shock to me because of this. I never thought he was going to die any time soon.

I first saw Richard as Apollo in Battlestar Galactica and didn't know about his time in SoSF. I think I only watched the first 2 or 3 seasons back in the day.

RIP Richard

• Like 2

My obsession with the original Battlestar Galactica borders on unhealthy. As a boy I wanted to be Apollo or Starbuck. Richard Hatch's Apollo was one of my first child hood heroes. Much later in life I got to know Richard a little bit, beyond the fan standing in line for an autograph. He was a genuine good guy.

16665003_1027023664108003_4462355953025978347_o.jpg?oh=24721050bd00f7286c4232947d113a89&oe=590C76D2

• Like 2

How I got to meet one of my childhood heroes. My friend Erik and I procured the popcorn.

"I was producing the 25th 'Battlestar' anniversary for mostly the original fans at the time, and they were very angry that I was inviting Ron Moore," said Hatch. "It was a very, very difficult convention because of all the controversial feelings, and people had gotten bags of popcorn to throw at Ron Moore because Ron had made a statement — he'd taken so much criticism and had gotten a little frustrated with everything — and said, 'If you don't like it...'eat popcorn' or something like that...I was sort of terrified that they we're going to throw this popcorn at Ron."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-hc-richard-hatch-battlestar-20090105-story.html