From First to Last: Rush vs Clockwork Angels

JohnnyBlaze

First vs Last  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you enjoy more?

2. 2. Which is your favorite tune off both albums?

• Finding My Way
    • Need Some Love
    • Take A Friend
    • Here Again
    • What You're Doing
    • In The Mood
    • Before And After
    • Working Man
    • Caravan
    • BU2B
    • Clockwork Angels
    • The Anarchist
    • Carnies
    • Halo Effect
    • Seven Cities of Gold
    • The Wreckers
    • Headlong Flight
    • BU2B2
    • Wish Them Well
    • The Garden

So anyways, back on topic.

I like the debut more than CA, despite JohnnyBlaze playing some incredible celeste and slip-horn on a few of the arrangements (uncredited).

The debut, while having no sneng, has a strong set of songs, uncluttered arrangements, and clear and focused production.

CA, also snengless, has ambitious arrangements and unfocused production.

I think I'm going to have to come up with some mathematical formula to come to my final answer of which album I prefer.

It's a tight race I'll say that much.

• Like 1

Johnny Blaze plays the celestial harp, and interestingly, the celeste.

I'm a fan of the ondes martenot myself, and the sneng. I really want to get an electric sneng, but should focus on the acoustic first, just to get my technique together.

Here's my sneng-hero, Khmer E. Wanna:

http://www.magicmusicbus.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Sinat-on-Sneng-300x225.jpg

Wasn't/Isn't Mama Celeste a frozen pizza company? I could use some of her pizza right about now.

That's a lie. You want a Cambodian pizza right about now. You can add 'liar' to your list of dubious achievements.

Helpfully,

vt

I thought that was somehow understood with the previous theoretical truth of me being sarcastic and arrogant.

[Note: the previous bastard accusation has no clout as my parents were legally wed at the time of my conception.]

Noted, you figurative bastard, you! :cheers:

See, I'm such a bastard that I neglect other definitions. Or is the neglect due to my arrogance?

Are you an alter?

On topic:

The debut destroys CA.

It's a raw, swaggering slice of quality cock rock, with Here Again being the outstanding track....a truly epic bluesy masterpiece with stunning Ged vocals and emotional guitar.

CA is at least not as bad as the two preceding efforts, but the poor production, shoehorned vocals and lack of solos really detract from it.

• Like 3

I'm a fan of the ondes martenot myself, and the sneng. I really want to get an electric sneng, but should focus on the acoustic first, just to get my technique together.

http://www.magicmusicbus.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Sinat-on-Sneng-300x225.jpg

Wasn't/Isn't Mama Celeste a frozen pizza company? I could use some of her pizza right about now.

That's a lie. You want a Cambodian pizza right about now. You can add 'liar' to your list of dubious achievements.

Helpfully,

vt

I thought that was somehow understood with the previous theoretical truth of me being sarcastic and arrogant.

[Note: the previous bastard accusation has no clout as my parents were legally wed at the time of my conception.]

See, I'm such a bastard that I neglect other definitions. Or is the neglect due to my arrogance?

Are you an alter?

I'm an alter altar of an altar.

• Like 1

On topic:

The debut destroys CA.

It's a raw, swaggering slice of quality cock rock, with Here Again being the outstanding track....a truly epic bluesy masterpiece with stunning Ged vocals and emotional guitar.

CA is at least not as bad as the two preceding efforts, but the poor production, shoehorned vocals and lack of solos really detract from it.

I was on the border but I think you've convinced me. I should've known better as I already skip 4 tracks on CA and tolerate a few more. It leaves me with only maybe 4 or 5 that I actually like. Maybe 6 max.

With the debut, I like most and love the rest. Nothing is skipped.

• Like 1

When I first delved into all things Rush my first thoughts on the debut were 'well, thank goodness they hired Neil.' It rocked, certainly, but the lyrics were often the same predictable hack work that I always heard. Even so, I dug Working Man.

Over time the debut has improved, so obviously I've either become a bigger fan or my appreciation has broadened. It's the latter, for the record, as I have listened to such a wide range now that I can better appreciate what Rush brought to the table even when they were new. They can play, and they rock, and they offered hints of where they were going.

Clockwork Angels is my favorite Rush album since Power Windows. I absolutely love it, and honestly it sometimes vies for a top three or four position among Rush albums. When I listen I do find a couple songs boring, but somehow the whole is greater than the parts for me.

So this is an easy win for CA in my view.

Anarchist is my fave.

I am so glad to see that debut is easily losing this one!

Does it matter? It'd make me just as happy (or sad) to see hamburgers (which I like) lose to tacos (which I like).

Mainly, I wanted to see the boards opinions/results. But I don't see how either way would make you happy.

• Like 3

Helpfully,

vt

Are you an alter?

Altar boy? Well I guess we now know what instrument you play.
  • Like 3

I am so glad to see that debut is easily losing this one!

A mild defense of the debut:

The debut is the only place where you can hear a Rush drummer who can 'swing'. Rutsey: "Here Again" = awesome feel.

NP's attempts at jazziness are...attempts.

The debut is a fun listen, and sounds great in the car. CA not as fun, sounds kinda sh!tty, production-wise.

Also, the debut did not spawn a terrible book...;)

On the plus side, the CA cd looks great under my drink!

• Like 1

Helpfully,

vt

Are you an alter?

The pink oboe.......

• Like 1

Helpfully,

vt

Are you an alter?

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/a343e412-544d-4e0a-9481-d9b5cbbbbaff/605b5dab-73ff-42b0-af08-4f23be6f971b.gif

• Like 2

Helpfully,

vt

Are you an alter?

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/a343e412-544d-4e0a-9481-d9b5cbbbbaff/605b5dab-73ff-42b0-af08-4f23be6f971b.gif

It's amok time, people!!!

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

• Like 1

Helpfully,

vt

Are you an alter?

It's amok time, people!!!

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

http://68.media.tumblr.com/786334074f495c86ecb516c5c9fdd9fc/tumblr_o26ja9wvY91tbcweeo1_400.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-v0Yh-lMp_Dg/WDE7phbi1HI/AAAAAAAAO2w/xPVAOEOGatMivnk6Qgf3Ee53Z1lv244wwCLcB/s1600/star-trek-tos-amok-time-spock-spinning-his-lirpa-500x375.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/fe4b3ddcec3155a52c2c440266dccf2b/tumblr_myt5qwWmes1svlvsyo6_250.gif

• Like 1

As a member of the '70s Rush rules, everything else is crap' club, I did have to vote for Clockwork Angels. Such a great album. It is still fresh in my mind after so many plays since its release.

But, in a few years, the honeymoon period of loving the new album will be gone, and I will probably switch my vote back to the debut.

I wonder what instruments Johnny B plays. It might influence my vote on this.

• Like 2

As a member of the '70s Rush rules, everything else is crap' club, I did have to vote for Clockwork Angels. Such a great album. It is still fresh in my mind after so many plays since its release.

But, in a few years, the honeymoon period of loving the new album will be gone, and I will probably switch my vote back to the debut.

I wonder what instruments Johnny B plays. It might influence my vote on this.

As I said somewhere earlier in this thread, check my profile. :)

You've made me reboot this thread Johnny! How arrogant of you! :P

CA blows debut out of the water. The guys may not have their youth and novelty on their side, but they do have and reinvigorated Neil (as lyricist and as drummer), the best most creative music they'd written in years (and I mean years and years), and an entertaining concept to boot (plus someone said there was a lack of solos, you have this confused with VT, many killer solos are to be found buried in the bad production). Yeah, the production is kinda blah, but everything else is top shelf Rush. Like 4 songs on the debut match or the majority of this material, and only like two of those surpass much of anything here.

• Like 1