Tom Brady GOAT?

Xanadoood

Two words...Joe Montana.

One word: Five

Counting championships for the assessment of a player in the ultimate team sport, the sport most controlled by people off the field, is about the dumbest thing done in all of sports talk radio...which is filled to the brim with stupid.

So what makes Montana the superior to Brady?

Better athlete, better under pressure, more pioneering, and better thrower.

Two words...Joe Montana.

Counting championships for the assessment of a player in the ultimate team sport, the sport most controlled by people off the field, is about the dumbest thing done in all of sports talk radio...which is filled to the brim with stupid.

He played when the rules required quarterbacks to be men.

• Like 1

Two words...Joe Montana.

Almost as dumb as dismissing the greatest quarterback ever out of spite. But not quite.

So you're admitting that Marino is the best? I'm glad you're willing to stop being stupid.

:LOL:

The way I see it, any analysis that puts Montana ahead of Brady is reliant on intangibles at the center of the argument. Because there just isn't a reasonable way to make that argument on statistics.

Comparing stats between eras doesn't make any sense to me.

• Like 1

Two words...Joe Montana.

And receivers, too.

• Like 2

Two words...Joe Montana.

http://livingadisneylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Fess-Parker-Davy-Crockett-e1409015274455.jpg

Most pioneering? Well, you just made a case for Fess Parker being the best quarterback ever.

• Like 3

The way I see it, any analysis that puts Montana ahead of Brady is reliant on intangibles at the center of the argument. Because there just isn't a reasonable way to make that argument on statistics.

Unless they work in your favor. ;)

So, it's really more honest to talk about the best of the era for all of the above. But much less fun! :LOL:

Two words...Joe Montana.

And receivers, too.

Montana played in the 60's and early 70's?
  • Like 2

Two words...Joe Montana.

And receivers, too.

Montana played in the 60's and early 70's?

There's MEN, men, and the pussies who now play.

• Like 1

Unless they work in your favor. ;)

So, it's really more honest to talk about the best of the era for all of the above. But much less fun! :LOL:

And Brady is probably the third best in his era. He should be proud.

Two words...Joe Montana.

All of his best people were on the field with him?

Intangibles like rallying your team in the Super Bowl in historic fashion, down by 25 points, after getting your asses kicked for 3 quarters.

Something his stats won't reflect on a piece of paper later.

I agree, KJ!

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 2

Two words...Joe Montana.

http://livingadisneylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Fess-Parker-Davy-Crockett-e1409015274455.jpg

Most pioneering? Well, you just made a case for Fess Parker being the best quarterback ever.

Fess looks a lot like Jay Cutler there

• Like 1

I've been a Bronco fan since I was 8 years old - loved the helmets

Trying to put homerism aside, John Elway was always the guy I felt was the best QB ever

But as much as it pains me, I think Tom Brady pretty much cemented his place a top the QB list last night

• Like 7

Intangibles like rallying your team in the Super Bowl in historic fashion, down by 25 points, after getting your asses kicked for 3 quarters.

Something his stats won't reflect on a piece of paper later.

I agree, KJ!

I would never try to disregard intangibles. For instance: I've always said that I think Brett Favre should be regarded more highly on the list of all time greats. I feel like he did more to give his team a chance than anyone else could've. I look at his interception rate, and I don't see a guy that made mistakes, I see a guy who was forced to take more risks than others. The stats don't always paint an accurate picture.

That having been said, Tom Brady has been surrounded by a revolving door of players that range widely, and has lifted them all to great heights. I see a guy who can make magic happen in the clutch. I see raw determination and grit that is nearly unmatched. If we're going to make an argument on intangibles, Brady is as good, if not better than the other greats we'd consider.

• Like 4

I don't see how you can argue otherwise at this point. He is the only player that all 7 Patriots' Super Bowl teams of the 21st century had in common. He was the MVP of 4 of the 5 wins. He has succeeded with mediocre offensive players around him at times, mediocre defenses at others. His best offensive weapon was on the bench for a good part of this season, including last night. He is the best all around QB of all time. After him, it's Montana. After Montana, there are a lot of players you could argue place third.
  • Like 4

Honestly, if not for 2 miracle catches he might be 7-0 in the Super Bowl right now.

If Brady got every break, he'd be 7-0. There's some fascinating analysis!

On the other hand, all his wins are by one possession. He could easily be 0-7.

The "if" game is stupid.

• Like 2

Two words...Joe Montana.

Number 2 in 4th quarter comeback wins.. boom!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

You can't compare stats. Offensive (especially passing) stats are way inflated in this era compared to the 80s. Montana played in a far more difficult conference, otherwise he makes more than 4 Super Bowls. The Patriots are such a talentless team outside of Brady..... that's why they went 11-5 with Matt freakin Cassel, and why they easily went 3-1 without goatboy this season.

Two words...Joe Montana.

http://www.pro-footb...acks_career.htm

Overrated stat on the surface. If you're down 17-16 entering the 4th, is bragging about a 4th Q comeback all that impressive? Give me a dominant team that has the game put away by the 4th.

Two words...Joe Montana.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

Two words...Joe Montana.

This non man sacked Brady 3x yesterday. Did Johnny Unitas face anyone even close to this ?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/grady-jarrett?id=2552327

• Like 1