East Asian Food Fight

JohnnyBlaze

East Asian Food  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite East Asian food?

• Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Mongolian
    • Taiwanese
    • Bruneian
    • Burmese
    • Cambodian
    • Malaysian
    • Singaporean
    • Vietnamese
    • Indonesian
    • Laotian
    • Philippine
    • Thai
    • Other East Asian cuisine not mentioned
  2. 2. Which of these have you tried?

There's a lot of great and distinct East Asian food out there.

I'm biased as my parents are from the Philippines. So that gets my pick. A typical Blaze family Thanksgiving or Christmas has all the traditional North American dishes + Philippine dishes such as lechon (roast pork), lumpia (egg rolls), pancit (pan fried noodles mixed with meats, shrimp, & veggies), and a few others & some beef and or shrimp shish kabob for good measure!

Since I live in Japan, I've grown to love many of the dishes here. Sushi is good but it doesn't come close to being my favorite J-dish. That would probably be nikujaga: http://en.m.wikipedi...g/wiki/Nikujaga

(I just had some for lunch matter of fact.)

Then there's Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indonesian, and Thai food that I'll never turn down if someone asks me. Oh, and Mongolian barbecue?! I'll kill that too! :blaze:

So what do you TRF eaters have to say about East Asian food? :hail:

I love SE Asia and I love Asian food. Been to Thailand for a month and it was wonderful (Err.. except it was the beginning of the end for Rin and me, bah :P )

I wish to travel to SE Asia again and visit Phillipenes, Lao, Cambodia, Vietnam etc. I just find the whole place so wonderful and I would maybe like to end my days in that region. The people are so kind and thoughtful and the girls are so beautiful, they have so much poverty to contend with but they just get on with their lives. Without wishing to get all political I think that us in the West can learn so much from the Asian people. They have much lower rates of cancer, perhaps because of their good diet and lifestyle. I LOVE Asian food.

Two of my heroes are Phillipino (SIC), Arenel Pineda the singer from Journey, he is just awesome and his story from poverty to riches is very inspiring and humbling.

And the World number 1 golfer (until a week ago) Jason Day. Yes I know he is Australian but he is from the Phillipenes on his mothers side. His story is also very inspiring. Also let us not forget about Tiger? His mum is Thai.

One day Johnny we will all be mixed race, all of the people from mixed race families are the most beautiful and talented people despite what the ignorant white supremacists may try to say.

Actually you know, EVERYONE is mixed race. I think of myself as white Anglo Saxon English but if you trace my ancestry back then I am Scandinavian on my fathers side and Irish gypsy traveller on my mother's side. In the 10th century the Vikings invaded the North East of England in longboats to do their raping and pillaging.

Now the Norwegians just come over on the ferry to do all of their Christmas shopping at "The Metro Centre" on Tyneside, the biggest mall in Europe! ha ha ha

Take care dude

Stevie :D

One day Johnny we will all be mixed race, all of the people from mixed race families are the most beautiful and talented people despite what the ignorant white supremacists may try to say.

Actually you know, EVERYONE is mixed race.

You got that right Steve

Genesis 6:4

“There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.”

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sumer_anunnaki/reptiles/images/reptiles23_01.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

You got that right Steve

“There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.”

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sumer_anunnaki/reptiles/images/reptiles23_01.jpg

Thanks Lucas, I just wish we could have a little more tolerance and understanding in this world of ours. Yes the terrorist situation is bad but not all Muslim people are terrorists in the same way that not all white people are racists KKK members and not all Mexicans are criminals and drug dealers. If we go down this isolationist path then we just alienate everyone and play right into the hands of the extremists. Hatred and conflict will never be beaten by hatred and conflict. Something has to give.

You see the extremists want exactly what we are doing right now, it gives their perverted cause some credence. We must go down the route of engagement and tolerance, then the bastards will have no weapons left. These scumbags thrive on division and hatred, if we take that away then they are beaten.

• Like 1

You got that right Steve

Thanks Lucas, I just wish we could have a little more tolerance and understanding in this world of ours. Yes the terrorist situation is bad but not all Muslim people are terrorists in the same way that not all white people are racists KKK members and not all Mexicans are criminals and drug dealers. If we go down this isolationist path then we just alienate everyone and play right into the hands of the extremists. Hatred and conflict will never be beaten by hatred and conflict. Something has to give.

You see the extremists want exactly what we are doing right now, it gives their perverted cause some credence. We must go down the route of engagement and tolerance, then the bastards will have no weapons left. These scumbags thrive on division and hatred, if we take that away then they are beaten.

Well said Steve

And I realize that this thread is dedicated to the enjoyment and love for one of my favorite topics : FOOD

:LOL:

But you make an excellent point in regards to extremists - those who thrive on greed, violence and division ..

Sadly, some of the worst have been in the US government going back almost a century

Today, I had PHO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

This is what I have to say about all of those social/political issues previously brought up:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Dinagyang_2009_grilled_meat_on_display.jpg

http://www.top-destination-choice-the-philippines.com/images/70-filipino-food-lechon.jpg

:yes:

:hail:

• Like 3

Took this one about a decade ago at a Saigon food market

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Beer%20and%20Loathing%20in%20Saigon/P1010636.jpg

ALL of these beautiful little babies were tasty tasty tasty and probably cost about $2 according to my smokey memory

I have only been to Thai in SE Asia so I can only make a judgement on Thai food. I LOVE Thai food!!!!

Only one thing though, when I stayed with Rin's family in Kohn Kaen breakfast was a lot of oily fish with the heads on. Now I know that is very good for you (Omega oils and all that, and I eat oily fish, but sorry not for breakfast!), I would scoot out along the road to an Aussie bar around 11 am have a full English (Bacon, Sausage, Fried Eggs, Mushroom's, beans and fried bread washed down with a bucket of Chang beer, watching Soccer and Golf on Sky sports and the lovely Thai girls walking by - all the bars are open fronted, chatting with the Aussie guys and argueing with them how much better us English are at Cricket and Rugby than them ha ha! just heaven!)

Every other meal I love all Thai food, spicy Pappaya Salad and Pork with Onion and Oyster Sauce are my favourites.

Think I will go back to SE Asia soon as I can :P

Smitty

• Like 1

Any US guys who don't know cricket or rugby

Well cricket is a little like baseball but run in a straight line and back instead of round a ring to bases.

Rugby is a bit like your football without any body armour and you are only allowed to tackle the guy with the ball.

Sorry if that sounds a bit condescending to anyone

Smitty :P

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Beer%20and%20Loathing%20in%20Saigon/P1010636.jpg

ALL of these beautiful little babies were tasty tasty tasty and probably cost about $2 according to my smokey memory

I have only been to Thai in SE Asia so I can only make a judgement on Thai food. I LOVE Thai food!!!!

Only one thing though, when I stayed with Rin's family in Kohn Kaen breakfast was a lot of oily fish with the heads on. Now I know that is very good for you (Omega oils and all that, and I eat oily fish, but sorry not for breakfast!), I would scoot out along the road to an Aussie bar around 11 am have a full English (Bacon, Sausage, Fried Eggs, Mushroom's, beans and fried bread washed down with a bucket of Chang beer, watching Soccer and Golf on Sky sports and the lovely Thai girls walking by - all the bars are open fronted, chatting with the Aussie guys and argueing with them how much better us English are at Cricket and Rugby than them ha ha! just heaven!)

Every other meal I love all Thai food, spicy Pappaya Salad and Pork with Onion and Oyster Sauce are my favourites.

Smitty

Khon Kaen! Didn't have the oily fish-with-head, but had an incredibly delicious and spicy breakfast at our hotel, of all places. Rice, pork and chili.

Had a great walk down by the lake and checked out the night market there. Very cool little city.

• Like 1

Smitty

Did you spend much time up there Steve? Isaan is a really interesting area, with a distinct culture, cuisine, and music. The music is pretty cool, and the ladies are pretty pretty!

Have a listen:

• Like 1

Smitty

Khon Kaen! Didn't have the oily fish-with-head, but had an incredibly delicious and spicy breakfast at our hotel, of all places. Rice, pork and chili.

Had a great walk down by the lake and checked out the night market there. Very cool little city.

Fish head seems common whatever the Asian nation. Same goes for fish for breakfast.

I had fish for breakfast 3 days ago. I didn't get head though :unsure:

• Like 3

Smitty

Yes KK is a lovely place dominated by the lake. I prefer it to Bangkok, BKK is very polluted and very very humid.

We stayed in BKK for a couple of days in January 2013 and it was 30 to 32 degrees C. KK was the same temp but "dry hot" and the air much cleaner so a much nicer atmosphere. Still crazy with all of the bikes on the roads though, I saw women with two children on the back, no helmets and weaving in and out of the traffic, just f***ing crazy!!! Also saw a pickup truck with 5 people crammed in the front and about 8 or 9 people sitting on the back. Incredibly in the 3 weeks I was there I never saw an accident. There is a lovely little open arena in the middle where you can get food and beer and bands play, also the market is lovely, is that the one with the car dealership next to it?

Stevie

• Like 1

Smitty

Yes KK is a lovely place dominated by the lake. I prefer it to Bangkok, BKK is very polluted and very very humid.

We stayed in BKK for a couple of days in January 2013 and it was 30 to 32 degrees C. KK was the same temp but "dry hot" and the air much cleaner so a much nicer atmosphere. Still crazy with all of the bikes on the roads though, I saw women with two children on the back, no helmets and weaving in and out of the traffic, just f***ing crazy!!! Also saw a pickup truck with 5 people crammed in the front and about 8 or 9 people sitting on the back. Incredibly in the 3 weeks I was there I never saw an accident. There is a lovely little open arena in the middle where you can get food and beer and bands play, also the market is lovely, is that the one with the car dealership next to it?

Stevie

I'd say woman with 2 kids on a bike wearing no helmets is usual. You can easily find more people on a single moped. Plenty of dad + mom + 2 or 3 kids riding around. The funniest I've seen was probably a man, a woman, 3 little kids, and a pig in a cage all on one little scooter. And you guessed it: the pig wasn't wearing a helmet!

• Like 2

Smitty

Did you spend much time up there Steve? Isaan is a really interesting area, with a distinct culture, cuisine, and music. The music is pretty cool, and the ladies are pretty pretty!

Have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYGl-l0Toig

Yeah we had nearly a month there, my Thai ex Rin lives in UK but her family are from KK. The Bangkok delta is very flat and features and a bit ugly really but the country is so beautiful as you go further north. We visited the Elephant park (stone Elephants) about 100km North of KK and the land becomes more mountainous and is really beautiful. I have a new lady friend that has a business in Bangkok but her family is from Udon Thani next to the Mekon river. She has bought some land in Lao as her older family comes from there. I have heard that Lao is so beautiful and unspoilt so I guess I have to visit there.

Hopefully things will go well with Uraiwan but whatever happens we will stay friends, then I would love to travel again, see places off the beaten track :D

Steve

• Like 2

Typical Blaze gathering. Everything isn't on the table but the main dishes are (pic quality isn't so good, taken a few years ago):

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/IMG_3760.jpg

BigDaddyBlaze carves up the lechon:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/IMG_3755.jpg

Meanwhile, the grill goes on outside:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/IMG_3752.jpg

Some fish for you Steve Smith!:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/IMG_3762.jpg

• Like 2

Smitty

Have a listen:

Yeah we had nearly a month there, my Thai ex Rin lives in UK but her family are from KK. The Bangkok delta is very flat and features and a bit ugly really but the country is so beautiful as you go further north. We visited the Elephant park (stone Elephants) about 100km North of KK and the land becomes more mountainous and is really beautiful. I have a new lady friend that has a business in Bangkok but her family is from Udon Thani next to the Mekon river. She has bought some land in Lao as her older family comes from there. I have heard that Lao is so beautiful and unspoilt so I guess I have to visit there.

Hopefully things will go well with Uraiwan but whatever happens we will stay friends, then I would love to travel again, see places off the beaten track :D

Steve

Would love to get back to Laos. Vientiane is incredibly relaxed and with all sorts of street food.

(and yes, the Khon Kaen night market was the one by the car dealership :D )

Good luck with your new lady friend. Hope you get back to SEA one of these days!

• Like 1

Typical Blaze gathering. Everything isn't on the table but the main dishes are (pic quality isn't so good, taken a few years ago):

I want to go to there...

• Like 1

Smitty

Have a listen:

Steve

Would love to get back to Laos. Vientiane is incredibly relaxed and with all sorts of street food.

Good luck with your new lady friend. Hope you get back to SEA one of these days!

I think Laos is the only country in that vicinity that I haven't visited. Heard tons of good things.

Smitty

Have a listen:

Steve

Thing is as a "new farrang" you attract the bar girls like flies to shit. It takes you a little time not to be taken in by all of the attention, in England a 51 year old guy like me could not pull a muscle. I am a little wiser now, but for middle aged (maybe divorced) guys who are kind and a bit lonely then the attention from beautiful young girls can become very addictive but ultimately a bit dodgy. Do you understand what I say?

Wan is 44 but very lovely, I have been in contact with her for nearly 2 years now and I know enough about her to know she is genuine.

Thanks so much for you kind wishes dude

• Like 1

I want to go to there...

So do I!!!! Most of the parties are at the eldest bro's crib. He's grilling outside AND deep frying the egg rolls, another bro is also in the backyard on another grill cooking up beef and shrimp skewers, eldest bro's wife (from the Philippines) is in the kitchen making pancit (pan fried noodles) and another dish, & BigDaddyBlaze takes care of the lechon and other chef like stuff. I'm usually on the screened patio food sampling & drinking beer and laughing and talking crap with my wife and other brothers. It's pretty much paradise. :LOL:

• Like 2

Smitty

Have a listen:

Steve

I think Laos is the only country in that vicinity that I haven't visited. Heard tons of good things.

Vientiane has a very cool riverside area. Everybody comes out in the evening to walk or do group aerobics. Lots of people on bicycles.

Vang Vieng was stunning but a hotbed of rampant douchebaggery. Get your not-so-cheap drugs here and then go tubing.

Luang Prabang was a lot of fun. Went to a freaky nightclub, biked around, had street food, got rained on...

Laos airlines was so f*cking charming, it almost made me weep. They bow when you come on the plane and give you a little cardboard box with a hamburger in it. Air Canada gives you nuthin'. (well, except for high safety ratings) Lao hamburger!

Exciting excerpts from "Laos, a simpleton's guide" by vaportrailer

• Like 2

I want to go to there...

So do I!!!! Most of the parties are at the eldest bro's crib. He's grilling outside AND deep frying the egg rolls, another bro is also in the backyard on another grill cooking up beef and shrimp skewers, eldest bro's wife (from the Philippines) is in the kitchen making pancit (pan fried noodles) and another dish, & BigDaddyBlaze takes care of the lechon and other chef like stuff. I'm usually on the screened patio food sampling & drinking beer and laughing and talking crap with my wife and other brothers. It's pretty much paradise. :LOL:

When you get there we will meet up for a beer and argument about Rush' best album !!

Smitty :P

• Like 2

Smitty

Have a listen:

Steve

Thing is as a "new farrang" you attract the bar girls like flies to shit. It takes you a little time not to be taken in by all of the attention, in England a 51 year old guy like me could not pull a muscle. I am a little wiser now, but for middle aged (maybe divorced) guys who are kind and a bit lonely then the attention from beautiful young girls can become very addictive but ultimately a bit dodgy. Do you understand what I say?

Wan is 44 but very lovely, I have been in contact with her for nearly 2 years now and I know enough about her to know she is genuine.

Thanks so much for you kind wishes dude

:cheers:

• Like 1