East Asian Food Fight

JohnnyBlaze

East Asian Food  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite East Asian food?

• Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Mongolian
    • Taiwanese
    • Bruneian
    • Burmese
    • Cambodian
    • Malaysian
    • Singaporean
    • Vietnamese
    • Indonesian
    • Laotian
    • Philippine
    • Thai
    • Other East Asian cuisine not mentioned
  2. 2. Which of these have you tried?

There's a lot of great and distinct East Asian food out there.

I'm biased as my parents are from the Philippines. So that gets my pick. A typical Blaze family Thanksgiving or Christmas has all the traditional North American dishes + Philippine dishes such as lechon (roast pork), lumpia (egg rolls), pancit (pan fried noodles mixed with meats, shrimp, & veggies), and a few others & some beef and or shrimp shish kabob for good measure!

Since I live in Japan, I've grown to love many of the dishes here. Sushi is good but it doesn't come close to being my favorite J-dish. That would probably be nikujaga: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikujaga

(I just had some for lunch matter of fact.)

Then there's Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indonesian, and Thai food that I'll never turn down if someone asks me. Oh, and Mongolian barbecue?! I'll kill that too! :blaze:

So what do you TRF eaters have to say about East Asian food? :hail:

• Like 4

Very difficult to choose, but the tie breaker is Pho

There are two places nearby that make it unbelievably good

o.jpg

Yeah, pho is hard to say no to too.

And I see you didn't check off Indonesian food Lucas. Here's some quality stuff in Bali:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Bali%20redux/IMG_4872.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Bali%20redux/IMG_5018.jpg

• Like 3

Thai and Vietnamese foods are great, but China has at least 8 distinct culinary styles as disparate as Norwegian and Italia, and I love 5 and a half of them.
  • Like 1

Thai and Vietnamese foods are great, but China has at least 8 distinct culinary styles as disparate as Norwegian and Italia, and I love 5 and a half of them.

Considering how big, how old, and how populated China is, it doesn't surprise me how varied the food is from place to place.

Drooling right now, thinking about all of this deliciousness!

There is something about Vietnamese pho that edges everything else out. It's great for b'fast, lunch or dinner, great for hangovers (much like a good bowl of Japanese miso ramen) and has so many variations, it would be hard to get sick of the stuff. I could eat it every day.

So for me, Vietnamese very closely followed by the wonderful variety of Indonesian (esp. Padang, although Balinese fish/squid is amazing) and Japanese foods (kaiten sushi, ramen, octopus balls on sticks...had non-deadly fugu once and it was unbelievably fresh and light and totally delicious.)

Also would like to say that fruit in SEA is plentiful and astoundingly flavourful. Dragon fruit, mangoes, different types of bananas, mangosteen, jackfruit... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Why did I look this thread up? Good thing I'm munching some mango right now or I'd be totally depressed!

What of SEA booze?

Mekhong Whisky (or Sangthip, or Sang Som or Hong Thong)

Lao-lao "white spirits"

Indonesian arak, tuak, brem

sake of all kinds

soju

baiju

Dear god, I've made it worse!

• Like 2

There is something about Vietnamese pho that edges everything else out. It's great for b'fast, lunch or dinner, great for hangovers (much like a good bowl of Japanese miso ramen) and has so many variations, it would be hard to get sick of the stuff. I could eat it every day.

So for me, Vietnamese very closely followed by the wonderful variety of Indonesian (esp. Padang, although Balinese fish/squid is amazing) and Japanese foods (kaiten sushi, ramen, octopus balls on sticks...had non-deadly fugu once and it was unbelievably fresh and light and totally delicious.)

Also would like to say that fruit in SEA is plentiful and astoundingly flavourful. Dragon fruit, mangoes, different types of bananas, mangosteen, jackfruit... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Why did I look this thread up? Good thing I'm munching some mango right now or I'd be totally depressed!

What of SEA booze?

Lao-lao "white spirits"

sake of all kinds

soju

baiju

A lot of good and great stuff in there vt. I will say though that I dislike soju. I gave that a few tries and nope, not a drink I care for

• Like 1

What of SEA booze?

Lao-lao "white spirits"

sake of all kinds

soju

baiju

A lot of good and great stuff in there vt. I will say though that I dislike soju. I gave that a few tries and nope, not a drink I care for

What of SEA booze?

Lao-lao "white spirits"

sake of all kinds

soju

baiju

I had soju for the first time at a truck stop somewhere between Nikko and Mito, believe it or not. It was mixed with iced-tea and called an "Oolong Hi". Pretty tasty that way!

I'm not a fan of baiju. It tastes like ass that has been filtered through more ass. I have a friend who has several different kinds, and some of them are pretty rough...and Indonesian tuak tastes like Spam. Not particularly refreshing!

What of SEA booze?

Lao-lao "white spirits"

sake of all kinds

soju

baiju

I SAID...oh, I see what happened here. Carry on.

Delicious thread :drool:

Whats your take on western Chinese food as opposed to authentic Chinese, from China? Only ask as many have said it differs greatly sometimes, from dish to dish.

Used to visit China town to get ingredients to rustle up some Thai. Though it felt like bumbling in the dark, being a novice. Still mighty tasty food, get the feeling there would be very few Asian dishes, I would turn down.

• Like 1

Whats your take on western Chinese food as opposed to authentic Chinese, from China? Only ask as many have said it differs greatly sometimes, from dish to dish.

Used to visit China town to get ingredients to rustle up some Thai. Though it felt like bumbling in the dark, being a novice. Still mighty tasty food, get the feeling there would be very few Asian dishes, I would turn down.

It's a world of difference. BUT I like both.

I'm a fat bastard so I'm not a snob about it...but I have to say that the authentic version is the better version.

• Like 1

I'm a fat bastard so I'm not a snob about it...but I have to say that the authentic version is the better version.

Did hear there is a difference, but I have not tried the authentic variety.

That's reassuring, as I 'm a bit of a food slut, like I say there is very little I will turn down, :D especially tasty dishes like these.

Eat drink be merry, for tomorrow we may snuff it.

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 1

That's reassuring, as I 'm a bit of a food slut, like I say there is very little I will turn down, :D especially tasty dishes like these.

Don't get me wrong, in my U.S. hometown and many other stateside sites, many Chinese retaurants are 100% quality BUT taste AND quality differ greatly

Don't get me wrong, in my U.S. hometown and many other stateside sites, many Chinese retaurants are 100% quality BUT taste AND quality differ greatly

Yeah I have heard they differ greatly, but still taste great in their own way. I have only had western take on Chinese food, and its really delicious, love it.

Interested what the actual Chinese dishes are like.