Anyone Here Love Genesis?

Steve Smith

errr....back to topic.

Yeah, there are definitely some similarities. And it's no secret that Rush were Genesis fans.

I've been into Rush for a looong time (well over 30 years, inching toward 35) but Genesis is my all-time favorite band.

I remember trying to get a drummer Rush-head friend of mine (very talented individual) into Genesis, and I remember playing him parts of Trick of the Tail, Selling England by the Pound, and the Lamb, but I especially focused on Trick... Songs like Dance on a Volcano and Robbery, Assault and Battery in particular.

I know Rush have done great ballads, but I think only Tears or Different Strings comes anywhere near this.

Look they are both wonderful wonderful bands with great music and great lyrical sensibilities. So let us fans of both bands celebrate them

• Like 2

I was always very partial to trick of the tail. Great record, and some really nice sprawling odd-time stuff if you want to compare them with Rush. Hackett is awesome on it, and so is everybody else for that matter. Phil plays some mean drums on those older records.
  • Like 2

I saw the last Rush show and the last Genesis show, cause I live in LA. Wow. that's kind of a heavy thought.....

Because Rush continued to tour so much (late 80s into the early 90s, plus the 2002-2015 phase, I saw them many more times live than Genesis, whom I only got to see 4 times.

Both bands put on such GREAT live shows.

That song you posted (Ripples) is one of my very favorites too. Was thrilled that they played it in '07.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 1

Collins era Genesis is where it's at.

I like Certain aspects of Gabriel Genesis. but i always thought he did his best work Solo.

the reverse for Collins. Amazing work in the band. kinda not so amazing solo.

though he did make Face Value.

Mick

• Like 2

Please do not ever be sarcastic again Johnny. You may slag me off and tell me that my opinion sucks and that I am a complete wanker, fair enough.

But please don't be sarcastic with me

Thanks

Steve

http://youtu.be/_i3puuhDS2E

SICK!

I am trying to make amends now

Yes maybe you are right that I am sick. But I am old and ugly enough and humble enough to admit I was wrong and try to resolve the situation

Thanks

I'm not qualified to make any determination on your well-being. There's a misunderstanding at work here.

Sick is the name of that most excellent episode of The Young Ones. Long may it reign.

• Like 2

I like Certain aspects of Gabriel Genesis. but i always thought he did his best work Solo.

Mick

I jumped after Hello....I Must Be Going myself. But I do have his Big Band and R&B albums after that.

• Like 1

Mick

I jumped after Hello....I Must Be Going myself. But I do have his Big Band and R&B albums after that.

Hello was great too. I LOVE Thru these walls. i love phils more twisted songs.

that......in the Air Tonight....mama.

all great tunes

Mick

• Like 1

I don't go nuts over the early PG era stuff like some do (Nursery Cryme is pretty spotty, despite its sterling reputation), but Selling England and The Lamb are both aces. I think those are the two best Genesis records.

A Trick of the Tail, Duke and Wind & Wuthering would round out my top five.

• Like 2

Please do not ever be sarcastic again Johnny. You may slag me off and tell me that my opinion sucks and that I am a complete wanker, fair enough.

Thanks

Steve

SICK!

I am trying to make amends now

Yes maybe you are right that I am sick. But I am old and ugly enough and humble enough to admit I was wrong and try to resolve the situation

Thanks

I'm not qualified to make any determination on your well-being. There's a misunderstanding at work here.

Sick is the name of that most excellent episode of The Young Ones. Long may it reign.

Sorry about that, I spend a lot of time spaced out but back on planet earth again. Yes cool show

Neil??

Yes Rick?

Have you farted??

No

Well there is a very farty smell around here and it certainly didn't come from MY bottom!

Vivian?

WHAT!!

Did you through the toilet out of the window?

NO!!!

I think you did Vivian because you know that I have a runny bottom!

Brilliant!

Thanks

Steve

SICK!

I keep tropical fish in my underpants. When my friend John got his new Ford I had waited for years to be able to say say "Helow John got a new Mowtaa?"

Love early prog Genesis. My favorites:

Foxtrot

Selling

Lamb

Trick

Wind

Seconds Out is a great live album.

I do also fairly like Duke, Trespass, Three, Abacab, even Genesis.

I don't touch "invisible touch", nor do I dance to "we can't dance"

I LOVE Gabriel solo work, and I like Collins' solo work (grew up in the 80's can't help it.) I am also a big fan of Collins' Brand X (because I'm also a fusion fan!)

• Like 1

Thanks

Steve

SICK!

I keep tropical fish in my underpants. When my friend John got his new Ford I had waited for years to be able to say say "Helow John got a new Mowtaa?"

'ere, didn't you kill my brotha? No, that was me, nevamind.

• Like 1

I am listening to "Ripples" right now and having an eargasm

I know that they are very different from Rush because they were always a keyboard orientated band, but I think there are so many similarities.

Just wanted to know?

Steve

DUH

I just saw The Musical Box last night......

• Like 1

I know that they are very different from Rush because they were always a keyboard orientated band, but I think there are so many similarities.

Just wanted to know?

Steve

220px-Chatterbox.jpg

Just wanted to know?

Steve

DUH

aaaaaaand?

• Like 1

Just wanted to know?

Steve

DUH

aaaaaaand?

Me too.... aaaaaand ?

I saw them two weeks ago.

• Like 1

I actually think they were more like Rush after Hackett left and Mike Rutherford took over on lead guitar. And Then there Were Three and Duke were a lot more like Rush than Trick. Again just my humble opinion

I think that Mike went more for guitar "textures" in the same way that Alex was going rather than virtuosity. They got Daryl in to do all of the really techy guitar stuff live, I am not saying that he was anywhere near as good a technician as Steve but it gave Mike the freedom to create the guitar sounds and textures on the studio work and I think they worked much better as a three piece in the studio if I am honest

Steve