Anyone Here Love Genesis?

Steve Smith

Thanks 78jazz for your nice comment.

I agree too. TOFT is very like Caress and 2112 and Kings in its ethos IMHO.

Steve Hackett put two distortion boxes together in reverse polarity which created this strange effect of rising and falling dynamics with no attack on the note.

Many people think it was done with a volume pedal to take the initial attack off the note but it wasn't.

KR's

Steve

I love Genesis. I liked them before I even knew what "Prog" was.

For me, it's the same with Rush---I loved them before I even knew what prog was. AND it's part of the reason why vivisection of rock categories is unnecessary...but that's another topic and forum I guess

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments folks both good and also not so good.

I started this thread so I have to accept all criticism and take it on the chin. That is why I very much like this forum with intelligent people making their thoughts known and not pulling any punches.

Just for the record, I am very new to this social media stuff. I don't have a Facebook account or go on "Twatter". Sorry but in my view it is completely narcissistic if you think that anyone would be interested when you make a cup of coffee or go for a shit. But hey? once again that is just my opinion.

In hindsight I should have called the threat something like "similarities between Rush and Genesis" and to that effect I feel that it IS relevant to this forum group.

They both pushed the boundaries of Prog in the 70's, they both used complex chord progressions and different time signatures and they both wrote about different themes.

That is why I felt they had so many similarities.

I agree they were very different in the fact that Rush was guitar orientated and Genesis was keyboard orientated, but I believe that a lot of their work had very much in common.

That is all I wish to say on the subject.

I hope that makes some sort of sense

Thanks

Steve :sundog:

Ah, your meaning wasn't clear before now. Yes this thread can go in either MOTS or the main Rush discussion based on that, so no worries.

Well, to me they're both classic prog rock bands, so they do have some inherent similarities in their complex time signatures and chord structures as well as lyrical topics and other prog stereotypes. However, when you get down to the nitty gritty, I find them to be really completely different in their approaches to music. I suppose Neil and Phil have similar drumming styles (to an extent), but otherwise they look at things in markedly different ways. Alex tends to arpeggiate for accompaniments, Steve tends to riff a few notes rhythmically. Geddy lines are often jazzy and showy, Mike's are geared more towards the songs needs. Tony plays so. many. chords. Geddy more often plays simpler melodies and hooks. Peter and Phil and Geddy are all completely unique vocalists and I don't really feel like pointing any specific differences out. If i had to name two albums (ne from each band) that were the most similar, I'd probably say Abacab and Signals, for the new wave influences on both, the fact that Tony played more simple ideas on abacab and Geddy started playing more complex ideas (i.e. chords) on Signals, and a slightly similar cool palette for the cover artwork I guess.

I love both to death, and I get a general sense of similarity, but I really never hear anything that reminds me of one in the other.

• Like 1

Just for the record, I am very new to this social media stuff. I don't have a Facebook account or go on "Twatter". Sorry but in my view it is completely narcissistic if you think that anyone would be interested when you make a cup of coffee or go for a shit. But hey? once again that is just my opinion.

Just for the record, I had coffee and a shit earlier today. It was black.

The coffee that is. :P

And hey, also just for the record, some think it's completely narcissistic to think anyone would be interested when someone goes on about a jaguar they drive. But hey, once again those are just opinions.

• Like 1

Johnny

Err... when did I last mention my car please?

Please enlighten me?

Yes it is in my avatar, so what????

For the record Johnny I paid £8500 for the car which is about the same as a bottom of the range Ford Ka. so by your logic are you going to slag off everyone who buys a cheap new car. I do not show that car to say "Ooh look at me how rich I am!!" I simply wished for a classic car that I could look after as a wish that I have always wanted.

I am just a normal average working class man and I really resent that comment, it was completely out of order and there was no need to bring that up.

Very very poor dig Johnny.

what the f**k is the matter? do you have shares in Twitter or something????

Yeh you wanted a reaction and you got one

Steve

Can I ask please ? when did

Yes sir Steve Smith. I will do what ever you order me to do because I'm great when people tell me what to do.

I don't give a crap about Twitter. I don't even know how to use it.

Sure, I've got Facebook but I don't do what you're ranting about. But I don't care how people use it either. And I don't care what you think about it either. These are jokes. Albeit sarcastic ones. But oh yeah, you're not allowing me to be sarcastic. Good luck with that.

Lighten the f**k up.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 3

Early Genesis with PG was THE prog band for me... back in high school, I was used to write out the lyrics to Supper's Ready and then show everyone in my class that "I could do it." Most didn't care or know what Supper's Ready was... But, Rush was THE band, overall. Some similarities, no doubt. And, Steve has some very good points here. Stop with the "Forum Ethics Police Squad."
  • Like 1

One more Genesis / Rush comment... I think the similarities between them and Rush ended with A Trick of the Tail. That is a GREAT album, but then they started getting more toward the pop end of things,(especially after Steve Hackett left after Wind and Wuthering) and I drifted away from the band. Saw them in 1980 (Duke Tour) and it was a wicked concert, but I didn't run out and buy any new Genny albums. Haven't since... but I have everything from Wind and Wuthering back to Trespass.
  • Like 1

Thanks Johnny

I am sure you will find that I have a good sense of humour.

Erm.... sorry you just touched a nerve that is all. I am the last person in the world who would brag about whatever I have or have not

I wasn't ranting about FB or social media in general at all I promise, all I was saying is that it is not for me.

I made a point that I felt was important, that people who use Twitter have a high sense of self importance to believe that everyone is hanging on their every word and actions. I make no apologies for expressing that opinion.

I still feel slightly uncomfortable that you may think I am "lording it" because I have a Jag and I believe that I have never made any comment to try to put myself above anyone else.

As I said Johnny, it only cost me £8500, I am a classic car enthusiast and not someone who would buy a car as a status symbol or to gloat and try to show off to others.

If you wish to make sarcastic jokes then in future I will promise to "lighten up" as you say and try to develop a thicker skin.

Anyway enough said, thanks for the reply.

How was your holiday in SE Asia? I would really like to travel there soon

Cheers Johnny

Steve

"I made a point that I felt was important, that people who use Twitter have a high sense of self importance to believe that everyone is hanging on their every word and actions. I make no apologies for expressing that opinion."

I use Twitter, as a shy person, it's been a great tool for me. My followers and I discuss music and family, on the main. Your posts are ill thought-out and idiotic, then you go all mea culpa when you're brought to heel. Unctuous bellendry of the highest order.

One could also say someone whose avi is them with a classic car and an axe suggests "a high sense of self-importance".

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw
  • Like 2

Please do not ever be sarcastic again Johnny. You may slag me off and tell me that my opinion sucks and that I am a complete wanker, fair enough.

But please don't be sarcastic with me

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Johnny

You keep it very well hidden.

Now that Tony has commented in the thread and made his opinions known, I can finally rest easy and hopefully sleep well tonight after a restless night last night.

• Like 1

Please do not ever be sarcastic again Johnny. You may slag me off and tell me that my opinion sucks and that I am a complete wanker, fair enough.

Thanks

Steve

Is this a joke?

You being sarcastic?

Thanks

Steve

Thanks Johnny

Now that Tony has commented in the thread and made his opinions known, I can finally rest easy and hopefully sleep well tonight after a restless night last night.

Thanks

Steve

Steve, we're here to have fun, enjoy some spirited discussion and hopefully interact the way friends do .. Sometimes humor and good fun can get lost in translation on a message board ..

I think it was you that spoke about Rush, and their sense of humor, right ??

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

You being sarcastic?

Thanks

Steve

http://youtu.be/_i3puuhDS2E

Thanks Johnny

Alexi!