Anyone Here Love Genesis?

Steve Smith

Still listen to Genesis more than anything else. Always will. Only time that changed for a few months was when Rush brought out a new album but i'd eventually go back. Classical prog for adults never ages with time. Sheer British quality & class

My prog eyes werent fully opened till i got my first vinyl of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. A thing to behold.

Mindyou the later stuff without Gabriel just as cool, the album 'Genesis' is brill - Home by the sea, second home by the sea illegal alien an sh*t. Just great stuff. Doesn't get better than And The There Were Three either - I knock it's an old pop chart thing but stick Follow You Follow Me on and you'll just slide into it, beautiful piece of music

Even Calling All Stations without Collins pretty good when you give it a chance, particularly The dividing Line which is powerful stuff.

Isn't a more beautifully written album anywhere than We Can't Dance, technically superb.

I could spend the rest of my life listening to nothing but Genesis. Such a rich & varied discography, not unlike rush. Mentioned later stuff but tbh they never really surpassed their second album Trespass from 1970 is that good.

Looking behind me, the water turns icy blue.... the lights are dimmed and once again, the stage is set, for YOU'

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 4

Just a heads up. Surprisingly the Rush Forum areas are for discussing Rush only. Music of The Spheres in the General Discussion section is for discussing other bands etc.

It's very bad form to start topics in the wrong Forum area.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 4

For all the progressive bands Rush gets compared to, I think Genesis is one they have a lot in common with.

From 1973-1980 they put out some superb material. Count me in as someone who is a major fan of at least some of their catalog.

Genesis and Rush would be my personal favourite two bands over the years.

The overall mixture of those two bands when I first started getting into music in the mid 70's I think has influenced most of what I've listed to and enjoyed in music ever since.

For me Genesis Seconds Out 1977 and Duke 1980 together with Rush Hemisphers 1978, Permanent Waves 1980 and Moving Pictures 1981 are just crystal clear memories from my 13-18 year old "times". (Together with Supertramp Crime of the Century, Pink Floyd Darkside of the moon and Kansas Two for the show).

More to the point though... I think for me at the time both bands were different to a lot of the stuff around at the time and the combination of both I found was a huge and rewarding listening experience. When I look back now based on what I have read over the years I think it was because both bands were pushing the boundries, trying to create new sounds, structures, emotions through their music with rock, classical, jazz influences and creating their own sound in the process.

I'm also a part time average drummer and the drums have always been something I'd been drawn to growing up and hearing Phil Collins / Chester Thompson on Seconds Out and Neil Peart on Hemispheres / Permanent Waves for the first time in 1977 (Seconds Out) and 1980 (purchase of my first two Rush albums) respectively I was just totally blown away... I think that may have been my first key "linking" point... in my mind... to both bands.

Edited by Duke1

Just a heads up. Surprisingly the Rush Forum areas are for discussing Rush only. Music of The Spheres in the General Discussion section is for discussing other bands etc.

Do you even bother to read the forum titles?

Why would you want to discuss Genesis in the Rush section?

I think he wanted to discuss some similarities between them.

If so, then leave him alone and let him discuss this.

Yes, you will be taken outside and shot.

I'm sure a middle-aged man needs you to defend him ;)

Yes there are a multitude of threads about them in the other sub forum. You guys should stop picking on him. He's going to think you're serious. :P

I think they get compared a lot because of the prog and synth aspect of their music.

• Like 1

No!

Never cared for Peter Gabriel .. Genesis has some great moments instrumentally, but Gabriel and Phil Collins always killed the vibe for me

Rush and Genesis came from very different places, both musically and in terms of what they were all about ... Truth be told, I could never really connect with Genesis and their art-school pretense whereas the bond with Rush happened immediately, both in terms of music and members ..

Only Peter Gabriel Genesis.

Going to see The Musical Box (Genesis cover band 1972-1975 ) next week. They are performing Selling England By The Pound.

They are excellent

• Like 2

Steve, if you ever want to talk about genesis in general on here, please do so in either the very popular thread I made sometime last year, which can be found at the following link:

http://www.therushfo...is#entry4043970

Or in the other official genesis thread which isn't as cool but actually preceded mine because I was dumb enough not to search for one before I made mine. Found at the second link in this post:

http://www.therushfo...genesis-thread/

...ironically I was the last one to post in the first genesis thread when I made my own. I guess I forgot it existed. But also mine became much more popular, and I'm still the last one who posted in the original one, lol.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the comments folks both good and also not so good.

I started this thread so I have to accept all criticism and take it on the chin. That is why I very much like this forum with intelligent people making their thoughts known and not pulling any punches.

Just for the record, I am very new to this social media stuff. I don't have a Facebook account or go on "Twatter". Sorry but in my view it is completely narcissistic if you think that anyone would be interested when you make a cup of coffee or go for a shit. But hey? once again that is just my opinion.

In hindsight I should have called the threat something like "similarities between Rush and Genesis" and to that effect I feel that it IS relevant to this forum group.

They both pushed the boundaries of Prog in the 70's, they both used complex chord progressions and different time signatures and they both wrote about different themes.

That is why I felt they had so many similarities.

I agree they were very different in the fact that Rush was guitar orientated and Genesis was keyboard orientated, but I believe that a lot of their work had very much in common.

That is all I wish to say on the subject.

I hope that makes some sort of sense

Thanks

Steve :sundog:

• Like 2

I agree that there are some musical similarities. I think some of the music on A Trick of the Tail is close to what Rush was doing and would end up doing. The solo on No One at the Bridge is very Hackett-esque and a lot of Neil Peart's drumming approach was similar to Phil Collins'.
  • Like 1