Lucky Supermarket

pjbear05

I finally got out to the Lucky's that opened up near work after reading an article in the newspaper about sipping a craft beer while food shopping. Hmm, right up my alley. Went on Saturday so I could drink err, browse for a while. They had a mini bar that was tapping Narraganset Lager, Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale, and a IPA from local yokels Due South. Ordered a Dale's, which was placed in a glass holder attached to the shopping cart because it was a full size glass pint. Went through the produce section, which had a huge selection of regular and organic fruits and veggies, all of which was very high quality. Picked up some oranges, Granny Smith Apples, and Roma Tomatoes.

Then went up and down the aisles of packaged goodies. Grabbed some Santa Cruz Organic Dark Roast Crunchy Peanut Butter, a bag of in-house tortilla chips, and a box of Kashi 7 grain cereal. Checked out the meat, all natural, high quality, but not cheap. sampled some of the bacon, which is smoked on site, YUM!

WHOA, BULK WHOLE BEAN COFFEE A PLENTY! AND 6 BUCKS/LB? I'M THERE! Had at least 20 regular and 8 decaf styles. Mixed up some French Roast and Sumatran, and picked up some Ethiopian for the wife (she likes the bright slightly acidic stuff, not me).

As I'm approaching a loooooooong deli counter I feel a hand on my shoulder, and voice says "hey Paulie, finally made it here eh?' It was Scott, a friend from my neighborhood that previously worked at the Publix I do my regular food shopping at, but left there when management bitched about him being "too progressive." We high fived, and since he was on break he gave me the nickel tour of the store, with him introducing me to his co-workers as "the biggest Rush Fan I know", which got a bunch of appreciative nods, grins, and comments. Scott showed me the huge beer and wine section, with lots of craft and local brews in stock. Jeez, I could have dropped as pile of bucks there alone.

We headed back to the deli counter, where I ordered a pizza for the wife and a fat sub sandwich for me-both made on the spot. Scott went behind the deli counter and scooped me up a pint of a very interesting wild rice and veggie salad for the missus.. We said our "See ya's", and I went to check out.

The sub sandwich was killer, jammed with salami, mortadella, prosciutto, provolone, and veggies. The wife said the pizza (3 cheese Margherita w/freshly torn basil leaves) and the wild rice salad were both very good.

Understand, Lucky's is not cheap. But everything was very high quality, lots of organic and locally farmed or made products, an outstanding deli area, a super friendly and helpful staff, and you can enjoy a brew while you're shopping. If you're "lucky" enough to have a Lucky's near you by all means check it out. I'll sure be back to this one!

http://www.luckysmarket.com/

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 4