Synth tracks clash: Countdown VS Manhattan Project?

Texas King

Synth tracks clash: Countdown VS Manhattan Project?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Synth tracks clash: Countdown VS Manhattan Project?

I can't choose. I love both songs, they both would make my 'best of' synth era Rush album.

I think they both successfully translate the emotions of the lyrical content excellently.

I understand that a lot of people dislike Countdown. I did not know that until I joined this forum, and it surprised me. I

Both are great...honestly, I don't consider Countdown to be a synth song, though. (And doesn't Manhattan Project have an actual string ensemble in it, during the middle 8?)

Anyway, both are very different moods from one another. But they're both great. Most days, I'd pick Countdown. But not all.

I was never a fan of Countdown. To tell the truth, I found it to be filler material. Then one day, after joining TRF, I had an exchange in some thread with Rushgoober who was talking about how great Countdown was. It convinced me to go listen to the song again and give it another shot. Much to my shock I realized he was right and now I find I enjoy it. Love it - no. Like it a good deal - yes.

So, that being said, which do I prefer? Even though Countdown has moved way up in my estimation over the years, it still pale's in comparison to Manhattan Project. Manhattan Project is a 5 star song. Hard to beat that.

So, what I am saying is that Countdown is a good song, but against Manhattan Project it gets beat by a wide margin. Not a reflection of the weakness of Countdown. Rather a testament to the strength of Manhattan Project.