21st Century Academy Awards Best Pictures

JohnnyBlaze

21st Century Academy Awards Best Pictures  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite of these 21st century Academy Awards Best Pictures?

• Spotlight
    • Birdman
    • 12 Years a Slave
    • Argo
    • The Artist
    • The King's Speech
    • The Hurt Locker
    • Slumdog Millionaire
    • No Country for Old Men
    • The Departed
    • Crash
    • Million Dollar Baby
    • Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    • Chicago
    • A Beautiful Mind
  2. 2. How many of them have you seen?

• None of them
    • Only one: (x)
    • Just a few, between two to five of them
    • Some, between six to ten of them
    • Most of them, between eleven to thirteen of them
    • I've seen all of them except for (x)
    • All of them

No Country for Old Men is my fav. And I've seen nine of these films from start to end. Parts of some of the others.

I've seen all of 11 of them and part of LoTR (couldn't finish it, bored). 5 of those 11 I thought were great. No Country is 1 of those 5 but I think I like Slumdog and MDB more. I'd probably rank Slumdog slightly higher because of its replay value.

It came down to No Country and The Departed for me. I went with The Departed because I feel it holds up better to multiple viewings.

I liked The Departed and have seen it tons of times but...

- Jack seemed somewhat like an actor trying to be like Jack even though it's actually Jack. Yeah, like that.

- I have a hard time accepting DiCaprio being able to kick anyone's ass.

And then a couple of the good points...

- Ray Winstone. The most believable of the bunch IMHO.

- Usually I don't care about Damon either way but here I thought he was good as a rat! He's better as a villain anyway.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

It came down to No Country and The Departed for me. I went with The Departed because I feel it holds up better to multiple viewings.

sddefault.jpg

His performance never gets old for me. Woody Harrison and Tommy Lee Jones are also great, and the dialogue is topnotch.

sddefault.jpg

His performance never gets old for me. Woody Harrison and Tommy Lee Jones are also great, and the dialogue is topnotch.

He's so damn good in that that I forget that Woody Harrelson is even in it. Woody's good though in it.

Tommy Lee Jones fits perfectly into that role too. I really like how he's chasing Bardem who's chasing Brolin but he doesn't quite catch up to them. Well, he does. But not.

I pick Million Dollar Baby, one of Clint's finest movies.

It didn't hold my interest.

Wow. For me, that's at least Clint's best since Unforgiven. From there I'd probably have to dig back into the 70s to find something better.

Yeah, I wish I cared more for late-era Eastwood. I couldn't make it through Trouble with the Curve either.

Wow. For me, that's at least Clint's best since Unforgiven. From there I'd probably have to dig back into the 70s to find something better.

Yeah, I wish I cared more for late-era Eastwood. I couldn't make it through Trouble with the Curve either.

I agree with you on that one. The only reason I tried that was because it was Clint and it was one of my in-flight movie choices. I switched after about half an hour. It didn't help either that Justin Timberlake was in it and basically just showing his face and reciting lines.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I agree with you on that one. The only reason I tried that was because it was Clint and it was one of my in-flight movie choices. I switched after about half an hour. It didn't help either that Justin Timberlake was in it and basically just showing his face and reciting lines.

I remember exactly nothing from what I saw. Was there a pickup truck at some point?

I remember exactly nothing from what I saw. Was there a pickup truck at some point?

Amy Adams jumped in a lake or some body of water wearing just a bra and panties

• Like 1

Amy Adams jumped in a lake or some body of water wearing just a bra and panties

Now that I would remember. May have to give it another try!

I've only seen four of them, I should try more I guess. Something is wrong with my genes as everyone in my family loves the LOTR series but me (I don't care for the books or Rivendell either.) I'm still trying to catch Spotlight and Birdman on On Demand. My son said Spotlight was really excellent and more like a detective film than one would think.
  • Like 1

I've only seen four of them, I should try more I guess. Something is wrong with my genes as everyone in my family loves the LOTR series but me (I don't care for the books or Rivendell either.) I'm still trying to catch Spotlight and Birdman on On Demand. My son said Spotlight was really excellent and more like a detective film than one would think.

Which 4 did you see? There are some really good movies in that bunch.

LotR 3 is the only one on that list that I didn't FINISH. Everything else I saw completely or didn't see at all.

The Blaze bros are pretty much split on LotR. A couple of them are surprised that I don't like the Rings movies.

Return Of The King for me.

Nooooo.... :poke:

It's interesting to me that 7 different flicks have been chosen from 8 TRFers.

I had never even heard of The Artist. I only know about it now because I read the synopsis before making the poll.

The Artist would be my second choice. Masterpiece.

I had never even heard of The Artist. I only know about it now because I read the synopsis before making the poll.

And here I am trying to figure out what planet I was living on in 2011. I knew nothing about it.
  • Like 1

And here I am trying to figure out what planet I was living on in 2011. I knew nothing about it.

It was a silent movie. Black and white set in the twenties. It's a joy! A little movie that showed at a couple of festivals ended up becoming one of the most talked about movies of the year. Total accident, that films success!

• Like 1

Which 4 did you see? There are some really good movies in that bunch.

LotR 3 is the only one on that list that I didn't FINISH. Everything else I saw completely or didn't see at all.

The Blaze bros are pretty much split on LotR. A couple of them are surprised that I don't like the Rings movies.

We normally see quite a few movies, but yeah, only 4 on this list. It's a viewing prejudice, but I volunteered for a long time at a domestic violence shelter so I usually say no to violent stuff, (got stuck with John Wick last year, very unusual circumstances.) I did see Chicago, Argo, King's Speech and A Beautiful Mind. I'd still like to see The Artist as it got such good press at the time. My favorites were The King's Speech (enjoy anything historical) and Argo (same for suspenseful).