Geddy Lee Signature Sans Amp

lczzach

It's not necessarily a cash grab, but unless you're in a Rush tribute band,or an all originals band where you want to have his sound, is it really something you need? I have a Geddy Jazz, but I don't play with his sound at all. This is good if you're going without an onstage amp and have a good in-ear system. My band's in-ear system doesn't allow for individual mixes, so for me this wouldn't work. And to use it in conjunction with my GK head relegates the head to just a power amp. And the general public will never comment unless you're in a Rush cover band.
  • Like 1

It's not necessarily a cash grab, but unless you're in a Rush tribute band,or an all originals band where you want to have his sound, is it really something you need? I have a Geddy Jazz, but I don't play with his sound at all. This is good if you're going without an onstage amp and have a good in-ear system. My band's in-ear system doesn't allow for individual mixes, so for me this wouldn't work. And to use it in conjunction with my GK head relegates the head to just a power amp. And the general public will never comment unless you're in a Rush cover band.

I use my Sansamp RBI through the front of my GK MB800 Fusion, the GK pre adds a bit of familiar growl that a power amp just doesn't have.

Its something he never used.......ever, so. It also requires two power amps to be used, unless you are just going direct to the board.

would you please elaborate on that ? why would it needs two power amps ?

According to what I have seen it has two discreet outputs. One is full frequency (basically an RPM) and the other is a low frequency output. So essentially its two preamps in one, each with its own discreet output. In order to obtain the desired effect you will need two power amps or go direct into the pa. Probably be killer in the studio.

Edited by Stugotz
  • Like 1

Its something he never used.......ever, so. It also requires two power amps to be used, unless you are just going direct to the board.

According to what I have seen it has two discreet outputs. One is full frequency (basically an RPM) and the other is a low frequency output. So essentially its two preamps in one, each with its own discreet output. In order to obtain the desired effect you will need two power amps or go direct into the pa. Probably be killer in the studio.

if i understand you correctly, you cannot use this unit like a basic rpm or rbi like i do with my orange ad200 ? (just like a basic preamp) ?

since you seems to know your thing, would you please have a look to the new topic i have just created (help a computer illiterate) ?

thank you.

mB

if i understand you correctly, you cannot use this unit like a basic rpm or rbi like i do with my orange ad200 ? (just like a basic preamp) ?

since you seems to know your thing, would you please have a look to the new topic i have just created (help a computer illiterate) ?

thank you.

mB

I would have to say no, the idea behind it is to bi-amp a dirty signal and a somewhat clean low signal, so that would require two separate amps or a signal combiner of some sort.

There was a guy on CP that was a total Geddy clone. He even had a Ricky Bass/12-string double neck. He wired his Jazz basses in stereo and ran each of the outputs through separate heads and twin-15 cabs. It'd be interesting to see this through that system. Way too busy for me these days. If we ever get in-ears with individual mixes, I'll switch to my SansAmp Bass Driver direct box and stop using an onstage amp altogether.
  • Like 1

Tech21 is an awesome company, I never play without my RBI. I have owned nearly every product they make. I am sure they do!

Skully was the one working with Tech 21 on this project....I think the Geddman will surprise us very soon....he will not spend the rest of his life just attending and scoring Blue Jays games and collecting fine wines.... I wish!! :7up:
  • Like 1

Tech21 is an awesome company, I never play without my RBI. I have owned nearly every product they make. I am sure they do!

Skully was the one working with Tech 21 on this project....I think the Geddman will surprise us very soon....he will not spend the rest of his life just attending and scoring Blue Jays games and collecting fine wines.... I wish!! :7up:

For sure! I only hope he goes back to his old style of playing and dumps that Flamingo technique! lol

• Like 1

For sure! I only hope he goes back to his old style of playing and dumps that Flamingo technique! lol

Probably...but I can stand him playing even one fingga doghouse one string bass! :geddy:
  • Like 1

OK, so this thing has two independent pre-amps. One is basically his Tech 21 RPM and the other is what? Is the other pre-amp trying to mimic the sound of the Avalon U5 or the Palmer PDI-03? Those of us trying to replicate his sound can easily get their hands on the Avalon U5 and RPM, but the Palmer is very hard to get (an original, not the remake) and damn expensive. What do you think?