Are Rush in top 10 most popular bands in the world according to their fanbase?

Texas King

Are Rush in top 10 world's bands with the largest fanbase?   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Are Rush in top 10 world's bands with the largest fanbase?

Your opinions?

I think maybe, I am not sure.

But take into account the number of fans across the globe.

I know in Australia they are not popular, in big part of Europe they are not popular, in South America they are fairly popular.

In the UK they are pretty popular among rock fans. And in North America they are vastly popular.

How many fans Rush have in the US alone?

No.

You've misunderstood this post in the other thread...

They made unique but profoundly versatile music with a unique but profoundly versatile and large audience, which came to trust Rush's honesty and righteous awesome power so much that it kind of became the world's biggest cult fanbase.

Wait, Rush is the rock band with the largest fanbase in the world? I don't believe it!

They made unique but profoundly versatile music with a unique but profoundly versatile and large audience, which came to trust Rush's honesty and righteous awesome power so much that it kind of became the world's biggest cult fanbase.

Wait, Rush is the rock band with the largest fanbase in the world? I don't believe it!

...and now you've made a poll out of your misunderstanding.

Entre Perp specifically said CULT in there. Rush aren't the Rolling Stones or The Beatles.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call Rush a "cult" band. When I think of cult bands I think of under-the-radar groups like Frank Zappa, Ween, Neutral Milk Hotel, Phish, and The Grateful Dead.

But Rush aren't in the top 10 most famous bands. Off the top of my head: The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, The Rolling Stones, The Who, AC/DC, Beach Boys, U2, and Aerosmith are all more popular. Rush have had many hits but aren't as popular as those, you're more likely to be familiar with those bands.

From my perspective, I think that Rush fans feel that the band plays a very important role, which goes beyond just the music ..

By no means is it universal, however, there is a bond and a philosophy that goes with it

And I think dedicated is a key word here in terms the fanbase - I mean, it takes some dedication to stick with a band after something like Presto

;)

Edited by Lucas

No, they don't...it might seem like it to those of us who hang out here every day, but that's about as far as it goes.

"Dedicated"- now that is right on.

• Like 1

The OP seems to suffer from some confusion regarding fact vs opinion, as evidenced by other threads of his. Such as, the one in which he seems to believe that he can "prove" that John Entwistle is a better bassist than Geddy, or the one in which he characterises the opinions of others as "inaccurate."
  • Like 1

Running with the cult aspect I have to say that I think the deadheads, parrot heads and whatever they call phish fans might be more numerous. Bruce has a big following too

Deadheads, Brucie's and Phish fans seem to be very interested into their bands

Rush fans seems to be very interested in Rush and very into lots of other bands as well. MOTS!

I'm a bit confused by the phrasing of the question. Are Rush in the top ten most popular bands in the world according to their fanbase? According to their fanbase? Probably. A lot of Rush fans consider Rush their favorite band, right? If so, I would contend that Rush's fanbase would consider Rush a top ten group in the world. Now, objectively, is Rush a top ten most popular band in the world? Not at all. Not even close.
  • Like 1

I'm a bit confused by the phrasing of the question. Are Rush in the top ten most popular bands in the world according to their fanbase? According to their fanbase? Probably. A lot of Rush fans consider Rush their favorite band, right? If so, I would contend that Rush's fanbase would consider Rush a top ten group in the world. Now, objectively, is Rush a top ten most popular band in the world? Not at all. Not even close.

Haha well said and I had the same question.

I agree they are not top 10, but wouldn't say not close. Thinking they might be close to making a top 25 list. Top 10 off the top of my head would be The Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd, The Who, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Metallica, The Doors, U2, Queen give or take a couple but these bands are on a different planet and always will be.

20 years ago, Rush wouldn't have made a top 100 list, but they are no longer a cult band. Their popularity is at an all time high and I think all their exposure to the mainstream has given a lot of people a chance to appreciate their amazing career. So, yah, I could see them in a top 25 list.