What makes Rush different than other trio rock bands?

Texas King

At nearly all trio bands there is an apparent leader, the other two guys are usually extras/interchangeable characters, no matter how much good they are. There's plenty of examples of such bands, for example The Police, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Nirvana, Cream, Genesis, Motorhead etc. There are few examples where all three band members have almost an equal status, but it is a special kind of internal harmony within the band and the best example for it is RUSH.

Your comments?

Edited by Texas King

If you know anything about King's X (fan or not) they are as equal status as it gets. Internal harmony and actual harmonies.

As far as Rush...they obviously have that working respect and close lasting friendship, but Neil is the leader to me as the sole lyric master and "author" of a band's 40+ year journey.

• Like 1

Um, all the members of Genesis DID have equal status when they were a trio. Just because Phil had a huge solo career and started doing a lot of writing at the start of the eighties, doesn't mean he ruled the band. He'd actually been in the band the least amount of time out of the three of them.

For Rush, what makes them different from other trios is the same as what makes them different in general. They made unique but profoundly versatile music with a unique but profoundly versatile and large audience, which came to trust Rush's honesty and righteous awesome power so much that it kind of became the world's biggest cult fanbase. The Police were new wave pops stars. Cream were adored by everyone who liked rock and the new psychedelic and heavy stuf. Genesis were hardcore prog weirdos turned pop geniuses with a knack for splitting their fanbase in two by doing whatever they felt like. Nirvana I don't need to explain. Jimi was the singular greatest guitarist of all time when he first hit the scene, doing things no one had imagined with the instrument, and becoming the guitar hero while leaving his band as his vehicle. And those are just a few examples.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

What makes Rush different is their underwear. I can't entirely be sure but if you took all the underwear Geddy, Alex, and Neil have worn over the years, I'd guess that there's no other trio that has had those same undies. Other trios might've had the same style, brand, or even size but THOSE specific undies they likely haven't used.
  • Like 1

They made unique but profoundly versatile music with a unique but profoundly versatile and large audience, which came to trust Rush's honesty and righteous awesome power so much that it kind of became the world's biggest cult fanbase.

Wait, Rush is the rock band with the largest fanbase in the world? I don't believe it!

They're Canadians, so they're all too polite to tell each other "no." :P

I think a big part of it is the childhood friendship between Geddy and Alex. They know how to work together and share the workload and creative input, and they extended that dynamic to Neil when he joined.

By the way, Muse is also a trio, but I don't hear as much about Dominic Howard as I do about Matt Bellamy and Chris Wolstenholme.

Edited by Disk98

Um, all the members of Genesis DID have equal status when they were a trio. Just because Phil had a huge solo career and started doing a lot of writing at the start of the eighties, doesn't mean he ruled the band. He'd actually been in the band the least amount of time out of the three of them.

Tony Banks was a huge influence on their post-Peter musical direction, no?
  • Like 1

No beards or fuzzy guitars.

T

Those bearded fuzzy guitar mob have been around longer with no change of drummer.They even had synth period(Afterburner).But they never did a By-tor and the Snowdog.Jusf Cheap Sunglasses and Pearl Necklaces.

At nearly all trio bands there is an apparent leader, the other two guys are usually extras/interchangeable characters, no matter how much good they are. There's plenty of examples of such bands, for example The Police, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Nirvana, Cream, Genesis, Motorhead etc. There are few examples where all three band members have almost an equal status, but it is a special kind of internal harmony within the band and the best example for it is RUSH.

Your comments?

EVERYTHING!

No beards or fuzzy guitars.

T

Those bearded fuzzy guitar mob have been around longer with no change of drummer.They even had synth period(Afterburner).But they never did a By-tor and the Snowdog.Jusf Cheap Sunglasses and Pearl Necklaces.

That's right!

;)

I was a thought a lot of it was because they have equal status in the band. Each of them have their particular niche they fit into and are irreplaceable. Secondly their personalities all mesh and they have had a similar musical goals and direction. Had one of them decided they wanted to go off in a different musical direction that would've been the end of the band.
  • Like 1

Imo it was always Tonys band.

• Like 1

Imo it was always Tonys band.

As an outsider and one who is not too familiar with Genesis, when I listen to something like Lamb Lies Down, I am struck most by the keyboards and how they dictate the vibe of the band, even if they are not always in the forefront or focal point ..

I'm actually waiting for A Curious Feeling to come in the mail on CD

• Like 1

I would say PRIMUS comes damn close.

Annoying singer.

One of the best bassists on the planet.

Tim Alexander is one of the greatest drummers in the world.

Larry's guitar work is in outer space, yet so original and cool.

Seeing RUSH and PRIMUS together on the ROLL THE BONES TOUR three times was probably the best double bill I have ever seen in my life.

However in March I am seeing UFO and SAXON together!!!!

METAL LIVES!!!!

RUSH IS DEAD!

• Like 1

It's all the brain surgery they've had. I doubt most bands of any size have had even .00001% of the brain surgeries of these guys.

Yes, and don't forget the soup.