Favorite Rush Ballad?

DistantEarlySignals

45 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Rush ballad?

• Rivendell
    • Panacea
    • Tears
    • Madrigal
    • Different Strings
    • Losing It
    • Tai Shan
    • Second Nature
    • Available Light
    • Everyday Glory
    • Resist
    • The Larger Bowl
    • Halo Effect
    • The Garden

The Garden is absolutely beautiful, IMO. I also really like live versions of In The End, from ATWAS and the WMMS 1974 concert. The studio version on FBN doesn't have much life to it for some reason.
  • Like 1

I am really not qualified to comment on any Rush tracks post 1984 but I do think that Tears is such a beautiful and emotional song. Different Strings is less emotional but still a very powerful ballad. Alex plays wonderfully at the end and it just fades out too quickly, Alex should have been allowed to play that solo for longer, it has the same great power and emotion as David Gilmour on Comfortably Numb in my humble opinion. Memo to the band - re record Different Strings with a longer solo at the end. I don't really think that Alex has ever been given a long enough solo on a ballad to truly express himself, sadly they all seem a bit short. The solo at the end of Xanadu for example and Different Strings. Here Again from the first album is another great emotional solo from Alex
  • Like 1

I am really not qualified to comment on any Rush tracks post 1984 but I do think that Tears is such a beautiful and emotional song. Different Strings is less emotional but still a very powerful ballad. Alex plays wonderfully at the end and it just fades out too quickly, Alex should have been allowed to play that solo for longer, it has the same great power and emotion as David Gilmour on Comfortably Numb in my humble opinion. Memo to the band - re record Different Strings with a longer solo at the end. I don't really think that Alex has ever been given a long enough solo on a ballad to truly express himself, sadly they all seem a bit short. The solo at the end of Xanadu for example and Different Strings. Here Again from the first album is another great emotional solo from Alex

Nice to see some love for Here Again, one of my faves!

Love that doomy, melancholy scalar riff, played rhythmically straight over Rutsey's swinging drum pattern. Powerful stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks Vapour

You are one of the good guys :-)

Yes Here Again was a staple of the band I was in when I first started as a kid circa 79.

It is not a difficult piece but has so much power and feeling.

The progression from D major to A major then going to C major is a very simple progression but seems to add so much power and feeling, I have always felt that way about that use of those 3 chords.

Hope you enjoy the last couple of days in SEA. It is a beautiful place and us in the West that think we know it all can learn so much from the people and their cultures over there

Love and peace :-)

KR's

Stevie

• Like 1

Thanks Vapour

You are one of the good guys :-)

Yes Here Again was a staple of the band I was in when I first started as a kid circa 79.

It is not a difficult piece but has so much power and feeling.

The progression from D major to A major then going to C major is a very simple progression but seems to add so much power and feeling, I have always felt that way about that use of those 3 chords.

Hope you enjoy the last couple of days in SEA. It is a beautiful place and us in the West that think we know it all can learn so much from the people and their cultures over there

Love and peace :-)

KR's

Stevie

I don't know if I'm that good of a guy, but I'll take that compliment!

Thanks Steve, and cheers!

"Losing It" made my top of the list. It was the first Rush ballad that I could relate to since I was going through a rough time romantically even though it isn't about that. I also love "Halo Effect" because we know what it's like to put someone on a pedestal and realize they weren't what we thought they were. "The Garden" comes in close third as it teaches me about how precious life is. "Tears" comes last in the Top of my list but it's a great song about how we long to have someone we love understand us through emotions, and in this case, tears.

The Garden holds so much meaning for me, as it should all Rush fans, as it's likely the final track on the final album. And what a way to put a bow on it. Personally, I used some of the lyrics as I gave away my daughter at her wedding several months ago.

Resist (acoustic, please), Available Light and Different Strings are 2-3-4.

• Like 1

"Rivendell". I originally voted "Tears" but when I saw the result I decided to change my vote because I think "Rivendell" deserves at least one. "Different Strings" was a fave in the 80s up until Signals when "Losing It" took over.

http://youtu.be/NdBhHijmD9c