Jump to content


What makes Geddy a great player?


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gillette, Wyoming
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

Thoughts?

Sponsored Post

#2 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10808 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:02 PM

I love Geddy's sincerity, and the way his playing is just a natural and effortless extension of who he is - he delivers these unbelievably great lines and digs in with such gusto and feel for the song ..

As a guitarist, I really don't care for bassists who approach the bass as if it were a guitar, using light gauge strings and no balls or sense of creating that big bottom end ..

Geddy plays bass, and he plays it as good as anyone IMHO



#3 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24278 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

His sense of melody, his sense of filling out the bottom end, and his ability to make any song better with his bass part.

#4 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21765 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:33 AM

Hard to put into words. Composition. Knowing what to play and when. His unique approach to the bass. You always know it's him playing.

#5 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

    Professor Gumby

  • Members
  • 63094 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Yorkshire, UK
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

Practice Posted Image

#6 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10283 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

View PostYour_Lion, on 15 January 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

Practice Posted Image



WINNER!!  :clap:




[end thread]

#7 Stugotz

Stugotz

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida
  • Interests:RUSH
    Bass Player - YYNOT

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostYour_Lion, on 15 January 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

Practice Posted Image

Hardly......it's his ability to transfer his soul through his fingertips. You can't practice that.

#8 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 9844 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

It's a combination of talent and a keen sense of melody and rhythm coupled with the type of music Rush play.

As a trio creating ambitious music he was almost forced to play in a way that could occupy a lot of space.....most progressive bands had keyboards from the offset.

#9 Stugotz

Stugotz

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida
  • Interests:RUSH
    Bass Player - YYNOT

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

View PostLucas, on 14 January 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

As a guitarist, I really don't care for bassists who approach the bass as if it were a guitar, using light gauge strings and no balls or sense of creating that big bottom end ..

Well then that would cover the Wal/Berger years........

#10 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10283 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

View PostStugotz, on 15 January 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

View PostYour_Lion, on 15 January 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

Practice Posted Image

Hardly......it's his ability to transfer his soul through his fingertips. You can't practice that.

Then there is no need for any practicing or playing.  He just has to hold the bass guitar, and his "soul" just magically goes into it.  :P

#11 Stugotz

Stugotz

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida
  • Interests:RUSH
    Bass Player - YYNOT

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:25 AM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 15 January 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

View PostStugotz, on 15 January 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

View PostYour_Lion, on 15 January 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

Practice Posted Image

Hardly......it's his ability to transfer his soul through his fingertips. You can't practice that.

Then there is no need for any practicing or playing.  He just has to hold the bass guitar, and his "soul" just magically goes into it.  :P


Now that's funny^^^^^^^^^^^^
Plenty of people can practice to play the notes, but to play them with feel and groove is something you cannot practice.

Edited by Stugotz, 15 January 2017 - 11:34 AM.


#12 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

    Professor Gumby

  • Members
  • 63094 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Yorkshire, UK
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostStugotz, on 15 January 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

View PostYour_Lion, on 15 January 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

Practice Posted Image

Hardly......it's his ability to transfer his soul through his fingertips. You can't practice that.
Oh, I agree. That's why, as a guitarist, I tend to prefer players for their feel, rather than technique.

I was just having fun and riffing on the old "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" joke. Posted Image

#13 78jazz

78jazz

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 350 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MidWest U.S.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

View PostStugotz, on 15 January 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 14 January 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

As a guitarist, I really don't care for bassists who approach the bass as if it were a guitar, using light gauge strings and no balls or sense of creating that big bottom end ..

Well then that would cover the Wal/Berger years........

I would chalk that up to the bass and/or how it is EQ'ed. You can still get ballsy tone from light gauge strings.

#14 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

    The Dad Abides

  • Members
  • 10260 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

The Nose

#15 Stugotz

Stugotz

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida
  • Interests:RUSH
    Bass Player - YYNOT

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 15 January 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

The Nose

WIN!

#16 Geddy Jazz

Geddy Jazz

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 208 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mexico
  • Interests:Rush

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

His love for the bass guitar.....he is primarily a bass player then a singer..." this is without question my favorite instrument on the planet...it´s got what I call a shmg%$%&&lka which is an undefinable thing that is awesome" he says on his Rock Icon documentary...what he did on R40 bringing 20+ basses onstage nobody in the history of rock has done it....probably some guitar player but a a "bassist" not that I know.....

Geddy Lee...The Maestro :geddy:

#17 stoopid

stoopid

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 753 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate, NY
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

He tends to be very busy/noodley, but also knows when to kick back a bit and just support the rhythm.  It's that ability to find a balance between exceptional, virtuosic chops and master songwriter-level instincts that makes him a step above any of the best bassists in rock music.  If you ever need proof of what he brought to the band, check out his solo album.

It's going to be a lot of years until he's "forgotten".

#18 ILSnwdog

ILSnwdog

    King Of Car Porn

  • Members *
  • 50024 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Interests:My kids. Music. Cars. Sports. Snowmobiling. Just about anything outdoors.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 15 January 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

Hard to put into words. Composition. Knowing what to play and when. His unique approach to the bass. You always know it's him playing.
I love how Geddy can play within the song.  He will go crazy on occasion, but never at the expense of the song.  

He is so amazing.  One of the only bass players in the world where I'll listen to a song and just key on the bass.

#19 Geddy Jazz

Geddy Jazz

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 208 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mexico
  • Interests:Rush

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

View PostILSnwdog, on 17 January 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 15 January 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

Hard to put into words. Composition. Knowing what to play and when. His unique approach to the bass. You always know it's him playing.
I love how Geddy can play within the song.  He will go crazy on occasion, but never at the expense of the song.  

He is so amazing.  One of the only bass players in the world where I'll listen to a song and just key on the bass.
his tone always cuts through.....never buried in the mix...so proud of playing melodic bass

#20 ILSnwdog

ILSnwdog

    King Of Car Porn

  • Members *
  • 50024 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Interests:My kids. Music. Cars. Sports. Snowmobiling. Just about anything outdoors.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

I remember being a kid, and listen to Neil's drums, thinking they were the best part of a Rush song.  Now, it's without a doubt, Geddy's bass.  That is what blows me away more often than Neil's ridiculous fills.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users