Rate the Rush album part IX: Caress of Steel  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the album Caress of Steel

• ★☆☆☆☆
    • ★★☆☆☆
    • ★★★☆☆
    • ★★★★☆
    • ★★★★★

This album would be pretty interesting to rate.

Rate it and name your most fave track(if it is one of two epics name the most fave part of track).

Overall 4 stars from me.

Fave track: Necromancer, fave part: Return of the Prince - I can't describe how much is this part outstanding, esp.Lifeson guitar work, one of his best in the Rush career

Honorable mentions to Fountain of Lamneth and Bastille Day. I don't care for other two tracks at all.

Edited by Texas King

Love 'Bastille Day', the energy in that song helps propel the album past the fun but ultimately forgettable 'Bald' and the boring 'Lakeside'.

'Necromancer' as a jam is incredible. The spoken word portions sound dated now, but musically it's great.

I have always been a fan of 'Fountain', I think they actually do a great job with the adolescent section ('Didacts') and the young adult section ('Bridge') and paint the story of a life well. Not a fan of 'Panacea', though.

I gave it a 4, because even though I just don't like Lakeside Park I do like the words and the idea, but I don't like how Geddy sings it, especially the chorus. Bald is a solid average, and the rest are great.

• Like 1

I love Caress Of Steel, and I would rate it as 4.5 stars

My favorite is the entire The Necromacer track - it is one of my favorite pieces of music ever, and I love the narration ..

I also love No One At The Bridge

And I've ridden this into the ground, but the crime of not putting Garden Road on an album comes into play here more than anywhere else in Rush's catalog .... Bald is a throwaway track and how they chose to record Bald over Garden Road - which would have fit perfectly on Caress - is a total mystery ..

Swap those two songs and Caress Of Steel would be my favorite Rush album

Edited by Lucas

I love Caress Of Steel, and I would rate it as 4.5 stars

My favorite is the entire The Necromacer track - it is one of my favorite pieces of music ever, and I love the narration ..

I also love No One At The Bridge

And I've ridden this into the ground, but the crime of not putting Garden Road on an album comes into play here more than anywhere else in Rush's catalog .... Bald is a throwaway track and how they chose to record Bald over Garden Road - which would have fit perfectly on Caress - is a total mystery ..

Swap those two songs and Caress Of Steel would be my favorite Rush album

Garden Road is nothing special. The main reason it gets love is that it was never officially released. And that was for a reason. It's not nearly as good as "Bald".,

3.5 would be my official rating, so I rounded up to 4. Necromancer and Fountain were both huge steps toward finding their ultimate identity as a band. Alex's playing in particular is among his most passionate and inspiring throughout the record.

Bastille Day & Lakside Par are both 4 star songs. I Think I'am Going Bald is a 2 or prhaps a 3 star song. Then their is The Fountain of Lamneth & The Necromancer. Both are 1 star songs and among (IMO) some of the worst songs Rush has done.

With a big chunk of the album getting only 1 star, that ruins the album. 1 star for me. The only Rush album I dislike more is the original VT.

Bastille Day: 10.0 (out of 10)

I Think I'm Going Bald: 5.0

Lakeside Park: 5.5

The Necromancer: 3.5

The Fountain of Lamneth: 2.5

That's a 5.3 average. So theoretically it deserves three stars, but I'm only giving it two because the epics at the end are too long and are just plain terrible.