Smart Phone Disease

Tick

You know, I think a lot of the problem, if there is one, stems from the fact that children today are often given smartphones pretty early in life. I didn't get one until I was fourteen, but my seven-year-old cousin has one, and my brother talks always about fifth and sixth graders running around with the latest iPhone. I think that breeds some form of entitlement, that these kids think they have the world coming to them. That having a smartphone is some sort of basic freedom, like speech or religion. So they use them nonstop, all the time, it seems.

I'm not against young kids having phones, and I don't think smartphone "addiction" is a real concern, but I will say that kids need to get off their high horse a little bit and have some gratitude and common sense.

• Like 2

I'm not against smart phones per se as I have one myself.

However, if I have company or am visiting someone it remains turned off.

If you ever have a meal with me, if your smartphone rings for any reason other than an emergency, it will be exiting the establishment via the nearest window.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

If you ever have a meal with me, if your smartphone rings for any reason other than an emergency, it will be exiting the establishment via the nearest window.

So you've got a phone have you? I didn't think they had them in Aberdeen yet. :16ton:

Well, Tick, I don't see it so much as a "disease," but moreso an evolution of society. Now, I agree that using a smartphone at red lights is irresponsible and potentially dangerous; however, for many other societal functions, such as eating at a restaurant, going to a friend's house, or sometimes even walking down the street (however stupid that may be), using a smartphone to the point where many—ahem—older people find it excessive is becoming the norm. And, I must agree with Johnny when he says that many people aren't so much addicted as they are habitual users.

We disagree, because I believe its way more than just evolution of society. I believe many would struggle mightily if there phone was taken away for any length of time. Its become a life support system for many.

Its become a scourge for the youth of the world because they have become socially retarded in the way they interact face to face because they avoid real interaction when at all possible.

That's a bit harsh, but I see where you're coming from. Yes, I agree that the dangers of things like texting while driving are far too common, but I also think it's important to accept that, however "socially retarded" the youth of today is, even excessive (to some) smartphone use has become normal. But addiction? While I do agree that there may be a relatively large number of people who do fit that bill, I think you're unfairly generalizing all young people. And maybe, as I am included in that demographic, you might be brushing my claims off as worthless excuses (but I could be wrong; I don't want to accuse), but you should understand that smartphones aren't "life support" for as many people as you might think. :)

These are just my opinions based on data from my own personal observations. Some consider the word "retarded" to be completely derogatory. I'm don't use it with malice. I mean it in the scene it stunts the social growth in human interaction with many teens. They get more uptight when forced to interact face to face. My daughter is 16 and a junior in high school and trust me when I tell you there is an anxiety in social interaction created by the way they communicate face to face that did not exist in the days before cell phones. I can't expect you to relate to something you have no point of reference for, I'm just adding my perspective on things. I understand you are simply going to view it differently. It would almost be impossible for you not to.

Its like if an elderly person said to me, "life was very different before television when all we have was radio. People were not overly as consumed as they are now"

What could I say to that? I just listen and ponder the thought.

But I do agree your perspective as well and respect your view. :fistbump:

Oh, absolutely. I'm not going to disagree with you on that part. In teenagers especially, social aspects of life have completely changed for the worse. I'm a bit the same way in that I'm uncomfortable talking to people face-to-face and would rather email or text, but I think a lot of that is due to my having Aspergers. So, in some sense, being on my phone or iPad actually contributes positively to my social life. After all, I found TRF! So I guess it's a double-edged sword, because you are completely correct that there are plenty of people who use them excessively to the point where they can't dream of real, personal interaction when they are totally capable of it. :cheers:

Well said, Tick! I saved this in my Best Quotes folder.....

I've never owned a cell phone.

I think you're fibbing....

:popcorn:

I agree, Lyndsey!

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/30/30550314f044d524962bfa95df8d92716d1b0fe65ee74f20c49e3cc5d086b972.jpg

Yeah, never owned one. I don't see the point of it. What do I need it for?

Now I KNOW you're fibbing!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20screaming.gif

Well, Tick, I don't see it so much as a "disease," but moreso an evolution of society. Now, I agree that using a smartphone at red lights is irresponsible and potentially dangerous; however, for many other societal functions, such as eating at a restaurant, going to a friend's house, or sometimes even walking down the street (however stupid that may be), using a smartphone to the point where many—ahem—older people find it excessive is becoming the norm. And, I must agree with Johnny when he says that many people aren't so much addicted as they are habitual users.

We disagree, because I believe its way more than just evolution of society. I believe many would struggle mightily if there phone was taken away for any length of time. Its become a life support system for many.

Its become a scourge for the youth of the world because they have become socially retarded in the way they interact face to face because they avoid real interaction when at all possible.

That's a bit harsh, but I see where you're coming from. Yes, I agree that the dangers of things like texting while driving are far too common, but I also think it's important to accept that, however "socially retarded" the youth of today is, even excessive (to some) smartphone use has become normal. But addiction? While I do agree that there may be a relatively large number of people who do fit that bill, I think you're unfairly generalizing all young people. And maybe, as I am included in that demographic, you might be brushing my claims off as worthless excuses (but I could be wrong; I don't want to accuse), but you should understand that smartphones aren't "life support" for as many people as you might think. :)

These are just my opinions based on data from my own personal observations. Some consider the word "retarded" to be completely derogatory. I'm don't use it with malice. I mean it in the scene it stunts the social growth in human interaction with many teens. They get more uptight when forced to interact face to face. My daughter is 16 and a junior in high school and trust me when I tell you there is an anxiety in social interaction created by the way they communicate face to face that did not exist in the days before cell phones. I can't expect you to relate to something you have no point of reference for, I'm just adding my perspective on things. I understand you are simply going to view it differently. It would almost be impossible for you not to.

Its like if an elderly person said to me, "life was very different before television when all we have was radio. People were not overly as consumed as they are now"

Oh, absolutely. I'm not going to disagree with you on that part. In teenagers especially, social aspects of life have completely changed for the worse. I'm a bit the same way in that I'm uncomfortable talking to people face-to-face and would rather email or text, but I think a lot of that is due to my having Aspergers. So, in some sense, being on my phone or iPad actually contributes positively to my social life. After all, I found TRF! So I guess it's a double-edged sword, because you are completely correct that there are plenty of people who use them excessively to the point where they can't dream of real, personal interaction when they are totally capable of it. :cheers:

I agree, Lyndsey!

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/30/30550314f044d524962bfa95df8d92716d1b0fe65ee74f20c49e3cc5d086b972.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20screaming.gif

No I'm not.

• Like 1

So you've got a phone have you? I didn't think they had them in Aberdeen yet. :16ton:

What would you know?....you're a duck and your webs would get in the way :moon:

• Like 1

What would you know?....you're a duck and your webs would get in the way :moon:

And my bill! At least it's not a phone bill though...

I agree, Lyndsey!

No I'm not.

YES YOU ARE! YES YOU ARE! NYAH NYAH NYAH!!!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Banana%20sword.gif

I agree, Lyndsey!

No I'm not.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Banana%20sword.gif

Well believe what you like, won't make any difference. :hail:

I agree, Lyndsey!

No I'm not.

And I thought I was the last 'hold out' on that...I remember the phone bill from GTE that finally convinced me to go cellularJanuary 2006! Went out and got one of those Motorola RAZR. the closest thing to a Star Trek communicator. LOL

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Movies-%20TV/star_trek_classic_communicator.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Movies-%20TV/early%20Motorola%20RAZR.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/rocket%20banana.gif

I agree, Lyndsey!

No I'm not.

And I thought I was the last 'hold out' on that...I remember the phone bill from GTE that finally convinced me to go cellularJanuary 2006! Went out and got one of those Motorola RAZR. the closest thing to a Star Trek communicator. LOL

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Movies-%20TV/star_trek_classic_communicator.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Movies-%20TV/early%20Motorola%20RAZR.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/rocket%20banana.gif

I'll be holding out in 2112!

• Like 1

I agree, Lyndsey!

No I'm not.

uh huh

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/rainbow%20banana.gif

I respect treeduck not ever owning a mobile phone. I was a bit late to the cell phone game myself not owning one until 2006. Only got my first smart phone two years ago.

I used to have the what do I need one for mentality as well. But as time went on it became necessary to have one since everyone else has them. It's just become too common place not to have one.

It does come in handy for emergencies whether it involves life, work or something else.

But keep kicking it old school and don't get one ducky if things are just fine for you without it.

I say all this while posting from my smart phone lol.

• Like 1

I agree, Lyndsey!

No I'm not.

uh huh

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/rainbow%20banana.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nDWHvcDXlY

I respect treeduck not ever owning a mobile phone. I was a bit late to the cell phone game myself not owning one until 2006. Only got my first smart phone two years ago.

I used to have the what do I need one for mentality as well. But as time went on it became necessary to have one since everyone else has them. It's just become too common place not to have one.

It does come in handy for emergencies whether it involves life, work or something else.

But keep kicking it old school and don't get one ducky if things are just fine for you without it.

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

:hail: :hail: :hail: :d13: :hail: :hail: :hail:

• Like 1

YOU CRETIN!!! PEPSI IS POISON!!!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/mulit%20color%20banana%20dance.gif

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/mulit%20color%20banana%20dance.gif

I'm not drinking it, they are. :D-13:

• Like 1

I'm not drinking it, they are. :D-13:

Should warn 73 we need a COCA COLA drinking emote!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Invisible%20Banana.gif

You need one of these. :mwah:

http://wtop.com/mobile/2017/01/lonely-kissenger-simulates-long-distance-smooch-internet/slide/1/

Another option is this. :D

https://www.cnet.com/news/bendable-and-foldable-phones-will-break-us-from-the-smartphone-rut/

http://wtop.com/mobi...ternet/slide/1/

https://www.cnet.com...smartphone-rut/

no, he needs one of THESE, http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Drinkage/Coke%20drinker%20smiley.gif

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20shimmy%20shimmy%20coco%20Bop.gif

http://wtop.com/mobi...ternet/slide/1/

https://www.cnet.com...smartphone-rut/

I need an advert? :huh:

• Like 1