Smart Phone Disease

Tick

Is it just a matter of time before Smart Phone addiction is labeled a disease? It is becoming a new epidemic. I can't tell you how many times I sit at a red light for seemingly forever before the person in front of me takes there eyes off of there phone top see the light has changed.

Can you picture this at a meeting...

"Hello, my name is _____, and I'm addicted to my ph...oh hold on a second I have to respond to this"

• Like 3

Well, most medical associations (including the American Medical Association) define addiction as a disease sooooo the "matter of time" has already been here...as long as someone is diagnosed by a mental health professional as being addicted to the use of a smart phone. There's a difference though between "habitual" and "addicted" and PROBABLY most people that you might think are addicted are simply "habitual users". Surely, there are plenty on this planet who are addicted though...and thus, have this disease.
  • Like 3

Well, Tick, I don't see it so much as a "disease," but moreso an evolution of society. Now, I agree that using a smartphone at red lights is irresponsible and potentially dangerous; however, for many other societal functions, such as eating at a restaurant, going to a friend's house, or sometimes even walking down the street (however stupid that may be), using a smartphone to the point where many—ahem—older people find it excessive is becoming the norm. And, I must agree with Johnny when he says that many people aren't so much addicted as they are habitual users. Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

Well, most medical associations (including the American Medical Association) define addiction as a disease sooooo the "matter of time" has already been here...as long as someone is diagnosed by a mental health professional as being addicted to the use of a smart phone. There's a difference though between "habitual" and "addicted" and PROBABLY most people that you might think are addicted are simply "habitual users". Surely, there are plenty on this planet who are addicted though...and thus, have this disease.

Correct. We can all paint are addictions any way we see fit to justify them but reality is people are truly addicted to these devices to the point if taken away they would suffer greatly mentally. I have little doubt about that.

It has not been labeled as a disease as of yet to the point people can be covered under insurance for the treatment and therapy they need to put the f***ing things down for 10 minutes.

• Like 1

Also consider this, Tick. Many professional occupations today require the use of smart devices now or will in the near future, such as education, architecture, graphic design, and even some higher corporate management. Not to mention the rise of YouTube and other social media becoming viable occupations for a few select people, which I see becoming more and more prevalent as time goes on.

Well, Tick, I don't see it so much as a "disease," but moreso an evolution of society. Now, I agree that using a smartphone at red lights is irresponsible and potentially dangerous; however, for many other societal functions, such as eating at a restaurant, going to a friend's house, or sometimes even walking down the street (however stupid that may be), using a smartphone to the point where many—ahem—older people find it excessive is becoming the norm. And, I must agree with Johnny when he says that many people aren't so much addicted as they are habitual users.

Remember, I also said that addiction IS a disease and many ARE addicted.

But yeah, I'd wager that if you picked 10 VERY high users of their smart phones, less than half would actually be addicted.

It's worth extensive research at the very least.

• Like 2

Well, Tick, I don't see it so much as a "disease," but moreso an evolution of society. Now, I agree that using a smartphone at red lights is irresponsible and potentially dangerous; however, for many other societal functions, such as eating at a restaurant, going to a friend's house, or sometimes even walking down the street (however stupid that may be), using a smartphone to the point where many—ahem—older people find it excessive is becoming the norm. And, I must agree with Johnny when he says that many people aren't so much addicted as they are habitual users.

We disagree, because I believe its way more than just evolution of society. I believe many would struggle mightily if there phone was taken away for any length of time. Its become a life support system for many.

Its become a scourge for the youth of the world because they have become socially retarded in the way they interact face to face because they avoid real interaction when at all possible.

Remember, I also said that addiction IS a disease and many ARE addicted.

But yeah, I'd wager that if you picked 10 VERY high users of their smart phones, less than half would actually be addicted.

It's worth extensive research at the very least.

As I said, its just a matter of time. The writing is on the wall for it to be labeled as such. Especially when you consider the dangers of texting and driving. And people can seem to heed the warnings and stop doing it.

But of course at some point everyone in there cars will be hands free speaking texts and that will solve the problem, because otherwise nothing will stop people from doing it.

Also consider this, Tick. Many professional occupations today require the use of smart devices now or will in the near future, such as education, architecture, graphic design, and even some higher corporate management. Not to mention the rise of YouTube and other social media becoming viable occupations for a few select people, which I see becoming more and more prevalent as time goes on.

I am in no way arguing the usefulness of a smart phone. I'm pointing out the misuse of them. A person who enjoy alcohol in moderation and its not a bad thing. The ones that can't become alcoholics and some die from it.

That is the difference between proper use and addiction. I love to use my phone and computer, but I can disconnect when necessary. Some people simply can not. There in lies the issue.

• Like 1

We disagree, because I believe its way more than just evolution of society. I believe many would struggle mightily if there phone was taken away for any length of time. Its become a life support system for many.

Its become a scourge for the youth of the world because they have become socially retarded in the way they interact face to face because they avoid real interaction when at all possible.

That's a bit harsh, but I see where you're coming from. Yes, I agree that the dangers of things like texting while driving are far too common, but I also think it's important to accept that, however "socially retarded" the youth of today is, even excessive (to some) smartphone use has become normal. But addiction? While I do agree that there may be a relatively large number of people who do fit that bill, I think you're unfairly generalizing all young people. And maybe, as I am included in that demographic, you might be brushing my claims off as worthless excuses (but I could be wrong; I don't want to accuse), but you should understand that smartphones aren't "life support" for as many people as you might think. :)

I think phones are changing how humans evolve. Those not smart enough to leave it alone while driving, are causing more and more fatal accidents which gets them out of the gene pool. They are also killing other people too, but we don't know much about their intellect.
  • Like 1

Since the days of the NES, the idea of video game addiction had been considered a real thing, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I do find it's very easy to become dependent on your smartphone, when you look at this device from an analytical standpoint, the concept of a smartphone has completely revolutionized human communication. You can literally talk to anybody anywhere and anywhen you want. And that's not just with calling or texting, but with things like Facetime or Hangouts, you can still talk almost face-to-face with a person.

• Like 2

That's a bit harsh, but I see where you're coming from. Yes, I agree that the dangers of things like texting while driving are far too common, but I also think it's important to accept that, however "socially retarded" the youth of today is, even excessive (to some) smartphone use has become normal. But addiction? While I do agree that there may be a relatively large number of people who do fit that bill, I think you're unfairly generalizing all young people. And maybe, as I am included in that demographic, you might be brushing my claims off as worthless excuses (but I could be wrong; I don't want to accuse), but you should understand that smartphones aren't "life support" for as many people as you might think. :)

These are just my opinions based on data from my own personal observations. Some consider the word "retarded" to be completely derogatory. I don't use it with malice. I mean it in the sense it stunts the social growth in human interaction with many teens. They get more uptight when forced to interact face to face. My daughter is 16 and a junior in high school and trust me when I tell you there is an anxiety in social interaction created by the way they communicate face to face that did not exist in the days before cell phones. I can't expect you to relate to something you have no point of reference for, I'm just adding my perspective on things. I understand you are simply going to view it differently. It would almost be impossible for you not to.

Its like if an elderly person said to me, "life was very different before television when all we have was radio. People were not overly as consumed as they are now"

What could I say to that? I just listen and ponder the thought.

But I do agree your perspective as well and respect your view. :fistbump:

Edited by Tick
  • Like 2

I hope no one is taking this thread as a negative referendum against smart phones?

I greatly love having one. Its about abusing a good thing.

• Like 3

These are just my opinions based on data from my own personal observations. Some consider the word "retarded" to be completely derogatory. I'm don't use it with malice. I mean it in the scene it stunts the social growth in human interaction with many teens. They get more uptight when forced to interact face to face. My daughter is 16 and a junior in high school and trust me when I tell you there is an anxiety in social interaction created by the way they communicate face to face that did not exist in the days before cell phones. I can't expect you to relate to something you have no point of reference for, I'm just adding my perspective on things. I understand you are simply going to view it differently. It would almost be impossible for you not to.

Its like if an elderly person said to me, "life was very different before television when all we have was radio. People were not overly as consumed as they are now"

What could I say to that? I just listen and ponder the thought.

But I do agree your perspective as well and respect your view. :fistbump:

Oh, absolutely. I'm not going to disagree with you on that part. In teenagers especially, social aspects of life have completely changed for the worse. I'm a bit the same way in that I'm uncomfortable talking to people face-to-face and would rather email or text, but I think a lot of that is due to my having Aspergers. So, in some sense, being on my phone or iPad actually contributes positively to my social life. After all, I found TRF! So I guess it's a double-edged sword, because you are completely correct that there are plenty of people who use them excessively to the point where they can't dream of real, personal interaction when they are totally capable of it. :cheers:

• Like 2

fraroc brings up a great point in regards to video game addiction .. If you are interested, this is pretty good:

http://www.livescience.com/17033-gamer-brain-reward-system.html

All I can say on the subject of "smartphones" is that they are the perfect vehicle to introduce when considering the long term plan for the control and manipulation of civilization ..

• Like 2

I've never owned a cell phone.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/30/30550314f044d524962bfa95df8d92716d1b0fe65ee74f20c49e3cc5d086b972.jpg

• Like 2

Is it just a matter of time before Smart Phone addiction is labeled a disease? It is becoming a new epidemic. I can't tell you how many times I sit at a red light for seemingly forever before the person in front of me takes there eyes off of there phone top see the light has changed.

"Hello, my name is _____, and I'm addicted to my ph...oh hold on a second I have to respond to this"

Just honk your horn after 3 seconds. Jeez!

• Like 2

Just honk your horn after 3 seconds. Jeez!

Oh, so it was you?

• Like 1

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/30/30550314f044d524962bfa95df8d92716d1b0fe65ee74f20c49e3cc5d086b972.jpg

Yeah, never owned one. I don't see the point of it. What do I need it for?

Perhaps you don't. I can tell you why I do. I have a wife and 16 year old daughter. If I need to be reached any time of any day I want to be able to be contacted in a moments notice.

• Like 1

Yeah, never owned one. I don't see the point of it. What do I need it for?

Perhaps you don't. I can tell you why I do. I have a wife and 16 year old daughter. If I need to be reached any time of any day I want to be able to be contacted in a moments notice.

Mine is necessary for work. Simple as that. Only in the last few years have I been using it for entertainment too.

• Like 1