Day-Lewis vs Hanks vs Denzel vs Neeson

JohnnyBlaze

Hollywood Heavy Hitters vs  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your favorite of this group?

• Daniel Day-Lewis
    • Tom Hanks
    • Denzel Washington
    • Liam Neeson
  2. 2. What do you think of this poll?

• I had a hard time choosing 1 of the 4 because they're all pretty awesome.
    • It came down to 3 of them but I made my pick and I'm sticking to it.
    • It came down to either (x) or (y) so I chose what I chose.
    • (x) all the way baby!
    • I had a tough time choosing because none of them are all that special to me.
    • I ended up randomly picking one because they're all overrated, overpaid, Hollywood trash!

Well Daniel Day-Lewis is the most versatile and talented actor of these four but I'm not sure if I'll choose him, it's either him or Denzel though.

You went with the double JohnnyBlaze votes given that you ended up going with Denzel too. :hail:

Yeah the one guy I don't like out of this bunch is Hanks. I didn't used to like Neeson so much but I've come to appreciate his skills a little more over the last few years.

One Neeson movie that's kind of absurd but pretty enjoyable is The Grey.

Your favourite ones though are The Dead Pool and Darkman!

You remembered! They're not total crap but yeah they're not on my "movies I'd recommend" list

• Like 1

Well Daniel Day-Lewis is the most versatile and talented actor of these four but I'm not sure if I'll choose him, it's either him or Denzel though.

You went with the double JohnnyBlaze votes given that you ended up going with Denzel too. :hail:

Yeah the one guy I don't like out of this bunch is Hanks. I didn't used to like Neeson so much but I've come to appreciate his skills a little more over the last few years.

You remembered! They're not total crap but yeah they're not on my "movies I'd recommend" list

I like the one where he plays a bare knuckle fighter, The Big Man.

Never saw it. No way could he have taken on DDL in The Boxer.

Come to think of it, Denzel was a boxer too in Hurricane. A real one at that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsW4D8f6Amk&t=6s

Never saw it. No way could he have taken on DDL in The Boxer.

Come to think of it, Denzel was a boxer too in Hurricane. A real one at that.

That fight looks like two drunks in a car park on a Saturday night!

Says a lot that there's a 3 way tie for the most favorite with DDL just one vote behind.

Unsurprising that Lucas went with one of his typical oppositional-defiant type votes in "They're all overrated, overpaid Hollywood trash" :LOL:

That's because his favourite actor is Rob Lowe! :hail:

Says a lot that there's a 3 way tie for the most favorite with DDL just one vote behind.

Unsurprising that Lucas went with one of his typical oppositional-defiant type votes in "They're all overrated, overpaid Hollywood trash" :LOL:

I felt that choice was near and dear to my heart

:LOL:

laughinghead.gif

• Like 1

laughinghead.gif

:hi:

I felt that choice was near and dear to my heart

I somewhat intended that one for you. I knew someone would choose it. After a little thought, I thought you would. :LOL:

• Like 1

laughinghead.gif

• Like 2

Was just looking at each of these big name actors' filmography. Turns out I've seen this many movies from each...

DDL: 6 (it's not many but he's impressed me in those few hours)

Hanks: 31 (it's a ton but there are still tons I haven't seen)

Denzel: 21 (thought I had seen more)

Neeson: 17 (thought I had seen fewer)

Was just looking at each of these big name actors' filmography. Turns out I've seen this many movies from each...

Daniel Day Lewis is very selective and hasn't done that many films. I bet he hasn't done 31 films throughout his whole career probably not even 21.

Daniel Day Lewis is very selective and hasn't done that many films. I bet he hasn't done 31 films throughout his whole career probably not even 21.

Twenty.

Twenty.

Thanks for the look goose :cheers:

Good guess duck :yes:

I'm fine with him being selective. My favorite director, Kubrick, didn't make too many movies compared to some other big names but he always did an awesome job. I think I'd probably say the same for DDL. Gangs of New York, for example, wasn't that good IMHO BUT he was good. Come to think of it, Neeson was in that too.

• Like 1

I think you might like this...

Recently I read this interview with Hanks and he was talking about being directed by Clint Eastwood. He said it was "intimidating as hell" because of Clint's demeanor...not because he was barking commands but because he's kind of cool about everything. Hanks was saying that most directors would shout "action" but Clint would just calmly say "Okay, go ahead." Or when most directors would scream "Cut!", Clint would (also calmly) say, "Okay, that's enough of that." :LOL:

It's funny to me that Hanks was intimidated by Clint, it's funny and totally imaginable that Clint would direct people in that manner yet still be intimidating. Mind you this is Tom Hanks and not some young kid fresh out of acting school. :LOL:

On the DVD commentary for Mystic River, Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon were also talking about Clint's style. They didn't mention being intimidated but they said many of the same things Hanks was going on about.

• Like 1

I think you might like this...

Recently I read this interview with Hanks and he was talking about being directed by Clint Eastwood. He said it was "intimidating as hell" because of Clint's demeanor...not because he was barking commands but because he's kind of cool about everything. Hanks was saying that most directors would shout "action" but Clint would just calmly say "Okay, go ahead." Or when most directors would scream "Cut!", Clint would (also calmly) say, "Okay, that's enough of that." :LOL:

It's funny to me that Hanks was intimidated by Clint, it's funny and totally imaginable that Clint would direct people in that manner yet still be intimidating. Mind you this is Tom Hanks and not some young kid fresh out of acting school. :LOL:

On the DVD commentary for Mystic River, Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon were also talking about Clint's style. They didn't mention being intimidated but they said many of the same things Hanks was going on about.

Clint is THE MAN in reality the same as he is in the films. :goodone:

• Like 1

I really liked Daniel day Lewis in Last of the Mohicans and Lincoln. He's a great actor but I don't think he's done as much as he could be doing.

I'd rather have DDL who's great but not in too many movies than an actor who's not that good or worse and is all over the damn place. [see also: Johnny Depp & Will Smith]

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

When Denzel acts in a movie, I'm watching Denzel act, I enjoy it but it's always Denzel. Same with Hanks and Neeson. Their acting styles change very little from one film to another. However, when I watch DDL act in a movie I am witnessing an amazing character brought to life as he did with Daniel Plainview and Lincoln. He embodied Lincoln, no one comes close to his talent. The fact that he's only made a few movies doesn't change my mind a bit. I actually get tired of the big actors pumping out two movies a year.
  • Like 1

When Denzel acts in a movie, I'm watching Denzel act, I enjoy it but it's always Denzel. Same with Hanks and Neeson. Their acting styles change very little from one film to another. However, when I watch DDL act in a movie I am witnessing an amazing character brought to life as he did with Daniel Plainview and Lincoln. He embodied Lincoln, no one comes close to his talent. The fact that he's only made a few movies doesn't change my mind a bit. I actually get tired of the big actors pumping out two movies a year.

I'm not sure if Denzel could pass as Lincoln. :P

• Like 1