Rush tracks clash: Necromancer VS Red Barchetta?

Texas King

Rush tracks clash: Necromancer VS Red Barchetta?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Necromancer or Red Barchetta?

Red Barchetta.

One of those perfect Rush songs. It shows a band that is sure of themselves and at the top of their songwriting craft.

Necromancer is good but it's shows a band that's a bit confused and not really knowing what they want to do.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 4

Red Barchetta is a great song, but in The Necromancer, we are talking about one of my all time favorite songs - ever

I love the song, I love how the band is meandering and sort of in this haze of experimentation

And I love the narration

• Like 4

I always find Red Barchetta an overpraised Rush song, though I like it.

I might say the same thing about Necromancer.

Necromancer is not popular Rush song at all among general rock public(I don't mean Rush fans) and it's not a radio-type tune. Red Barchetta IS.

So can you explain me then how is Necromancer overpraised, when the A-side of Moving Pictures is so overused and popular among masses of rock fans, who don't have to be big Rush fans?

Edited by Texas King

Necromancer is not popular Rush song at all among general rock public(I don't mean Rush fans) and it's not a radio-type tune. Red Barchetta IS.

So can you explain me then how is Necromancer overpraised, when the A-side of Moving Pictures is so overused and popular among masses of rock fans, who don't have to be big Rush fans?

I'm talking about in the TRF universe. In TRF Land I think it's overpraised. I still think it's an excellent song...but I think Barchetta is more excellent.

I've never heard Red Barchetta played on the radio in this country.

I haven't heard Red Barchetta on the radio in my home country since the 90s.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Red Barchetta was my brother's favorite song on Pictures. I never liked how he sings the opening lines. As it builds it gets better and better, but for me it's still probably my least favorite track on Pictures.

Necromancer, even with the narration (which I find stylistically dated and a bit too much) just shreds instrumentally. When it hits it hits so hard, so this was an easy choice for me.

• Like 3

I do like Necromancer quite a lot, but against Barchetta, it doesn't stand a chance. And IMO, the latter is not overpraised. Sometimes the more popular song truly is the better song. Edited by TexMike
  • Like 1

Two good ones, I'm picking the underdog Necromancer. Eerie, creative, experimental. Song of youth

Plus Willowdale and By Tor references, yeah!

I find it very ridiculous when anyone claims a song is "overplayed" or "overused". That's because it's a great song!!! Lordy...

• Like 1

Bit of an unfair choice really -

Necromancer - one of the longer, fantasy themed works that Rush do so well ...... however this is not one of their best ones

Red Barchetta - a tight, well structured, radio friendly song that again, Rush do so well ...... this is one of their best of this style

Therefore Red Barchetta for me!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1