A (hopefully thought provoking) time traveler scenario

Relayer2112

Imagine that you live in the distant future where, after hundreds of years of nothing but computer generated sounds, the art of human music composition and recording has been lost. You are part of a group that has been tasked with travelling back in time to recover this lost art. Luckily, you personally are slated to recover the art of rock music composition and recording pre 2017. You can attend six recording sessions from that time period before being forced to return to the present. What six recording sessions do you visit and why? Because this is TRF, three of those recording sessions must be for Rush albums.

Here's are the sessions I would visit...

Rush

2112 - I would love to experience the point at which the band decided "F**K it all, we're going to write the music we want to write". There had to be some uneasiness during those sessions as the band didn't know what the future held. I can imagine Ray Danniels visits to the studio asking what commercially viable material the band had come up with.

Permanent Waves - Based on Neil's session diary in the tour book, it sounded like they had one hell of a good time at Le Studio while writing/recording this one. Perhaps I could even suggest to the band that they could get some sounds for Natural Science by using oars down at the lake.

Signals - There had to be some interesting moments during the sessions for this album. Not my favorite, but this was Rush reinventing themselves and, in the process, determining that Broon wasn't necessarily in their plans from here on out. Another visit to Le Studio would be the icing on the cake.

Honorable mention - Vapor Trails - I'd try to talk them out of it.

Non-Rush

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper - I certainly would want to experience the genius of Lennon and McCartney at a period when they were still (sort of) getting along. A band that has been released from the shackles of live performance to record an album that would be highly influential throughout the remainder of rock music. Experiencing George Martin work his craft would be a bonus also.

Pink Floyd - DSOTM - Proof that thought provoking music can also be hugely successful commercially. There was definitely magic that went on during these sessions that I would love to have been a part of. Also, I'd want to know if all the stories are true of Pink Floyd sessions being completely miserable for the members of the band.

Queen - A Night at the Opera - The creation of sounds that had never been heard before in rock music (but had been hinted at by the Beatles years before). I would love to see how they pulled it off.

• Like 2

Very interesting question:

Non Rush:

- Les Paul and any of his earliest recordings .. The birth and infancy of the art of recording

- KISS "Destroyer" .. The band went in on the verge of bankruptcy and Bill Aucoin secured Bob Ezrin with promise of a personal credit card payment .. A few weeks into the sessions, ALIVE! broke and everything changed .. Ezrin brought in orchestration, choirs, calliopes, miked up his kids, and literally, recorded the kitchen sink ( dishes in the intro to Detroit Rock City )

- YES "Close To The Edge" .. This was a tough choice between Yes and Hendrix, but even now, 40 some years later, Close To The Edge is this mind boggling collection of some of the greatest music ever recorded .... I cannot even imagine the creative electricity in that studio with each member bringing his own genius ..

RUSH:

- Caress Of Steel ... a band full of the desire to grow, and some of my favorites Rush moments .. Great creative vibe happening, and, I would try my best to convince them that if they put that song called Garden Road on instead of Bald, they would have the best album side of their career ..

- Permanent Waves .. Sir Gawain transforms to Natural Science - it would be fascinating to see how that happened .. At what point was "Oh f**k it, this isn't happening" said, and, who said it first ?? .... Would also love to see the way Alex experimented with his sounds, esp in getting The Spirit intro riff .. Similar to Caress, a transformative time for the band ..

- A Farewell To Kings .... To see how one of the greatest pieces of music came together, with the narration and intro, and then getting the performances down on tape - esp Geddy's final lines every nerve is torn apart .... The band and Terry Brown were at their best

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

Very interesting question:

Non Rush:

- Les Paul and any of his earliest recordings .. The birth and infancy of the art of recording

- KISS "Destroyer" .. The band went in on the verge of bankruptcy and Bill Aucoin secured Bob Ezrin with promise of a personal credit card payment .. A few weeks into the sessions, ALIVE! broke and everything changed .. Ezrin brought in orchestration, choirs, calliopes, miked up his kids, and literally, recorded the kitchen sink ( dishes in the intro to Detroit Rock City )

- YES "Close To The Edge" .. This was a tough choice between Yes and Hendrix, but even now, 40 some years later, Close To The Edge is this mind boggling collection of some of the greatest music ever recorded .... I cannot even imagine the creative electricity in that studio with each member bringing his own genius ..

RUSH:

- Caress Of Steel ... a band full of the desire to grow, and some of my favorites Rush moments .. Great creative vibe happening, and, I would try my best to convince them that if they put that song called Garden Road on instead of Bald, they would have the best album side of their career ..

- Permanent Waves .. Sir Gawain transforms to Natural Science - it would be fascinating to see how that happened .. At what point was "Oh f**k it, this isn't happening" said, and, who said it first ?? .... Would also love to see the way Alex experimented with his sounds, esp in getting The Spirit intro riff .. Similar to Caress, a transformative time for the band ..

- A Farewell To Kings .... To see how one of the greatest pieces of music came together, with the narration and intro, and then getting the performances down on tape - esp Geddy's final lines every nerve is torn apart .... The band and Terry Brown were at their best

I love your suggestions. I agree that all eras/genres of rock and roll should be represented. I would never have even thought of KISS, but it certainly makes sense. I love CTTE also, this is one of the first examples of symphonic rock that I can think of.

As far as the Rush stuff...Caress of Steel is certainly an interesting choice. They were obviously highly energized/inventive when they recorded it. The thing that would be interesting about Farewell to Kings was how they resisted the temptation to just record another side long song again to try and duplicate 2112's success. Hearing them stumble upon the riff to Closer to the Heart would be awesome also.