Joy Division or The Smiths?

Texas King

Joy Division or The Smiths?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Joy Division or The Smiths?

The Smiths by a wide margin.....Morriseys tongue in cheek yet strangely life affirming lyrics coupled with Johnny Marrs sensational guitar work make them the clear winners.
  • Like 1

There should be a "most depressing band/musician" poll.

Joy Division, Syd Barrett, late 70s-early 80s Pink Floyd/Roger Waters, and Billie Holiday all immediately leap to mind.

And Men Without Hats. They sadden me due to having nothing to cover their heads with. :(

• Like 1

The Fall

"I drank a jar of coffee, then I took some of these, and now I'm totally wired. Can't you see?

You don't have to be weird to be wired. You don't have to be weird to be weird."

Mark E Smith, hip priest, drunk prick.

• Like 1

And Men Without Hats. They sadden me due to having nothing to cover their heads with. :(

:LOL:

Ahh, vaportrailer...you are a witty one.

The Smiths get my vote in this one. I like Joy Division, from what I know, but that's only a few songs. And those few songs fairly well pale in comparison to all that The Smiths did. They were incredible!

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of either group but they're both good bands. interesting change-up though from tesla vs white lion, etc

it seems like I'd pick joy division but I like the first smiths and the queen is dead more. morrissey's voice isn't really my thing but I like marr's guitar

Joy division easily, and that's not to undervalue The smiths, I love Mozzas lyrics and the music, The queen is dead is classic.BUT.

Joy division wrote music that no one touches, they don't even come close, that probably a good think for many:)

The Smiths, I can think of a few bands with this take and come close.

Joy division, Ian Curtis wrote lyrics that blow my mind, there really is no one, no one, who summed up humanity in a personal yet esoteric and universal way.

Devastatingly honest if you grasp understanding the lrics, that many understandably see as depressing, a bitter pill to swallow.

Others may see bands that are similar the same, not for me, Ian Curtis's lyrics were unique, especially in the way it was presented.

Its brutal, beautiful music and lyrics, and for me very life affirming, it certainly touches from a distance. I could write on all day about jd :zzz: :)

'Committed still, I turn to go'.

To think this was all done by the age of 23

Joy division were a different band live to the studio, as Hooky said 'we wanted to play live to rip peoples heads off'

• Like 1

The Smiths by a wide margin.....Morriseys tongue in cheek yet strangely life affirming lyrics coupled with Johnny Marrs sensational guitar work make them the clear winners.

I find Joy divisions lyrics life affirming, very reassuring. The Smiths lyrics, that are brilliant and I love dearly, are life distracting for me - hugely entertaining.