• ★★★☆☆
    • ★★★★☆
    • ★★★★★

5. My favorite album of all time.

Favorite track: Hemispheres

Ditto, ditto and ditto :cheers:
  • Like 1

Well, if we average out all the songs…

Cygnus X-1, Book II: Hemispheres: 2.7 (out of 10)

Circumstances: 8.5

The Trees: 9.6

La Villa Strangiato: 10.0

…we get 7.7. So, 4 stars it is.

And, yeah, I hate the title track. Prelude is good; that's about it.

• Like 3

Why not rate each song using the 5 star scale instead of 1-10 THEN converting the score?

• Like 1

5, because I have no excuse to give it less, but for me it lacks soul, and that's why it falls closer to the middle of my Rush rankings.

Why not rate each song using the 5 star scale instead of 1-10 THEN converting the score?

I feel that a five-point scale is very limiting when it comes to rating music. A one-hundred-point system is more precise and can allow for tiny deviations depending on my particular mood (as musical enjoyment is affected by this). Also, it allows for clear distinction as to which song, if given multiple to rare, I prefer. For example, I think Presto (the song) is an 8.3 or so out of 10, and The Stars Look Down is about a 7.5, but going on a five-star system, they would both receive four songs. But I like Presto significantly more than I like TSLD. A five-star system can't show that.

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 2

I feel that a five-point scale is very limiting when it comes to rating music. A one-hundred-point system is more precise and can allow for tiny deviations depending on my particular mood (as musical enjoyment is affected by this). Also, it allows for clear distinction as to which song, if given multiple to rare, I prefer. For example, I think Presto (the song) is an 8.3 or so out of 10, and The Stars Look Down is about a 7.5, but going on a five-star system, they would both receive four songs. But I like Presto significantly more than I like TSLD. A five-star system can't show that.

That makes sense. :yes:

But I kind of like the challenge of forcing myself to giving something a full point/star. Same with a 7.7 average. I might not be so generous to give it 4 stars since it really isn't. :blaze:

That makes sense. :yes:

But I kind of like the challenge of forcing myself to giving something a full point/star. Same with a 7.7 average. I might not be so generous to give it 4 stars since it really isn't. :blaze:

I use a pop-cultural-idol sliding system.

Side 2 of Hemispheres gets a Jean-Claude Van Damme, a Ted Knight, and a Bob Newhart.

Side 1 gets an Anson Williams.

Signals gets a Gavin McLeod, while Grace Under Pressure is deserving of a Maclean Stevenson.

Moving Pictures is a total Natalie Wood, and Permanent Waves is a double Caroline Munro.

Presto, being polarizing and lopsided, gets half-a-Beiber.

Science!

• Like 2

Cygnus X-1, Book II, Hemispheres - gets a 3 star ranking from me. Song is ok but nothing special, just decent, fine, run of the mill, acceptable, adequate stuff. Not bad, just not special.

Circumstances - A very strong 4 stars. Might be 5 stars depending on my mood. Tonight I am not in a generous mood so it gets 4.

The Trees - 4 stars.

La Villa - 5 stars.

The problem the album has is that fully half of it is just decent, ok, acceptable, adequate filler material.

So, overall, its a solid 3 star album. Not bad. Just nothing special overall.

Who voted for **?

Just click where it says "1 votes [3.23%] - View"

I gave it 3. I really like side 2 (except for the Trees lyrics). Side 1 not so much. Bad lyrics in spots and over-ambitious/repetitive. The prelude or part 1 or whatever it's called is good, but then things get a bit same-y and laboured. I know it's a fan fave, just not for this fan.

Obk2FiZ.png