Jump to content


Jack Nicholson vs Robert De Niro


  • Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: Jack vs Bobby (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you prefer?

  1. Jack Nicholson (11 votes [40.74%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 40.74%

  2. Robert De Niro (16 votes [59.26%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 59.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 78166 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

Looking over each actor's filmography I reached the personal conclusion that Nicholson portrayed more sympathetic characters.
So your criteria for whether someone is a good actor or not is whether they play bad guys or good guys? :16ton:
No. DeNiro played more caricature. I simply felt more empathy for Nicholson characters.
There's plenty of caricature in Jack's work, for example: his Jack Torrance, his Billy Buddusky, his Randle McMurphy, his Henry Lloyd Moon, his Frank Chambers, his Jimmy Hoffa,  his Garrett Breedlove, his Will Randle, his Warren R. Schmidt and especially his Darryl Van Horn, his Joker and his Colonel Jessup.

Sponsored Post

#22 ReRushed

ReRushed

    My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

  • Members
  • 17498 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York, NY

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

Looking over each actor's filmography I reached the personal conclusion that Nicholson portrayed more sympathetic characters.
So your criteria for whether someone is a good actor or not is whether they play bad guys or good guys? :16ton:
No. DeNiro played more caricature. I simply felt more empathy for Nicholson characters.
There's plenty of caricature in Jack's work, for example: his Jack Torrance, his Billy Buddusky, his Randle McMurphy, his Henry Lloyd Moon, his Frank Chambers, his Jimmy Hoffa,  his Garrett Breedlove, his Will Randle, his Warren R. Schmidt and especially his Darryl Van Horn, his Joker and his Colonel Jessup.
I guess caricature is the wrong word. I think Nicholson played characters I find more sympathetic.

#23 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 78166 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

Looking over each actor's filmography I reached the personal conclusion that Nicholson portrayed more sympathetic characters.
So your criteria for whether someone is a good actor or not is whether they play bad guys or good guys? :16ton:
No. DeNiro played more caricature. I simply felt more empathy for Nicholson characters.
There's plenty of caricature in Jack's work, for example: his Jack Torrance, his Billy Buddusky, his Randle McMurphy, his Henry Lloyd Moon, his Frank Chambers, his Jimmy Hoffa,  his Garrett Breedlove, his Will Randle, his Warren R. Schmidt and especially his Darryl Van Horn, his Joker and his Colonel Jessup.
I guess caricature is the wrong word. I think Nicholson played characters I find more sympathetic.
You find Jack, in his work, is a warmer personality?

#24 ReRushed

ReRushed

    My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

  • Members
  • 17498 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York, NY

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

Looking over each actor's filmography I reached the personal conclusion that Nicholson portrayed more sympathetic characters.
So your criteria for whether someone is a good actor or not is whether they play bad guys or good guys? :16ton:
No. DeNiro played more caricature. I simply felt more empathy for Nicholson characters.
There's plenty of caricature in Jack's work, for example: his Jack Torrance, his Billy Buddusky, his Randle McMurphy, his Henry Lloyd Moon, his Frank Chambers, his Jimmy Hoffa,  his Garrett Breedlove, his Will Randle, his Warren R. Schmidt and especially his Darryl Van Horn, his Joker and his Colonel Jessup.
I guess caricature is the wrong word. I think Nicholson played characters I find more sympathetic.
You find Jack, in his work, is a warmer personality?
Does sympathetic imply a warmer personality?

#25 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 78166 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

Looking over each actor's filmography I reached the personal conclusion that Nicholson portrayed more sympathetic characters.
So your criteria for whether someone is a good actor or not is whether they play bad guys or good guys? :16ton:
No. DeNiro played more caricature. I simply felt more empathy for Nicholson characters.
There's plenty of caricature in Jack's work, for example: his Jack Torrance, his Billy Buddusky, his Randle McMurphy, his Henry Lloyd Moon, his Frank Chambers, his Jimmy Hoffa,  his Garrett Breedlove, his Will Randle, his Warren R. Schmidt and especially his Darryl Van Horn, his Joker and his Colonel Jessup.
I guess caricature is the wrong word. I think Nicholson played characters I find more sympathetic.
You find Jack, in his work, is a warmer personality?
Does sympathetic imply a warmer personality?
No to me sympathetic, when talking about film characters, implies being benign.

Edited by treeduck, 09 January 2017 - 03:46 PM.


#26 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's Itâ„¢ Sig

  • Members
  • 14964 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

To me jack played more assholes like Jessup and the character in as good as it gets.  I had more connection with Vito and the guy from Heat than most Nicholson characters.  Not to mention ronin.

#27 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

    Creative Writing 101

  • Members
  • 10173 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

Bobby

#28 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

    Minister of Silly Walks

  • Members *
  • 58521 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

Love 'em both- slight nod to DeNiro.  Anyone else love Nicholson in About Schmidt?

Edited by lerxt1990, 09 January 2017 - 09:47 PM.


#29 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

    The Dad Abides

  • Members
  • 9960 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:33 PM

View Postlerxt1990, on 09 January 2017 - 09:46 PM, said:

Love 'em both- slight nod to DeNiro.  Anyone else love Nicholson in About Schmidt?

Playing against type. I thought that was an awesome flick.

#30 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

    The Dad Abides

  • Members
  • 9960 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 09 January 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

Looking over each actor's filmography I reached the personal conclusion that Nicholson portrayed more sympathetic characters.
So your criteria for whether someone is a good actor or not is whether they play bad guys or good guys? :16ton:
No. DeNiro played more caricature. I simply felt more empathy for Nicholson characters.
There's plenty of caricature in Jack's work, for example: his Jack Torrance, his Billy Buddusky, his Randle McMurphy, his Henry Lloyd Moon, his Frank Chambers, his Jimmy Hoffa,  his Garrett Breedlove, his Will Randle, his Warren R. Schmidt and especially his Darryl Van Horn, his Joker and his Colonel Jessup.
I guess caricature is the wrong word. I think Nicholson played characters I find more sympathetic.
You find Jack, in his work, is a warmer personality?
Does sympathetic imply a warmer personality?
No to me sympathetic, when talking about film characters, implies being benign.

Yeah DeNiro has made a career of not playing very sympathetic characters but giving them an extraordinary humanity.

#31 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 20027 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

I would rather watch Jack Nicholson on the screen. I have much preferred his movies over the years.

#32 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 78166 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 09 January 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

I would rather watch Jack Nicholson on the screen. I have much preferred his movies over the years.
That's because you love the gleam in his eyes and his crazy grin. ;)

#33 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 20027 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:47 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 09 January 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

I would rather watch Jack Nicholson on the screen. I have much preferred his movies over the years.
That's because you love the gleam in his eyes and his crazy grin. ;)

Yeah. That's it.  

;)

#34 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

    Minister of Silly Walks

  • Members *
  • 58521 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:47 PM

Posted Image

#35 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 7811 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

Tough call ..

Five Easy Pieces, Cuckoo's Nest, The Shining and The Passenger all come to mind with Jack, but DeNiro in Taxi Driver and Mean Streets are two roles that made those movies absolute classics in my book .... and then there's The Deer Hunter

DeNiro by a slight margin

Edited by Lucas, 09 January 2017 - 10:58 PM.


#36 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 78166 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

View PostLucas, on 09 January 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

Tough call ..

Five Easy Pieces, Cuckoo's Nest, The Shining and The Passenger all come to mind with Jack, but DeNiro in Taxi Driver and Mean Streets are two roles that made those movies absolute classics in my book .... and then there's The Deer Hunter

DeNiro by a slight margin
I was about to post a girly pic here Lucas but what you said in the other thread has completely cured me of such behaviour. From now on you should be called Dr. Lucas. :smoke:

#37 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 7811 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 11:00 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 09 January 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

Tough call ..

Five Easy Pieces, Cuckoo's Nest, The Shining and The Passenger all come to mind with Jack, but DeNiro in Taxi Driver and Mean Streets are two roles that made those movies absolute classics in my book .... and then there's The Deer Hunter

DeNiro by a slight margin
I was about to post a girly pic here Lucas but what you said in the other thread has completely cured me of such behaviour. From now on you should be called Dr. Lucas. :smoke:

No more Dr Love ??

#38 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 78166 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:06 PM

View PostLucas, on 09 January 2017 - 11:05 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 09 January 2017 - 11:00 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 09 January 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

Tough call ..

Five Easy Pieces, Cuckoo's Nest, The Shining and The Passenger all come to mind with Jack, but DeNiro in Taxi Driver and Mean Streets are two roles that made those movies absolute classics in my book .... and then there's The Deer Hunter

DeNiro by a slight margin
I was about to post a girly pic here Lucas but what you said in the other thread has completely cured me of such behaviour. From now on you should be called Dr. Lucas. :smoke:

No more Dr Love ??
That's me! :oops:

#39 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 14996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:17 AM

DeNiro if we're talking old movies but Jack edges him because although both have their share of sellout movies, DeNiro's post 90s resume is mostly pathetic and embarrassing.

#40 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

    The Dad Abides

  • Members
  • 9960 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:06 AM

View Postinvisible airwave, on 10 January 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

DeNiro if we're talking old movies but Jack edges him because although both have their share of sellout movies, DeNiro's post 90s resume is mostly pathetic and embarrassing.

I really liked Analyze This but Analyze That sucked.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users