Most underrated bands!!!! "You Gotta Check These Guys Out, Guys!!!!"

Entre_Perpetuo

Don't care if it's been done before, we need more new threads that aren't polls. Take the time to explain why each band you add to your list is actually underrated in your opinion.
  • Like 2

While I think the term "genius" gets tossed around too easily, esp when it comes to musicians, guitarist Hizaki is one that I believe can be considered a modern musical genius ..

He can go into a studio on zero budget alone or with just a drummer, and he composes and plays every other instrument ..

He's also prolific, playing in both Jupiter and Versailles in addition to his epic instrumental albums ..

Nobody knows who he is, and if they do, they are usually put off by with he looks ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

BUDGIE, other than Never Turn Your Back on a Friend, they are basically never talked about. I think they are one of the greatest for the early 70s hard rock bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHPCtgmtS68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7mpqi4o2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpesqtm33N4

Edited by Bigbobby10
  • Like 7

Van der Graaf Generator. Their new album incredible. Like nothing I've ever heard before.

Supergrass was lost amongst the Britpop acts of the 90s but their music stands head and shoulders above all of them.

10cc had four musical geniuses and their 70's music is completely timeless.

• Like 7

I've said it before, but for me it has to be The Wildhearts.

Formed in Newcastle in the late 80s, they gradually developed a unique style of songwriting which fused punk, metal, pop, with irresistibly catchy hooks combined with enough twisting time changes to keep a diehard prog rocker happy...throw in some neat three part vocal harmonies and superior, sharply observed lyrics and you have a killer mix.

• Like 3

Van der Graaf Generator. Their new album incredible. Like nothing I've ever heard before.

Supergrass was lost amongst the Britpop acts of the 90s but their music stands head and shoulders above all of them.

10cc had four musical geniuses and their 70's music is completely timeless.

holy shit, look at all this agreeing

Supergrass is a great choice .. 10cc is fantastic and overlooked

• Like 1

Not sure these are all overlooked anymore, but they were at one time:

Death Angel in thrash.

The Coup in hiphop

Death (the Detroit proto-punks, not the metal)

The Adverts in early punk

Nektar in prog.

The Monochrome Set in new wave

Men At Work/Colin Hay (because Hay can write very very good pop songs full of clever lyrics. His solo career is so good.)

Deus Ex Machina (Can't be underrated because they aren't known- a Singapore metal band that put out a scifi story album I loved 'I, Human'.)

Admiral James T. (Long career in Switzerland, unknown elsewhere. Simply brilliant and prolific rock and roller.)

Alchemist (metal from Australia that I'd think heavy prog fans would love)

Cranberries in pop-rock. Highly successful I suppose, but I love their pop writing.

Natalie Merchant From punkish folk as a kid through folk rock and into the brilliant children's album she made a couple years back, great artist.

The Electric Prunes in garage

Rose Tattoo unless you're Australian

Midnight Oil unless you're Australian

Laibach because they're not underrated so much as chronically misunderstood.

Tom T. Hall by rock fans who like Cash and Waylon and Willie but don't know anyone else in country.

Split Enz because more people need to know what kind of music they made before New Wave existed. Amazing band in the early-mid seventies.

• Like 4

Holy sh*t mate! Alchemist were phenomenal.

I have the album Lunasphere somewhere in my collection. I used to go see them play at the local youth centre 20 years ago.

So good I still remember them.

• Like 1

Holy sh*t mate! Alchemist were phenomenal.

I have the album Lunasphere somewhere in my collection. I used to go see them play at the local youth centre 20 years ago.

So good I still remember them.

I discovered them when I decided to google science fiction + metal. I look for new music by putting in combinations of ideas plus genre sometimes, or country + genre.

Alchemist was highly recommended on some site.

Totally blew my mind. Incredible band.

Don't care if it's been done before, we need more new threads that aren't polls. Take the time to explain why each band you add to your list is actually underrated in your opinion.

THE OUTFIELD!!!!!

Another trio that kicks underrated ass. Some of their songs remind me of Synth Rush.

"Play Deep" is a masterpiece.

• Like 3

Totally blew my mind. Incredible band.

Saw Alchemist live in 20's so many times. Always the best band of the night.

Small stage and so close you could touch them (if you wanted to lol).

They would play through Lunasphere - it was like being transported to another mind-dimension.

IMO still the best heavy prog I have heard.

• Like 1

THE OUTFIELD!!!!!

Another trio that kicks underrated ass. Some of their songs remind me of Synth Rush.

"Play Deep" is a masterpiece.

Jooooosiiieeeeeeessss on a vaaaaacation faaaaarrr aaaaaaaaway....

I just realized that song was about cheating. Oh me.

• Like 2

I was going to put them also, but I haven't listened to their new album, didn't even know they made on, need to give it a try.

Yes. Its blooody brilliant. Interested to see how its going to translate live.

• Like 1

Not sure these are all overlooked anymore, but they were at one time:

Rose Tattoo unless you're Australian

Midnight Oil unless you're Australian

Cold Chisel, unless you're Australian.

:wub:

• Like 2

UFO, Budgie, Goddo
  • Like 2