Michael Schenker vs Uli Jon Roth vs Matthias Jabs vs Yngwie Malmsteen vs John Norum?

treeduck

Which of these guitar players do you prefer? Who's best in your eyes?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like best?

• Michael Schenker
    • Yngwie Malmsteen
    • Uli Jon Roth
    • Matthias Jabs
    • Jon Norum

This would be difficult if Michael Schenker were not my all time favorite guitarist

And he's the only one on that list who can bring tears to the eyes with a few notes .. Uli and Yngwie both have some absolutely incredible songs ... Matthias was great for the 80s version of the Scorps, even though I wish Schenker had stayed in the band ..

John Norum is a great player, but I never really liked any of the actual music he was involved with

• Like 2

This would be difficult if Michael Schenker were not my all time favorite guitarist

And he's the only one on that list who can bring tears to the eyes with a few notes .. Uli and Yngwie both have some absolutely incredible songs ... Matthias was great for the 80s version of the Scorps, even though I wish Schenker had stayed in the band ..

John Norum is a great player, but I never really liked any of the actual music he was involved with

A good answer. :hail:

• Like 1

With this poll I put these guitar players together because they either used to be the same band, or were followers of one of the others of one kind or another or have a similar approach to playing.
  • Like 1

Michael Jon Roth

Really hard to decide between Schenker and Uli. Love them for ages. :codger:

For a minute I was thinking...is that his secret real name??? :LOL:

:LOL:

pissed? or :smoke:

Schenker's chops have gotten better over time .. The ease at which he launches into this is sick .. The guy is amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj1e8Ll1pBI

You would have to insert Kirk Hammett into the thread wouldn't you!

Imagine if Shakespeare had called his play Hammett??

Alas poor Ulrich I knew him Hetfield... :blaze:

• Like 1

Schenker's chops have gotten better over time .. The ease at which he launches into this is sick .. The guy is amazing

That Kirk "riff progression" sounds a lot like a rip-off of Natural Thing to me... just sayin'

• Like 2

That Kirk "riff progression" sounds a lot like a rip-off of Natural Thing to me... just sayin'

definitely

and I think Michael thought the same thing as he sort of smiles and looks off like "Is anyone hearing what I'm hearing ?"

• Like 1

definitely

and I think Michael thought the same thing as he sort of smiles and looks off like "Is anyone hearing what I'm hearing ?"

Kirk gave a point of attack...to the mad axeman. :guitar:

Schenker is a Viech.

Matthias was a big reason that I wanted to learn how to play the guitar back in the early 80's. I kind of got away from him once my musical tastes matured (and Scorpions started to get more mainstream), but I still appreciate what he's done over the years.

He also gets my vote for "biggest influence who's name I have no idea how to pronounce".

• Like 3

Hahaha dude I'm sitting here trying to think of which UFO song he's basically playing. Glad someone else heard it too!

• Like 2

Michael Schenker for me too.

His soloing in the 70s kind of represented everything good about great Hard Rock they way the built to a crescendo cranking up the speed yet staying emotive and avoiding overkill.

I saw Uli Jon Roth live with the Scorpions and some of their 70s albums with him are massively underrated and are amongst my favourites from that era and so I never gave Jabs a fair go in the same way I never gave Tonka Chapman a fair go in UFO.

John Norum? I've heard The Final Countdown and that is it and Yngwie is unlistenable.

• Like 3

Michael Schenker for me too.

His soloing in the 70s kind of represented everything good about great Hard Rock they way the built to a crescendo cranking up the speed yet staying emotive and avoiding overkill.

I saw Uli Jon Roth live with the Scorpions and some of their 70s albums with him are massively underrated and are amongst my favourites from that era and so I never gave Jabs a fair go in the same way I never gave Tonka Chapman a fair go in UFO.

John Norum? I've heard The Final Countdown and that is it and Yngwie is unlistenable.

Early Yngwie is good.

• Like 2