Roku or Amazon Fire?

ReRushed

I have no idea what these things are.

What do you mean cutting the cord in this instance?

Cable television, hence cutting the cable cord. Cable television in the U.S. is a rip off. Roku and Amazon Fire are streaming devices for watching television.

I have an Amazon Fire TV Box and a Fire Stick.

You can side load Kodi and others on them and some people use Kodi to access streams of Live Sport, movies and TV shows. Me? Would I do that, with my reputation?

• Like 2

I have no idea what these things are.

What do you mean cutting the cord in this instance?

Cable television, hence cutting the cable cord. Cable television in the U.S. is a rip off. Roku and Amazon Fire are streaming devices for watching television.

Oh right. I just stream off the internet if I want to see something.

I've heard good things about the Amazon Fire Stick. My blu-Ray player comes with a lot of things already installed but if there were something it didn't have I'd go that route.

What I'm wondering about is Sling. Has anyone tried it?

I've heard good things about the Amazon Fire Stick. My blu-Ray player comes with a lot of things already installed but if there were something it didn't have I'd go that route.

I'm definitely going to give Sling a shot. Most of the channel I enjoy are available on Sling.

• Like 1

You can side load Kodi and others on them and some people use Kodi to access streams of Live Sport, movies and TV shows. Me? Would I do that, with my reputation?

;) ;)

My sister bought a "jailbroken" Firestick with KODI on it down in Florida and she loves it. She apparently can search for live streams of all kinds of stuff. Not having her "contacts" (guy on the beach, lol ) we just bought the new 2nd generation voice activated Firestick. We broke down and got Netflix and it gives us tons of stuff to watch. We would get even more (all the shows of A + E, Food Channel, History, etc etc. because we have those cable channels) but we have Comcast and they are not compatible with the Firestick device; they want you to pay for their Xfinity streaming.

I would love to just have Sling, I know it would be a savings, but Mr. blues is a great guy and sports is pretty much his only hobby so we keep cable for the live sports channels. Sling does not offer ROOT, which shows all the Pirate and Penguin games. I keep getting emails from DirectTV for this $35.00 a month streaming thing they are going to start brand new and offer. The thing is , it doesn't have ROOT . DirectTV owns ROOT, though, so how long before they add it on? If I knew, I would sign up for that.

Anyway, I digress. My sister has a Roku as well and there seems to be a bit more signing in when she goes to use it. We LOVE the voice activated Firestick, its really easy, as is the searching. And it's the Alexa system so you can ask it weird questions when it's up. And if you have Amazon Prime, you can play and watch everything in the Prime library. And it would save us money except for the ROOT sports thing. I think it depends on what you mainly view.

Edited by blueschica

And actually for anyone that would be interested, I just found videos on You Tube that show how to side load KODI on to the new Firestick. Interesting!

What is KODI exactly? Like Roku?

And actually for anyone that would be interested, I just found videos on You Tube that show how to side load KODI on to the new Firestick. Interesting!

I got myself a firestick for Christmas. My brother came over and showed me the youtube video. In about 45 minutes, I was good to go. Seemed pretty easy to do so.

• Like 1

I haven't used it myself. From what my sister says, it is an app. You open it on your firestick (or I guess it could be on a laptop or something) and it lists what streams of programming are going at that time, like names of movies and events and stuff. You can select what stream you want to watch and click on it. Sounds a bit like Periscope maybe?

She says it's a little bit hit or miss, like you can click on a movie that you want to see streaming and the picture, etc. is perfect but it is like from a French streaming service so it has French subtitles through the whole movie. Or some of the very new movie titles that say ' live stream' are similar to Periscope with someone live streaming it from a movie theater with a hand held camera. :D (she said avoid those!) So, I'm not sure overall; maybe someone else knows a little more! :)

I haven't used it myself. From what my sister says, it is an app. You open it on your firestick (or I guess it could be on a laptop or something) and it lists what streams of programming are going at that time, like names of movies and events and stuff. You can select what stream you want to watch and click on it. Sounds a bit like Periscope maybe?

She says it's a little bit hit or miss, like you can click on a movie that you want to see streaming and the picture, etc. is perfect but it is like from a French streaming service so it has French subtitles through the whole movie. Or some of the very new movie titles that say ' live stream' are similar to Periscope with someone live streaming it from a movie theater with a hand held camera. :D (she said avoid those!) So, I'm not sure overall; maybe someone else knows a little more! :)

If it's at all like periscope, 99% of the streaming content wouldn't be anything worth watching.

If it's at all like periscope, 99% of the streaming content wouldn't be anything worth watching.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too! We avoided getting Netflix forever because I hate extra charges but it has tons of stuff on it, I think we will be good with just that.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too! We avoided getting Netflix forever because I hate extra charges but it has tons of stuff on it, I think we will be good with just that.

I had Netflix only for a long time. I never had any trouble finding stuff to watch. It's great especially if you like to binge watch TV series'.

• Like 2

I have a Roku and use Sling and so far, with the exception of live sports, it's been great. The issue that arose with live sports is, even with up to 25 Mbps of internet download speed, the picture would sometimes freeze or the quality would change (I had it set on "Best" but when I dropped it down one notch the picture stayed on but the quality was worse by a little).

Between the HD antenna and SlingTV we get all the channels we want for about $80 less a month than the Direct TV I had. I might add Hulu so I can watch later, shows that are on if I'm out.

• Like 2

This.

The Fire Box is a neat little device. You can do a lot of interesting things with it if you're techy. If you go with Fire, I'd reccomend going with the Box instead of the Stick. The hardware is a good deal more capable.

This.

The Fire Box is a neat little device. You can do a lot of interesting things with it if you're techy. If you go with Fire, I'd reccomend going with the Box instead of the Stick. The hardware is a good deal more capable.

Side load Kodi from your PC or MAC, add a few repositories and you've got limitless access to live sports, movies and TV.

https://seo-michael.co.uk

• Like 1

Started with a firestick, side loaded Kodi onto it and it worked fine. Moved on from that to get an Android box with Kodi.

The website Tony R posted above is where I got all the info I needed for add-ons.

Started with a firestick, side loaded Kodi onto it and it worked fine. Moved on from that to get an Android box with Kodi.

The website Tony R posted above is where I got all the info I needed for add-ons.

I have Amazon Fire box.

People have unrealistic expectations of Firestick and Roku. They are not going to be able to stream perfectly all the time because the technology inside them is limited by size. Also quite often people's own wifi can be the issue.

I use ADB to side load Kodi etc to the box (but download the repositories directly on to the box/stick.)

It is as simply a case of getting the IP address from the settings.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 1

We have a Fire Tv Box (not stick), and it's a pretty amazing device. Used with an Amazon Prime membership is the way to go.

TRFers, I'm researching cutting the cord. What streaming device is recommended?

Google Chrome