Which Solo career is best - Dio´s or Ozzy´s?

Rod in Toronto

Dio vs Ozzy - compare their SOLO CAREERS!  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which SOLO career is your preferred - Dio´s or Ozzy´s?

Ok, so this is my first poll in TRF...while I think Ozzy revealed/promoted more interesting musicians (Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wilde, Trujillo etc.), I think Dio´s solo output is better. Here´s a list of their albums for the sake of comparison:

Dio: Holy Diver, The Last in Line, Sacred Heart, Dream Evil, Lock Up the Wolves, Stange Highways, Angry Machines, Magica, Killing the Dragon, Master of the Moon

Ozzy: Blizzard of Oz, Diary of a Madman, Bark at the Moon, Ultimate Sin, No Rest for the Wicked, No More Tears, Ozzmosis, Down to Earth, Black Rain, Scream

Notice I´ve omitted live albums and an Ozzy covers album, just to make things more even.

• Like 1

and even though you didnt ask, I'll take heaven and hell over blizzard. mob rules vs diary, a bit more difficult but sign of the southern cross and the title track give mob rules the edge
  • Like 2

Ozzy. First two solo albums are marvellous (as Dio's) and also Bark At The Moon, No More Tears and Ozzmosis are good works

Dio went downhill too early.

• Like 1

Interesting poll! I prefer Dio in Sabbath but solo it's Ozzy. I had the Blizzard record back in the early 80's and was hooked on it for quite a stretch. Shit like that leaves an impression!
  • Like 2

both go down the tubes after the 2nd album, but on the strength of the first two alone I side with dio

I agree that both had two stellar albums, and then it got dicey from there. I think Ozzy had a few more bright spots however, so he gets the nod from me.

As an aside, Blizzard and Diary are as a good as anything Ozzy released with Sabbath. Holy Diver and The Last in Line are not as good as Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules.

Ok I've thought about and I did it album by album. I called Holy Diver vs Blizzard a draw. After that though Ozzy won every one of the battles for the next 5 albums. And these 6 albums by each guy are the most important ones, so Ozzy wins by 5-0 margin on my scorecard. Dio is still the better singer and his stuff is great and he's a legend but he's lost this one.
  • Like 1

both go down the tubes after the 2nd album, but on the strength of the first two alone I side with dio

I agree that both had two stellar albums, and then it got dicey from there. I think Ozzy had a few more bright spots however, so he gets the nod from me.

As an aside, Blizzard and Diary are as a good as anything Ozzy released with Sabbath. Holy Diver and The Last in Line are not as good as Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules.

there are single songs from the first six sabbath records that eclipse the entire solo careers of both ozzy and dio for me. into the void, hand of doom, wheels of confusion... FX is better than ozzy's black rain album :)

but if this was a strictly 70s poll I would have to side with ozzy, against 99% of bands in existence

Ok, so this is my first poll in TRF...while I think Ozzy revealed/promoted more interesting musicians (Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wilde, Trujillo etc.), I think Dio´s solo output is better. Here´s a list of their albums for the sake of comparison:

Dio: Holy Diver, The Last in Line, Sacred Heart, Dream Evil, Lock Up the Wolves, Stange Highways, Angry Machines, Magica, Killing the Dragon, Master of the Moon

Ozzy: Blizzard of Oz, Diary of a Madman, Bark at the Moon, Ultimate Sin, No Rest for the Wicked, No More Tears, Ozzmosis, Down to Earth, Black Rain, Scream

Notice I´ve omitted live albums and an Ozzy covers album, just to make things more even.

Is this your first poll? I must have done thousands! :AlienSmiley:

Is this your first poll? I must have done thousands! :AlienSmiley:

You've probably done thousands today!

• Like 1

I LOVE YOU ROD!!!!!

This is one of the best polls I've ever read on here!!!!! HAPPY NEW BEER!!!!

For me the answer was tough. But then going over each album again in my head the answer is clear.

OZZY!!!!!!

Ozzy had better guitarists. I liked Vivian Campbell but he's just an arrogant asshole who plays in a fake glam shite band called DEAF LEPPARD! POKE MY EARDRUMS OUT WITH ICE PICKS!!!!!

Goldy is good.

Love Doug Aldrich. BUT..

OZZY RULES THIS ONE!

RANDY!

JAKE!

ZAKK!

VAI DID OSMOSIS FIRST!

• Like 2

We did this before...and someone in that thread said "Dio writes music, Ozzy has trouble writing his name." :)
  • Like 2

I LOVE YOU ROD!!!!!

This is one of the best polls I've ever read on here!!!!! HAPPY NEW BEER!!!!

For me the answer was tough. But then going over each album again in my head the answer is clear.

OZZY!!!!!!

Ozzy had better guitarists. I liked Vivian Campbell but he's just an arrogant asshole who plays in a fake glam shite band called DEAF LEPPARD! POKE MY EARDRUMS OUT WITH ICE PICKS!!!!!

Goldy is good.

Love Doug Aldrich. BUT..

OZZY RULES THIS ONE!

RANDY!

JAKE!

ZAKK!

VAI DID OSMOSIS FIRST!

Happy New Beer to you too, Earl!

Yeah, Ozzy´s profile is way more "out there", but I´m sticking with Dio on this one. He´s a MUSICIAN, while Ozzy hires people to write and play for him. He may have contributed to the first Sabbath albums, but aside from that, he was like a kid who only gets to play soccer because he owns the ball.

• Like 2

But we can't deny he chose better team mates than Dio:

Rhoads (Gillis), Aldridge, Sarzo and Airey

Lee, Appice (Aldridge), Daisley and Airey

Wylde, Castillo, Butler and Sinclair

even the band he had during the Scream tour was very powerful

• Like 2

But we can't deny he chose better team mates than Dio:

Rhoads (Gillis), Aldridge, Sarzo and Airey

Lee, Appice (Aldridge), Daisley and Airey

Wylde, Castillo, Butler and Sinclair

even the band he had during the Scream tour was very powerful