Which Solo career is best - Dio´s or Ozzy´s?

Rod in Toronto

Dio vs Ozzy - compare their SOLO CAREERS!  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which SOLO career is your preferred - Dio´s or Ozzy´s?

But we can't deny he chose better team mates than Dio:

Rhoads (Gillis), Aldridge, Sarzo and Airey

Lee, Appice (Aldridge), Daisley and Airey

Wylde, Castillo, Butler and Sinclair

even the band he had during the Scream tour was very powerful

We also can't deny that he was one of the greatest front men ever. It's easy to bash to Ozzy for what he became personally as time went on, and how bad his voice can be live now, but I saw him on the Diary, Bark and Speak of the Devil tours. Every show was awesome.

• Like 3

Dio. Probably because Ozzy's stuff has gotten so much more air play, it's become stale to me. Plus, Ozzy's later work got fairly cheesy.
  • Like 1

Ok, so this is my first poll in TRF...while I think Ozzy revealed/promoted more interesting musicians (Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wilde, Trujillo etc.), I think Dio´s solo output is better. Here´s a list of their albums for the sake of comparison:

Dio: Holy Diver, The Last in Line, Sacred Heart, Dream Evil, Lock Up the Wolves, Stange Highways, Angry Machines, Magica, Killing the Dragon, Master of the Moon

Ozzy: Blizzard of Oz, Diary of a Madman, Bark at the Moon, Ultimate Sin, No Rest for the Wicked, No More Tears, Ozzmosis, Down to Earth, Black Rain, Scream

Notice I´ve omitted live albums and an Ozzy covers album, just to make things more even.

I LOVE YOU ROD!!!!!

This is one of the best polls I've ever read on here!!!!! HAPPY NEW BEER!!!!

For me the answer was tough. But then going over each album again in my head the answer is clear.

OZZY!!!!!!

Ozzy had better guitarists. I liked Vivian Campbell but he's just an arrogant asshole who plays in a fake glam shite band called DEAF LEPPARD! POKE MY EARDRUMS OUT WITH ICE PICKS!!!!!

Goldy is good.

Love Doug Aldrich. BUT..

OZZY RULES THIS ONE!

RANDY!

JAKE!

ZAKK!

VAI DID OSMOSIS FIRST!

Happy New Beer to you too, Earl!

Yeah, Ozzy´s profile is way more "out there", but I´m sticking with Dio on this one. He´s a MUSICIAN, while Ozzy hires people to write and play for him. He may have contributed to the first Sabbath albums, but aside from that, he was like a kid who only gets to play soccer because he owns the ball.

Well stated my friend! I totally get it!!!!! I would choose Ronnie over OZZY any day as a writer and as a great man. BUT! I'm a drummer addicted to the guitar. I just listened to BLIZZARD. KILLER SHITE. Never gets old.

HEAVEN AND HELL

THE MOB RULES

ALL DIO RAINBOW

AND HOLY DIVER AND THE LAST IN LINE ARE EPIC MASTERPIECES!!!!!!

"SACRED HEART" lost me with the fuckking keyboards and the MTV bullshit but alas it is EXCELLENT!!!!!!

I'm a Jake E Lee fanatic!!!!!!!

Randy never should have been flying that fuckking plane.

Where would HEAVY METAL GUITAR be today if he was still alive??????

• Like 1

Dio. Probably because Ozzy's stuff has gotten so much more air play, it's become stale to me. Plus, Ozzy's later work got fairly cheesy.

I want to pull my hair out and SCREAM when I hear that shite.

BLACK RAIN was ok but still.... SHITE.

After ZAKK forget it.

I am dying for CBS to release the VAI version of Ozzmozis.

Sharon probably destroyed the fuckking master.

• Like 1

Never got to see Dio live but i did get to see Ozzy on the No Rest for the Wicked and No More Tears tours. He was an amazing front man with some great bands with him. That being said, Dio had the better voice - IMO based on both studio & live recordings. Not close.

Dio's first 3 albums (esp. the first 2) were great and the 4th was ok. Ozzy had 4 great albums and some good work on the next 2.

Interestingly, when I listen to their work with Sabbath, Ozzy has the best song (Iron Man) but Dio has by far the best album (Heaven & Hell). Heaven and Hell is way better than most Ozzy era Sabbath which I am not thrilled by (although Iron Man is better than any Dio era Sabbath).

So, even though Dio was the better singer, Ozzy gets overplayed and Dio,at his very best may have been better, overall I have to go with Ozzy for staying power and consistency. Want to vote for Dio but can't.

• Like 2

Ozzy. No offense and IMO, nothing Dio did in his self titled solo career touches Blizzard and Diary.

To be fair, I think Dio was more involved with the creation of his music than Ozzy, who if not for Rhoads and Daisley, we might not even be talking about him today.

• Like 4

Ozzy. No offense and IMO, nothing Dio did in his self titled solo career touches Blizzard and Diary.

To be fair, I think Dio was more involved with the creation of his music than Ozzy, who if not for Rhoads and Daisley, we might not even be talking about him today.

I've said that many times. Without Rhoads and Daisley, Ozzy is Paul Di'Anno. I love Ozzy's voice, and I can find something to enjoy on all his albums because I'm a fan. He was amazing live in the early 80s. But I love Maiden's first two albums too, and I suspect Di'Anno was a good live performer too. Ozzy owes his solo career to two perfect albums.

• Like 4

My .02 cents worth:

The first two Ozzy albums are better than Dio solo.

The first four Ozzy Sabbath albums are better than Sabbath with Dio.

Dio with Rainbow is better than everything Ozzy did after Diary of a Madman.

• Like 1

It's a good point but not really the question asked however...

Edited by Presto-digitation

I think Ozzy brought something to the table, enough so that if it wasn't Rhoads or Daisley or Jake E Lee it would have been someone else. George Lynch for instance was almost chosen by Ozzy twice so he would have been Ozzy's right hand man if there had been no Rhoads and co.

I saw Ozzy on the Diary, Speak and Bark tours. I saw Dio on the Last in Line tour. So I saw them both pretty much in their primes. Ozzy was more entertaining as a showman.

Are you serious? Just when I though we patched things up over Thin Lizzy!!!!! I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOU MY OZZY BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!! You saw Randy and Jake!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!

AWESOME!

• Like 1

I saw Ozzy on the Diary, Speak and Bark tours. I saw Dio on the Last in Line tour. So I saw them both pretty much in their primes. Ozzy was more entertaining as a showman.

Are you serious? Just when I though we patched things up over Thin Lizzy!!!!! I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOU MY OZZY BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!! You saw Randy and Jake!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!

AWESOME!

Not Randy, Earl. He died about two weeks before the show I saw. I saw Bernie Torme. He was pretty good though.

AWESOME!

Not Randy, Earl. He died about two weeks before the show I saw. I saw Bernie Torme. He was pretty good though.

Hey I'm glad you are on here now. I just wrote a poll in your honor!!

Wait what??? It wasn't Brad Gillis yet?? I forgot that Bernie Torme was in the band. Did you know Sharon and Ozzy begged Dave Meniketti to join the band after Randy passed? Dave declined. Like his own band. LOL!

But isn't it crazy that I saw Gillis jam on Saturday night in my little Walnut Creek pub? FUN TIMES!!!!

I love Brad. Great guy. NO EGO!

Brad told me that the story of him locking himself in his bedroom for 24 hours to learn all of the riffs and solos of Randy and Iommi was TRUE!!!!! He told me right to my face at a pizza join many years ago. Brad lives by me. He's always downtown! His daughter's mom is my ex brother in law's sister so I was always lucky enough to talk with Gillis at family functions too.

• Like 2

AWESOME!

Wait what??? It wasn't Brad Gillis yet?? I forgot that Bernie Torme was in the band. Did you know Sharon and Ozzy begged Dave Meniketti to join the band after Randy passed? Dave declined. Like his own band. LOL!

But isn't it crazy that I saw Gillis jam on Saturday night in my little Walnut Creek pub? FUN TIMES!!!!

Brad told me that the story of him locking himself in his bedroom for 24 hours to learn all of the riffs and solos of Randy and Iommi was TRUE!!!!! He told me right to my face at a pizza join many years ago. Brad lives by me. He's always downtown! His daughter's mom is my ex brother in law's sister so I was always lucky enough to talk with Gillis at family functions too.

I remember you talking about your connection with Gillis. :haz:

When Torme came out, my buddies and I wondered if the Randy crash story was a hoax, because he looked like him. Except he played a white Strat.

• Like 2

Friendly reminder that Magica exists

HAHAHA!!!

Union!!!!

I saw that tour at The Fillmore in SF! DORO opened!!! DIO sadly had to play the entire Magica album all the way through.

My buddy were upstairs waiting for the torture to end.

Instead, half way through the album we left the venue.

Probably stupid since we missed the second half of the show but man my buddy and I were going to jam ice picks into our ears!!

AWESOME!

I remember you talking about your connection with Gillis. :haz:

When Torme came out, my buddies and I wondered if the Randy crash story was a hoax, because he looked like him. Except he played a white Strat.

You have an excellent memory! Yes!! That goes way back.

I had no idea Bernie looked like a Randy clone. What other bands was he in? I'm sure I have some of this work with other bands.